Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamStation PRO issue
DreamStation PRO issue
I just purchased a Philips Dreamstation PRO. I only have one question... On the first night, I noticed that there was some residual water on top of the heater plate. A few drops were also in the silicone orifice which the humidifier butts up to. I think it may be from filling the reservoir to the MAX fill level and maybe the sloshing water (as I carried it) got into the tube which provides air from the main chamber into the humidifier as well as possible back flow as a result of putting the mask on after the machine turns on. The air might be causing water to splash upward and out. Has anyone else had this problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamStation PRO issue
It’s very easy to overfill a humidifier chamber. What I do, is fill to just under the line, instead of right on the max fill line.

I would make sure that everything is dry. Remove chamber, and use a soft cloth to dry whatever you can and let everything air dry for a bit.

Also, make sure your hose is angling downward toward the humidifier, so that any moisture would flow back in.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2018, 01:03 PM)OpalRose Wrote: It’s very easy to overfill a humidifier chamber.  What I do, is fill to just under the line, instead of right on the max fill line.  

I would make sure that everything is dry.  Remove chamber, and use a soft cloth to dry whatever you can and let everything air dry for a bit.  

Also, make sure your hose is angling downward toward the humidifier, so that any moisture would flow back in.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you completely. Indeed it is very difficult to see the MAX FILL LINE on these units unlike others I have used in the past. Unfortunately with the furnace running more often up here in the GREAT WHITE NORTH it does tend to dry the air quicker so I was afraid to underfill  it just in case it does run dry but presently seems to be using about 1/2 of the reservoir water supply.  It certainly doesn't help that these units lack a water fill or quantity window which almost every other comparable unit seem to have.
Post Reply Post Reply
In time, you will figure out what your humidifier usage is. Of course, that changes with the season. Don’t forget, you can always run a stand alone humidifier in your bedroom, which could be helpful.

Alot of the usage depends on the temperature and humidity level already in your room.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a black permanent marker to outline the full marks on my chamber.

One way I found to get the water level right without worrying about the fill line is to watch where the water level hits the bottom of the air tube in the middle of the water chamber. I found that stopping when there was between 1/2" to 1"  of water spread out across the bottom of the tube the level was good. This is much easier to see and just a accurate as using the fill marks. The image below shows the water level on the bottom of the tube when the water is right on the full mark. You could fill the chamber to the full line and look at the bottom of the tube to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

[Image: mTnpwIQ.jpg]
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the photo.  That's exactly it.  I think besides carrying it from the bathroom to the bedside which may have caused some water to enter the tube, it was also a bad idea to turn the unit on before putting the mask on which probably caused a lot of spraying internally as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
The air tube is actually sloped down toward the open end to make it harder to get water into the machine. I have actually filled the chamber enough to have water in the air tube and no water got in the machine, although it did gurgle for a while until the water level went down.

I think the most likely cause was water being sloshed into the unit when putting the chamber into the machine or when moving the machine after putting the chamber in. I always tip the back of the chamber down while placing it into the tray. Also, always remove the chamber before lifting or tipping the machine.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2018, 05:12 PM)pupcamper Wrote: I used a black permanent marker to outline the full marks on my chamber.

One way I found to get the water level right without worrying about the fill line is to watch where the water level hits the bottom of the air tube in the middle of the water chamber. I found that stopping when there was between 1/2" to 1"  of water spread out across the bottom of the tube the level was good. This is much easier to see and just a accurate as using the fill marks. The image below shows the water level on the bottom of the tube when the water is right on the full mark. You could fill the chamber to the full line and look at the bottom of the tube to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Response with Quote...
Thanks very much! Now I also just use the bottom of the tube to gauge the water level.

[Image: mTnpwIQ.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,313 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 76 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 618 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 168 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 330 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Humidification Issue With Air Mini ICS55 15 5,200 02-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pwnorris
  New Machine Issue pamm777 3 259 01-21-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.