Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamWear Sores
RE: DreamWear Sores
Thank you guys for the advise.

So last night I just washed my face and then added just a little moisturizer around the area. This morning I noticed that was nostril was better but the spot below my nose was bothering me last night. I adjusted the head strap for almost no pressure in my head and was good sleeping face up. It would leak somewhat if I was on my side though. My AHI went from 2 the previous night to 3 last night.

The small nose vent seemed to rub my nostrils and bottom nose. I replaced it with the medium and the nostril was fine except the bottom of the nose was still tender. My conclusion is that I have been wearing the mask way too tight, well some of you guys would have known that.

We have some bactrin laying around the house so I'll use that during the day. I think I will go with the AYR gel since I think lanolin will be a bit messy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know some of you guys suggest patience, but, but.

I went ahead and ordered a Nuance Pro Gel Nasal pillow.

One thing I notice with my DreamWear is that a leaks a little while side sleeping. Even more last night when I loosened the straps due to my sores. I read that the Nuance is the best for side sleepers.
Post Reply Post Reply
after you put pressure to your mask try this,

take the mask, pull it away from your face about 1/8 of an inch.

when you put the mask back onto your face, you'll notice the area around the slot will "billow" out like the main sail of a sail boat. Seat the bottom edge of the billow at the base of your nostrils.

take the mask and twist it up slightly so the top of the billow is just above the top of your nostril then let it complete the seal.

I have to do this as well.

Have you tried all nose pieces that came with your mask?

for me;
  • Small - is way to small

• Medium - is better but it's just not quite big enough to make the seal

• Large - Gads Zooks I could get others in here with me, it's like being in a wind tunnel

• Medium Wide - Just Right!

Of course, YMMV.. me I'm getting about 43.8 PPB (Parsecs per breath) on mine! Laugh-a-lot
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
I will try that thank you.

I am especially intrigued by the fit technique you just mentioned. My main sore is at the base of my nostrils. By pulling it up at the end might help that issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok quick update on my mask situation.

So I messed around with my DreamWear mask the last three days. I adjusted the straps perfectly and I also started using the medium wide nose piece. It's perfect except that I had problems sleeping on my side. Whenever I turned I was conscious about doing it inn a form so it would not leak, bur then it would wake me up ten minutes later, leaking. Tuesday night my AHI was up to 3.1 due mostly to leaks.

Well yesterday I received a new Nuance Pro mask. It was easy to adjust with the medium nose pillow. I had absolutely no problem sleeping on my sides and the AHI went down to 1.5.

Pro mask is staying DreamWear will be my back up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations on finding a mask you can work with. Finding a mask that works well was the hardest part of cpap for me. I used a Nuance Pro with good success until I switched to the AirFit P10 and still use it as a backup. It is a good mask.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
My trick when I get irritated areas:

Use a medical grade porous paper tape for sensitive skin. There are several brands to choose from (big name brands) and you can find them in almost any first aid section of a grocery or drug store. They have light adhesive and breathe. Use scissors to trim a piece to fit and stick it to your skin. You might have to play with it a little bit, depending on the situation you can cut and paste several pieces back to back so the adhesive doesn't stick to a sore area but does stick around the edges. The mask will still make a good seal, but any rubbing or other contact will be on the tape instead of your skin.

My first mask, ever, was a Fisher & Paykel and the pad on the bridge of my nose had some kind of material that caused my skin in that area to break out. I switched a week later to a different brand of mask and have never had a problem like that again. There might have been some kind of latex or some other blend of silicone that caused a reaction. The only relief I had, until I got a new mask, was that tape trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2016, 12:00 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: I had a small bump come up on thr right side as you describe. It was the presence of a lotion, ie sunscreen left on when i took an evening nap.  
 More likely making sure there is NO oils etc will stop the problem.

A sidenote.  I love the Dreamwear but I dont see how a man or woman with short hair uses one.
 I have long hair so I jusy ponytail it at night and slip the head strap under it to keep the strap from sliding up the back of my head.

If I were to cut my hair it wouldnt stay on three minutes before falling off.

I just gave up on the Redmed F20 in favor of a pillow mask to see if I could keep my mouth shut and not be claustrophobic from the full face mask. I'm only on my 2nd week here, at the bottom of the learning curve. For my 2nd mask, I went with the Dreamwear pillow as it felt better than the Dreamwear nasal in the office chair (no bed). Well with the Dreamwear, I learned I can breath thru my allergy ridden nose and keep my mouth shut, I can make it thru the night in bed w/o ripping the mask off and finally I got sleep with pressurized air,,, first time.  Unsure

Now the con and the reason I quoted the post above as it was the only post I could find that mentions the malfunctioning headstrap. The strap simply won't stay down. I'm 67, bald with some hair in the back,,, but not enough hair for a ponytail like the lady's solution above unfortunately. There is simply no way to keep this darn strap from riding up my head to the point that I can slide 4 fingers under the tubes on top of my head. Being a side sleeper, air leaks from the loosened pillows like a sieve. Over tightening the straps was my only solution but I know it's not the right one as the once comfortable pillows became very uncomfortable. My only thoughts are an elastic strap with Velcro ends that would go under my neck and attach to the back of the head strap effectively holding it down. Any thoughts or better ideas?

My only other thought is to take all the pluses I've learned and move on to another mask even tho I really like the Dreamwear, especially the hose location,,, very very nice. But as easily it is for that headstrap to slide up the head, I'm really surprised so little is said about it as it makes this mask practically unusable..I'm wondering if the duel strap Airfit P10 would have the same issues for an active side sleeper? The N20 with it's sturdy headgear is another thought even tho I really do like the feel of pillows. 

I'm on week 2 of a 3 month window with my medicare supplier to try on as many masks as necessary. But with the Dreamwear pillow, I'm at least in the game.

Cheers,
Robin
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your post. I have a problem too, and it won't go away.
I have a bump at base of my right nostril.
Started with Wisp. So I went through 4? Dreamwears thinking it would go away. That' about 2 years worth.
Now my gp says it has to come off.
I was actually in surgery in hospital. Surgeon gave me 3 months to control it. She sent me home with it still in. Get it off. I've tried several things. It's still there.

Thanks so much for your post. Let's beat these things together.

I use a ResMed N20 now. It's much better. I need to do a better job of mask washing and cleaning.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I had a similar problem and felt I had to overtighten the Dreamwear (the kind that just sits on your nostrils) due to facial hair to keep a good seal as I'm a side/belly/back/repeat sleeper. I switched to Dreamwear nasal gel pillows and any leak issues were then gone and I can keep the headwear ridiculously loose and maintain a perfect seal. To combat any sores (which I had often with my Mirage Swift II) I would use Neosporin (applied with Qtip) if there was a 'bump' then switch to Ayr Saline Nasal Gel until the prob was completely gone. When any type of CPAP mask is new there is an element of getting used to it as well.

Keep any nasal pillows fanatically clean and make sure the headgear is a loose as possible without compromising the seal and unless you accidentally sleep on your face at an odd angle I think you should avoid any future issues.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamwear vs P30i Whacked 0 99 04-09-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Whacked
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 347 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 858 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Y no photos of mask-caused "sores" on the www? nelsonka 1 391 12-15-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Philips DreamWear FFM mask size question cps22 0 344 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Dreamwear/F30i Rebdr 1 528 11-03-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] Phillips Dreamwear mask is whistling melody 2 614 09-26-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.