Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamWear Mask - How often replace cushions
DreamWear Mask - How often replace cushions
The DreamWear mask has replaceable cushions, but I don't see any recommended replacement schedule for the cushions. It looks like they recommend replacing the entire mask (frame & cushion) and headgear every six months. I got some extra cushions thinking they needed to be replaced sooner, but I am still using my original cushion after two months and it still seems to seal ok and my leaks are no more then when it was new. Are other people using just one cushion for the whole six months?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamWear Mask - How often replace cushions
(02-16-2016, 08:48 AM)Sacktime Wrote: The DreamWear mask has replaceable cushions, but I don't see any recommended replacement schedule for the cushions. It looks like they recommend replacing the entire mask (frame & cushion) and headgear every six months. I got some extra cushions thinking they needed to be replaced sooner, but I am still using my original cushion after two months and it still seems to seal ok and my leaks are no more then when it was new. Are other people using just one cushion for the whole six months?

The cushion (the nose piece) should be replaced every two weeks according to Medicare. What I find is that the cushion doesn't seem to seal as well after two weeks of use. I have worn them longer them despite the leaks, but nothing like two months! If you are getting both good sealing and good comfort, why replace them? I wouldn't. But make sure you clean them.

Walt
Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess it is great that Medicare covers every two weeks, but I am not on Medicare yet so need to watch costs. I must assume that Medicare thinks people don't clean the cushion, I clean mine often. So I guess I will just watch my leak numbers and go from there, maybe replace it at 3 months and complete headgear at 6.
Post Reply Post Reply
So where can you get replacement cushions? I can't seem to find anything online
Post Reply Post Reply
I get the 2/month from Medicare and I think that changing them is a good idea. I usually go longer than two weeks but notice more leaks after two weeks. I clean my equipment every day. I can't believe that the cost from several of the suppliers listed on the forum is $38.99 for one cushion! I recently switched back to my Wisp mask, however since my leaks were out of control with the DreamWear mask--the mask frame will be replaced in March but I think it hasn't held up. I haven't been able to wear a chin strap with the DreamWear, and can do so successfully with the Wisp so think I will go that route for awhile. I just had a knee replacement and needed to stop the leaks for the hospital--thought the cervical collar I was using would have drawn some comments at the hospital stay.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2016, 11:36 PM)holden4th Wrote: So where can you get replacement cushions? I can't seem to find anything online

My DME had them, the part number for the Small Cushion is 1116740.

CPAP supply has the different sizes under SKU 111674x for 38.99

(02-22-2016, 12:41 AM)SideSleeper Wrote: I get the 2/month from Medicare and I think that changing them is a good idea. I usually go longer than two weeks but notice more leaks after two weeks. I clean my equipment every day. I can't believe that the cost from several of the suppliers listed on the forum is $38.99 for one cushion! I recently switched back to my Wisp mask, however since my leaks were out of control with the DreamWear mask--the mask frame will be replaced in March but I think it hasn't held up. I haven't been able to wear a chin strap with the DreamWear, and can do so successfully with the Wisp so think I will go that route for awhile. I just had a knee replacement and needed to stop the leaks for the hospital--thought the cervical collar I was using would have drawn some comments at the hospital stay.

I am now at 2 1/2 months on my first cushion and I am not seeing any increase in leaks. At 38.99 per cushion (I have to pay out-of-pocket) I am going to try and stretch it to 3 months and then replace the cushion unless I see my leaks go up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't replace the cushions if they weren't leaking. The mask frame also stretches--I had to cinch mine up quit a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2016, 05:35 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I wouldn't replace the cushions if they weren't leaking. The mask frame also stretches--I had to cinch mine up quit a bit.

My medium frame was a bit snug on my face when new so if it has stretched I haven't noticed. Still seems the same as when new.
Post Reply Post Reply
My insurance pays for a replacement mask every year. I have been using the Dreamwear for almost a year, washing it every day, and found no difference. In fact, all sizes of cushions came with my mask and they all work well (!!), so if the medium is ever worn out, I'll just use the M-Wide or the large.
Post Reply Post Reply
The replacement needs will vary by the person. I got just over 3 months of use out of my first cushion. It did not respond to the boil refresh method at all that seems to work for pillows. If you mask is stretching out, you may have it too tight. You can always get some good deals (I will pm you with suggestions). My only problem is that I started developing some soreness above my lip about the time the cushion was giving up the ghost so switched to my Swift for a bit. I'm currently testing a Circadiance 3D mask before going back to Dreamwear.

Medicare codes them as pillows which is why you get 2 every month.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 88 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 295 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 789 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 246 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 582 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  When do I REALLY need to replace items? BlueSky1958 19 1,072 12-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Philips DreamWear FFM mask size question cps22 0 333 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: cps22

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.