Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamStation Humidifier Functioning Properly?
DreamStation Humidifier Functioning Properly?
I'm using the DreamStation Humidifier with Heated Tubing. I've been on CPAP for several years but just recently started using a humidifier due to dry mouth but I'm not sure if my humidifier is working as it should. I've got the humidifier set at "3" and heated tubing at "3". It's solved my dry mouth problem but I've noticed that the water in the humidifier remains at room temperature. I keep the bedroom at 70* and humidity remains at about 55%. I know that with the heated tubing, the operation of the humidifier is somewhat automated, but shouldn't the water temperature increase at least somewhat? The water temperature does increase during "Preheat" mode so i know the Heater Plate works....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamStation Humidifier Functioning Properly?
I'd think you'd have to actually measure the water temperature before and after to see if there's a change and by what amount. It's possible it's getting warmer, but it may be hard to notice without measuring it. Also if yours has a manual mode vs auto for the humidifier, manual may make it warmer yet.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The morning water temperature is the same as the ambient room temperature but it does use about 30ml of water during the night. That water consumption may be from passive humidification as the air passes over the room temperature water.
Thanks for your thoughts
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel for you. -
I've had the same problem/experience with the heated tube and humidifier on the Dreamstation.  I tried using the pre-heat function (which does work), then started the system, and then the hose heats slightly (by touch) in the first few minutes.  When I wake up during the night or the next morning, the hose and water are room temperature (but maybe they would have been colder due to evaporation, so I can't say there is no heat).  They sure aren't noticeably above room temperature.

I couldn't get to the 'Fixed' (manual setting) with the heated hose attached, only with the regular hose.  However, using the 'Fixed' setting and a regular hose, I quickly got "rain out" at all settings.

Now I am back to an unheated hose, 'Adaptive' setting, and set the humidifier at 4 or even maxed out at 5.  I feel the humidifier is working mediocre at this point, but the air does feel a little cooler than the heated hose.

I just can't get a setting that warms and humidifies more than the first few minutes or doesn't cause rain out.

Anyone have Dreamstation humidifier settings that work?

I live in the Northern U.S. where their is basically no humidity right now due to sub-zero winter temps, but don't go through more than 1/4 tank of water in 8 hours of use.
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidifiers on CPAP machines all have some form of automated climate control and manual controls. The manual settings will provide more humidity at any setting than auto, and the main trick is not to go overboard on it. Most heated tubes are simply designed to keep the tube wall warm enough not to result in condensation. At a setting of 80 degrees (24 C) that is about 18 degrees lower than body temperature. The tube is not intended to feel warm, it is warm enough to prevent condensation in a cool room.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got it figured out. The humidifier is working properly. Turns out, the room temperature was only slightly cooler than the humidifier set temperature. So close that I could not discern the difference. I recently slept with the windows open which lowered the bedroom temperature well below the humidifier set temperature. In the morning, the water temperature felt much warmer than the room.
Sorry for my "false alarm".
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 786 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
Sad Unable to get my BiPap treatment even started properly FrustratedSleeper 6 474 11-18-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.