Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamStation and ResMed AirSense
DreamStation and ResMed AirSense
Hi All

I've been looking for a comparison of DreamStation vs ResMed
Although I'm sure there is quite a bit on that out there, it's tough to find... (what is the right search phrase and how much patience is available to read through all the non relevant search results)

Since Feb I have a DreamStation Go (DS) and since last weekend a ResMed AirSense 10 (RM)... not the "for Her"

What i've learned from the threads
- The DS is more latent in increasing pressure when events occur
- DS pushes a 1.5 cmH2O every so often to see if you need more pressure
- RM changes pressure more gradually

My own experience (at min 7 cmH2O):
- On DS my H count would be between 1 and 5; on the RM it has been 0 for all days used
- I see similar patterns of breathing anomalies in the flow rate on both RM and SD; too short to be counted as an apnea, but definitely no air going anywhere. On the RM these typically last 2 or 3 seconds shorter than on DS. since most of my Hypo-s seem to be just over 10 seconds, i can see how the RM deals better with that for me... (or is this where DS is 'sloppy' in recording the data)

- The OA and CA count are not significantly different between the 2 machines

Unfortunately the RM AirSense 10 (standard) does not register RERA events (the "for Her' does)
I'm considering changing out my RM for a RM "for Her", since my (self)diagnoses is UARS. and RERA event (RDI) starts to play a role.

I'm a data freak (comes with my profession) so I like the DS better for the amount and type of telemetry i get and can review in OSCAR
I 'have to' like the RM for getting me a better AHI... (very curious to my RDi on RM)

Now the TRUE test... How am I feeling....
Actually not that different between the 2, admittedly, not too long on the RM yet. 
If not for reading about it so much and creating a certain (unconscious) bias, i'm not sure i'd be able to tell the difference...

Any thoughts on changing to the "for Her" as I understand, basically the same as I have, but with an extra modus (which I read many folks don't like / use) and my only benefit is getting RERA data...

Thanks
 Richard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamStation and ResMed AirSense
Since I've never used it, I can't add to what you've already found.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamStation and ResMed AirSense
(05-12-2020, 10:42 AM)RPDM Wrote: Hi All

I've been looking for a comparison of DreamStation vs ResMed
. . .
Any thoughts on changing to the "for Her" as I understand, basically the same as I have, but with an extra modus (which I read many folks don't like / use) and my only benefit is getting RERA data...

Thanks
 Richard

Hi Richard,
I have never used a Phillips machine, so I can't offer any comparison there.  But I have recently upgraded from a Resmed S9 Autoset to the Airsense 10 Autoset For Her, and I can only compare the S9 and A10 in Autoset/Standard Response mode.  With the S9 my 6-month average AHI was 0.51, and 0.0 was rare.  In 11 days with the A10, I have 6 times scored 0.0, and the average AHI is 0.14.  The A10 is clearly doing a better job of managing my (highly positional) obstructive Apnea, even with such a small sample.  Other changes I see, with the S9, the Snore chart always showed a low level of snore.  With the A10, the Snore chart is consistently empty, and the daily statistics routinely show 4 0.00 values.  More importantly, the Flow Limit daily statistics have consistently showed 0.00 for the 95% value.  The S9 routinely showed  between 0.05 and 0.12 for the FL 95%.

Eventually, I'll experiment with the Soft Response and For Her modes, after I have a good baseline, but for now, the performance of this A10 is clearly better than the S9.

I would go with the For Her, as it costs the same as the base Autoset, and one never knows if conditions might change to make the other modes useful, even if not at the beginning.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 474 3 hours ago
Last Post: Old Steve
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,829 9 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  DreamStation 2 vs ResMed S9 gonzalo 3 71 03-25-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 620 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,624 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,811 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.