Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamStation Problems
RE: DreamStation Problems
Zeeez Wrote:Last time I tried Sleepyhead it would work with my old S9 data but would not import Dreammapper data. Is this resolved now? Should I create two separate users, one for the old S9 data and another for the dream mapper data?

The latest version of SleepyHead 1.0 Beta works with the Dreamstation. There's no need to create a new profile - the software is smart enough to tell the machines apart and will give you a continuous record.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not noticed any water outside of the reservoir that on my wife's dream station. Could it be caused by condensation inside the humidity chamber?
Post Reply Post Reply
It was allot of water.

I just threw in the towel and got a new ResMed AirSense 10 from my supplier. The DreamStation had too many problems right away and has to last five years. Resmed does seem to have some cool features like air cooling and detailed humidity control.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had a Dreamstation for a couple of months now. The Bluetooth has worked fine every time. I've had no leaks from the humidifier tank.. in fact it has worked flawlessly. The only times I have modem problems have been cleared up by my supplier yelling at Philips support to fix things on their end (sounds to me like they outsource their software dev to India from what I've gathered in talking to the DreamStation support teams).

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, the BT is very flaky when connecting to either an iOS or Android device.

I suspect these new types of humidifiers with it's design make it quite susceptible to leaks or other issues that have been expressed here. The AirSense 10 has similar issues.

For me, whatever machine I decide: AirSense 10 or Dreamstation, I will buy an extended warranty because I don't think these new machines are very reliable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 08:37 PM)Hmm888 Wrote: For me, whatever machine I decide: AirSense 10 or Dreamstation, I will buy an extended warranty because I don't think these new machines are very reliable.

Well, the reason they sell extended warranties is because they make money on them. If they didn't make money on them they wouldn't be selling them. So if they make money on them where does the money come from? It comes from people who go for extended warranties of course...

If the machine is unreliable it's likely to fail well within the original warranty period. If they don't fail within that period they are likely to last longer than the extended warranty, so most people who buy them will just be chucking money away.

A CPAP machine is basically just a computer with a blower motor attached. Computers generally fail right away or last for a long time. If they fail right away the original warranty applies. If they last for a long time the extended warranty will be money in the bank for the seller of extended warranties. I think extended warranties are a bad idea for those who buy them. Just a poor bet. If they weren't poor bets (for you, meaning good bets for them) why would they be selling them?

But, if that's what you want, its up to you.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's been a couple of weeks no since changing over from the DreamStation to the AirSense 10 and, after I got them to give me a NEW machine, the AirSense 10 is a very good machine. There have been no issues what so ever. I think that the AirSense 10 is a much quieter machine and the autostart works on the first inhalation as opposed to the DreamStation taking three.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure that it was this particular CPAP machine that was troublesome and that no matter which brand you choose that there are good ones and bad ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 11:20 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Well, the reason they sell extended warranties is because they make money on them. If they didn't make money on them they wouldn't be selling them. So if they make money on them where does the money come from? It comes from people who go for extended warranties of course...

If the machine is unreliable it's likely to fail well within the original warranty period. If they don't fail within that period they are likely to last longer than the extended warranty, so most people who buy them will just be chucking money away.

You're partly right. In general, extended warranties are a huge money grab. The exceptions are household appliances and I think the newer CPAP machines. If CPAP machines were "reliable" they'd have standard warranties of 4 to 5 years.

With my old respironics machine, it started to make unusual noises about a month out of the warranty period. It was defective my DME said. Respironics replaced the unit as a "good will" gesture.

Perhaps writing "unreliable" is too strong of a word, but the manufacturers are making the units smaller and the quality doesn't seem to be there compared to the old style of the larger CPAPs.

Any way, at that time I had my CPAP replaced, my DME told me that Resmed normally never has a "good will" gesture and he sells many many different CPAP machines).

Besides, any additional revisions the new unit may have would be available to me once the warranty expired. It would be an extended warranty claim. I get a new machine. I think for me an extended warranty on a CPAP machine is a must. YMMV.
(05-19-2016, 07:24 PM)Zeeez Wrote: It's been a couple of weeks no since changing over from the DreamStation to the AirSense 10 and, after I got them to give me a NEW machine, the AirSense 10 is a very good machine. There have been no issues what so ever. I think that the AirSense 10 is a much quieter machine and the autostart works on the first inhalation as opposed to the DreamStation taking three.

I found the Dreamstation to be a lot more quieter than the AirSense 10. The AS10 has to be really far away from my bed (I have a longer hose) whereas the Dreamstation was right next to it and I had no issue with the noise. Others have confirmed this observation too.
Post Reply Post Reply
A classic case of " 'Your Milage May Vary".

As to the machine longevity, planned obsolescence is a design criteria assuring the companies longevity.

(05-28-2016, 12:11 AM)Hmm888 Wrote: I found the Dreamstation to be a lot more quieter than the AirSense 10. The AS10 has to be really far away from my bed (I have a longer hose) whereas the Dreamstation was right next to it and I had no issue with the noise. Others have confirmed this observation too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,007 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,839 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,565 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 996 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 461 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.