Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamStation humidifier comments
DreamStation humidifier comments
For few weeks now, I use the DreamStation with heated hose.
I tried various settings for the humidification.

With the room air very, very dry and not too hot (19 - 21C)

Humidifier set to 3 and hose set to 2, it was like breathing in rain forest during the monsoon season. Too much humidification. In the morning, after ~8 hours, the tank was bone dry.

Humidifier and hose, both set to 2, it was like Ontario woods in summer - still too humid to be comfortable. In the morning, after ~8 hours, the tank was dry.

Humidifier and hose, both set to 1, proved to be really comfortable. In the morning, after ~8 hours, he tank had just few drops of water left.

Added humidifier to the room so the surrounding air finally wasn't so dry.

Humidifier and hose, both set to 1, proved to be really comfortable. In the morning, after ~8 hours, he tank had just thin layer of water left on the bottom.

My thoughts are:
The humidification range is calibrated too hot. Upper numbers (5?) are totally unusable. I'd like to be able to set to something less than current 1 but not 0 (off)

The tank is too small.

Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamStation humidifier comments
I use a DeamStation with a standard hose using the Adaptive setting. I agree with you, the highest setting is too much. The DME set mine in 3 and a tank of water would last 4 or 5 days on low humidity periods and a full week on higher humidity periods (I don't use a humidifier in the house). About a month into my treatments I started having nose bleeds. Thinking it may be dry air, I started experimenting with the higher settings. 5 was too high. 4 felt a little high but stopped the nose bleeds so I continued using it until I got used to it. The humidity seems to stay at the same level and I haven't had any rainout regardless of the room conditions so the adaptive function must be working OK. A tank of water will last me 2 to 3 days, depending on room conditions. I keep our bedroom at 66 degrees F (about 19 degrees C) while sleeping.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! 3 days on a tank?! I never had with any machine unless the humidifier heater was turned off!
Considering that the heated tube should not really impact on the amount of water used, we are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to water usage. You don't live in a jungle so the air in your bedroom shouldn't be too humid. I'm really perplexed that you use so little water at 3 and I use so much at 1 ...
Thinking about it... I'll turn off the hose heat and see what happens.
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2016, 10:03 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Wow! 3 days on a tank?! I never had with any machine unless the humidifier heater was turned off!
Considering that the heated tube should not really impact on the amount of water used, we are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to water usage. You don't live in a jungle so the air in your bedroom shouldn't be too humid. I'm really perplexed that you use so little water at 3 and I use so much at 1 ...
Thinking about it... I'll turn off the hose heat and see what happens.

I live in a portion of the U.S. that has a higher than average humidity most of the time than most other areas due to an up flow of moist air from the Gulf of Mexico. Our humidity is regularly above 70% and our low humidity ranges more in the lower range of the comfort zone. In other words, our humidity is considered subtropical with dips of low humidity in the winter during cold snaps. That could be a factor in my low water usage.

Having said that, my understanding is all settings for the DreamStation humidifier, except for Adaptive, produce a fixed moisture output realitive to the heat setting chosen. The Adaptive setting tries to adjust the moisture output according to room conditions. Too bad it isn't available when a heated hose is being used. I hope you have better luck with the Adaptive setting.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your high humidity environment would explain why your machine is using so little water.
Over here, in summer, the humidity is very high but in winter, it's much drier. In my apartment, we have radiator heating which makes for extremely dry air. Portable room humidifier brings the air from extremely dry to, at best, dry...

My understanding is that in manual mode, it's basically a fixed heat setting - no different than the old systems.
"Adaptive" , as you wrote, adjusts to the room conditions.
Using heated tube, the adjustment is based on the input from the sensor at the end of the heated tube so, in theory, it should be producing even more consistent humidification.

Last night, I had the hose heat set to Off, humidifier to 1. In the morning, about quarter of the tan was left. I didn't expect that! The air delivered to the mask was noticeably cooled and not as comfortable for my nostrils and sinuses... I'll be back to setting of 1 for the hose and humidifier - it's the most comfy setting for me and there is just enough water to last through the night. Still, I'd expect the comfy setting to be closer to the middle settings of 2 or 3 and wish that the tank would be larger.
Post Reply Post Reply
Its pretty hard to compare humidity usage with someone living in Canada to someone in Arkansas. The CPAP's can sense the room air humidity and adjust accordingly dependent on your settings.
So you just have to try different settings to see what feels best for you, and note that according to the time of year, that will change.

I tried one time to turn the heated hose to off, and couldn't take the cool air blowing up my nostrils. Very uncomfortable.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 09:34 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Its pretty hard to compare humidity usage with someone living in Canada to someone in Arkansas. The CPAP's can sense the room air humidity and adjust accordingly dependent on your settings.
So you just have to try different settings to see what feels best for you, and note that according to the time of year, that will change.

I tried one time to turn the heated hose to off, and couldn't take the cool air blowing up my nostrils. Very uncomfortable.

I really wasn't trying to compare humidity usage. I was just sharing my experience with the Adaptive setting on the DreamStation. Since GPSMapNut hadn't mentioned that setting I thought it might be something he would want to look at. He tried it and it didn't do what he wanted.

Isn't this world a wonderful and diverse place? Look at the difference in the weather in Canada and Arkansas. Also, neither of you like the cool air from the humidifier blowing in your face, while I love it. These differences are what make life so interesting. You guys have a good weekend.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
I-love-Apnea-Board
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 01:39 PM)OpalRose Wrote: I-love-Apnea-Board

I got back on looking for a Like button and I found it! like
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 01:01 PM)pupcamper Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 09:34 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Its pretty hard to compare humidity usage with someone living in Canada to someone in Arkansas. >>>>>>>>

>>>>>>> Also, neither of you like the cool air from the humidifier blowing in your face, while I love it. These differences are what make life so interesting. You guys have a good weekend.

It may be hard to compare but, I still think that we should do it - it gives us a better insight on how the settings work in various environment.

As for the cool air up my nostrils; I thought I loved it. Now, I'm not sure how did I put up with it for the last 11 years!

As for the cool air blowing in the face, since I started to use P10, my wife says that she is missing the breeze she used to get from my mask. It's winter so it's OK but come summer, I may have to switch to using the Thinking-about DreamWear

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 323 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 788 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 517 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.