Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask users
RE: DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask users
My first experience with Dreamwear was actually my first night on CPAP. It was a horrible experience! Partly due to because it was my first night dealing with a mask and most of all because it was leaking all over the place. I ended the night with AHI of 11. I switched to Nuance Pro the next day and AHI went down to 3. I was very glad that CPAP therapy actually worked.

Then I ordered the gel pillows and I must say it made a world of difference. Leaks are down as well as AHI. Although like most people, I love the fact that the tubing runs over the head instead of the front of the nose, I still favor the Nuance Pro over the Dreamwear with Gel Pillows because of better fitment. I quickly realized that it wasn't such a big deal.

Will probably come back and try out the Dreamwear again down the road but in the meantime, the Nuance Pro will be my main mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have only used the dreamwear for the past month but love it. I am a side sleeper and do well with it. It did take me a few attempts to get the headgear adjusted properly but it is working for me now.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started with the Dreamwear when I started CPAP therapy in March.  Thought it was a bit loud, particularly when sleeping on my side, and so tried other masks (P10, F10, and Wisp), but in the end, I get the best results with the Dreamwear (usually between 5-10 - just can't see to get better than that consistently).

I just got a replacement Dreamwear from my DME, and I noticed right away that the elbow at the connection is shorter and the old disconnect piece (the small white piece that stays in the tubing) does not fit the new one.  Further, the two side tubes that come from the top to the nose seem thicker and the mask as a whole seems quieter, including when sleeping on my side.  I definitely like it better.  I did not see any literature suggesting a change to the mask, but I think it's an improvement.  Has anyone else noticed this?  When ordering in the future, is there anyway to insure getting the newer one?

I also just ordered a Dreamwear nasal pillow piece to try that out.  I really liked the P10 and did well when it worked, but had issues wherein the large would leak some nights, but the medium holes were too small to provide enough air if one of my nostrils was stuffed up (a regular occurrence).  Hoping that maybe this will not be the case with the DW pillows.

-John
Post Reply Post Reply
OK so I have now been using the new DreamWear Gel (DWG) nasal mask for the past 3 nights and I have to say I love it! It stays put on my nose 100% of the night without feeling too tight or in any way uncomfortable. It stays in place when I sleep on my side even with my face partially mashed into my pillow and and when rolling over in bed it likewise stays put. I have awoken 3 mornings with no discomfort where the nasal pillows sit over the nostrils.

Compare to the original DreamWear nasal mask: I find I have to adjust it somewhat once or twice during the night to stop leaking air. Otherwise very similar as it is just the nasal part that is different.

So comparing to the P10's: the P10's on me do not stay put on the nostrils as securely as the DWG. I find myself having to adjust them during the night when I am rolling onto my side and have the side of my head into the pillow, and also when rolling around to different positions. Having the hose at the top of the head is much more to my liking than having it hang down like the P10's do. Also just in case this is helpful to anyone, using the P10's I find I need the M pillow size, however, I am glad I didn't just buy the DWG M pillows as I find with it I use the small size.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I was given the dreamwear mask by my provider and tried it for several months.  I'm a new APAP user and just assumed that this was the best mask.  Had no idea that there's no 'best' mask for everyone.
The dreamwear is way to 'fiddly' for me.  It moves out of position when side sleeping because of the stiffness and springiness of the inflated side tubes combined with the nosepiece.  The nosepiece itself is a novel idea, and when in place seals comfortably, but PR hasn't figured out how to immobilize its position in combination with the rest of a mask.  The side tubes cause unnecessary air noise transmission through one's head when lying on some surfaces.
I've put more time and effort into trying to make this mask work for me than it's worth, mainly because of the cool looking slim and minimalistic design, the lightness, unbreakable nature and ease of packing for travel, and top connection.  But I now have been using a Wisp nasal mask and getting way better AHI numbers....and no leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's funny how different masks work for different people. I guess there are as many face shapes and sleep patterns as there are people.  I started with the original Dreamwear when I started CPAP last April, and too found it a bit noisy and iffy when I moved to sleep on my side.  Since then I've tried the Wisp, the F20, the P10, the Zest and the new Dreamwear Nasal Pillows (some in multiple sizes).  For some reason, most of these worked for a little while and there were things about each I loved. But after a couple of days or weeks, the API started to rise, sometimes regularly to the teens. They also all tend to leak slightly too often, which drives me batty. I always end up right back with the original Dreamwear.  I've found a tightness that seems to seal 99% of the time, even on the side (the biggest problem being the vent port on the mask hitting the pillow or my hand on the side), and I guess I've gotten used to the noise through the tubes, since it doesn't bother me anymore. I also think that the tubes on the later headwear area bit thicker than the original and don't transmit the sound as much.  I think the level of pressure can also make a big difference to which masks work and which don't.  Keeping the nose piece clean of oils also helps keep the seal.  I'm always under 8 with the original Dreamwear and often under 5.  I wish I could get down to the lower digits, but so far never under 2.9 and at least half the time over 5.  Some day we'll figure it out! -John
Post Reply Post Reply
Ron, that need to reposition the mask once in a while is a deal killer for me.  That's not what I call good performance for a mask.  I want to go to sleep knowing that the mask will do its job all night without leaks, and I can't monitor that while I'm asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2017, 04:29 PM)cronkster Wrote: I was given the dreamwear mask by my provider and tried it for several months.  I'm a new APAP user and just assumed that this was the best mask.  Had no idea that there's no 'best' mask for everyone.
The dreamwear is way to 'fiddly' for me.  It moves out of position when side sleeping because of the stiffness and springiness of the inflated side tubes combined with the nosepiece.  The nosepiece itself is a novel idea, and when in place seals comfortably, but PR hasn't figured out how to immobilize its position in combination with the rest of a mask.  The side tubes cause unnecessary air noise transmission through one's head when lying on some surfaces.
I've put more time and effort into trying to make this mask work for me than it's worth, mainly because of the cool looking slim and minimalistic design, the lightness, unbreakable nature and ease of packing for travel, and top connection.  But I now have been using a Wisp nasal mask and getting way better AHI numbers....and no leaks.

I'm with you, cronkster!  I've tried multiple times to make the Dreamwear mask work with both the cushion and pillows, but no go because of noise and slippage.  Back to my tried and true Wisp!  I use a soft cervical collar to keep the leaks to a low level and have a 30 day AHI of 0.70 and 0.32 for the last week.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just add foam neck cushion to resolve all my side sleeping problems...good luck
(recovering from knee replacement surgery a week ago)
Post Reply Post Reply
So I've had the dreamwear pillow since the beginning. I've used both the small and medium pillows and the medium is more comfortable despite me fitting the small better. I need to adjust it at least once per night as it tends to move around a bit. I get a fair bit of irritation with the pillow, unfortunately it all depends on how it is set up, some nights are better than others. I've ordered the DWG mask (cheaper here to get the full mask than it is to get 2 cushions) and that'll be coming this week. I'm hoping for good things.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,067 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.