Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask users
DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask users
Hi, I am using ResMed Airfit 10 pillows which are working well. But I decided to try the DreamWear Nasal mask because I liked the idea of the hose on the top of the mask and it not getting in my way (so much). 

I was disappointed because the DreamWear mask does not allow me to sleep on my side - but I really liked it for sleeping on my back. The company adds say that it works for side sleeping, but it doesn't for me. I always get a leak around my nose, and sleeping on one side of the air hose (to my nose) seems to give me less air. Sometimes I start out on my back with the DreamWear and when I wake up in the night and want to sleep on my side I'll quickly switch to the pillows. Needless to say, that's not ideal, so I'll probably just forget about the Dreamwear and keep using the pillows all the time.

My question is just this: Has anyone else had success sleeping on your side with the DreamWear ask? Any suggestions?

Sleepytimegal
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask users
Hi Sleepytimegal   Are you sure you have the correct size of the Dreamwear?  Frame and nose piece?  Once I found the right size (s) I had to tighten it a little bit at a time until it stopped leaking when on my side.  Even now, I tighten up the straps very slightly every week or so as the fabric head strap stretches out.  I put a dot on the end of the strap with a marker, then loosen and re-attach just past the dot so I can control how much I move.  I have been able to use successfully for sleeping on my side by having it tight enough to not be pushed aside.  I really like the hose on top and it is the best mask for me!  Best of luck to you!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2017, 07:25 PM)Mark71 Wrote: Hi Sleepytimegal   Are you sure you have the correct size of the Dreamwear?  Frame and nose piece?  Once I found the right size (s) I had to tighten it a little bit at a time until it stopped leaking when on my side.  Even now, I tighten up the straps very slightly every week or so as the fabric head strap stretches out.  I put a dot on the end of the strap with a marker, then loosen and re-attach just past the dot so I can control how much I move.  I have been able to use successfully for sleeping on my side by having it tight enough to not be pushed aside.  I really like the hose on top and it is the best mask for me!  Best of luck to you!

"Are you sure you have the correct size of the Dreamwear?  Frame and nose piece? "

I think maybe I don't have the right frame size, now that you brought it up? They gave me a medium frame and right away I thought I should have the small because my head is small. But it said that the medium frame fit almost everyone, so I went with it and it seems OK when I am on my back. But now I realize the leaking when I am on my side is probably because the frame is not tight enough to hold it in place. I'm going to try the small frame and hopefully I will be able to use it on my side. I really wanted it to work.

Thanks Mark71,
Sleepytimegal
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep on my side 80% of the night and Dreamwear works great for that. I agree, the frame size might not be right. Sometimes though, your face or nose just doesn't fit the mask. I gave up with the Airfit P10 for that reason. It's a great mask for most, but just doesn't fit everybody.
Post Reply Post Reply
I love my DreamWear.

I had the same problem when I tried to sleep on my side. Going down a size for a cushion TOTALLY solved the problem.

So I would encourage you, before forming a solid opinion, to try the various (smaller) sizes of cushions and even maybe a smaller head thingy (the silicone things that come down to the nose cushion).

Now that I have a better cushion size, I have no problem sleeping on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no problems side sleeping with the Dreamwear. When I start to see leak increases then I know it's time to change the nose piece. A good pillow also helps. I have two on my bed. One is goose down and the other is buckwheat hulls. Both work well. I use the down pillow for edge of the pillow sleeping and the buckwheat for middle of the pillow sleeping. I can roll from one side sleeping position to the other.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would agree with some of the other posts here, you may need to play with the headgear/cushion sizes in order to find one that allows side-sleeping.  I actually found that (unlike with p10), the smaller the cushion on the dreamwear the more effective the seal.  On the fit guide, I fell between a M and a S, but the M leaked excessively.  

You can find the nasal cushion sizing-guide at: https://www.sleepapnea.com/documents/Dre...-Guide.pdf

Getting the frame right is also important because it controls the angle at which the cushion sits under the nose. If the frame is too big, the cushion will angle backwards making an effective seal more difficult.

The following image shows the correct fit for the frame:

[Image: T30SNsi.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone! I love all the great feedback I get on this forum. I am off to my DME to get the small frame. I already have the different cushion sizes, so will experiment and hope I can come up with a winning combination. If it doesn't work the Airfit P10 works fine, but I just like this one better - hose on the top - feels like the air is coming through better - more aesthetically pleasing. I like the way I can disconnect the hose and comfortablby walk around. I guess I'm trying to say I just don't like that hose hanging down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Best of luck Sleepytimegal. You have already had some great advice above! Some people really love the Dreamwear and swear by it. I myself didn't have any luck with it no matter what sizes I tried. I constantly got leaks, especially on my side. As you can see from my profile on the left I stuck with the Airfit P10 pillows. They work great for me and no more leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had great success side-sleeping after I bought a high end memory foam neck pillow to use with my Dreamwear mask (the neck pillow filled with the tiny beads did not work).    Good Luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 100 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,379 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,229 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 152 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 300 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.