Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamWear mask thoughts & Questions...
DreamWear mask thoughts & Questions...
So I've used the DreamWear mask 3 nights so far, the 3rd lasting until 04:20 then switched back to the old standby Swift FX.

Do others find the DreamWear mask noisy on inhale? I certainly am. Is there a setting on the A10 Elite I can tweak to help with this? Does it by any chance have anything to do with EPR setting? Mine is set at 3 currently.

My Leak Rate seems to be better wearing the DreamWear and my AHI was .99.

I actually prefer wearing the Swift FX as it feels more secure on me and it is easier to adjust when I notice a mask leak. However, I really like the fact that the DreamWear has the hose connecting on the top of the head and I don't have to be conscious of where the hose is. But while wearing the DreamWear I think I was very conscious of it and kept thinking there were leaks and therefore slightly adjusting it every time I turned over. It could partly be that I was given one size larger headgear than I should have as that is all the DME had at the time. And I am thinking it is partly because there is another vent on top of the 'nasal pillow'.

So I am not sure which mask I should wear currently, bearing in mind that my sleep doc is looking at my results when I next see him in 3 weeks. Or based on the SH screenshots I posted, will it make any sizeable difference? He has told me that unless this latest pressure increase solves any current issues that he'll be looking at trialling me on an Auto CPAP. I really do hope this is the case, although I do want my therapy to be successful either way.

[attachment=1908]
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamWear mask thoughts & Questions...
I went from Swift FX to DreamWear.
My thoughts on DreamWear:
It is quieter and my wife confirms that. Now, I can hear the blower spooling up and down. Before, the white noise created by Swift FX was drowning that sound.
Better fitting - I don't have to adjust it every time I change my sleeping position.
Also experienced much better sealing - leaks went down from over 30% to under 10%
I love that the connection is on top of the headgear - I don't have to deal any more with the elephant nose.
More comfortable in general.
Initially, I was concerned that I may not work too well with the headboard but, no problems.
The only complaint I have - there is small air leak at the swivel joint. I can not really hear it but, I can feel it if I put my hand over there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the dreamwear without success. It is noisier (for you, but not for the person in bed with you) as the exhales go by your ear. I kept getting leaks by tossing and turning at night (which is normal for me) and gave up after a few nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 01:10 PM)iSteph Wrote: I tried the dreamwear without success. It is noisier (for you, but not for the person in bed with you) as the exhales go by your ear. I kept getting leaks by tossing and turning at night (which is normal for me) and gave up after a few nights.

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same mask or I misunderstand what you are saying. I just double checked my DreamWear mask and there are no exhaust ports nowhere near the ears. The only exhaust port I see is a single, rectangular opening at the very front of the mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like there is some minute holes that could be a vent on the little plastic elbow that goes between the gel part of the mask and where the hose connects.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Reply Post Reply
It was my understanding that there is a vent close to the hose connection.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Aha, I found it - there are small vent holes right on the elbow of the swivel joint. So that is the "leak" I was complaining about. Anyhow, this is nowhere near the ears. As stated in my original post, I can not hear it neither can my wife. Come to think about it, it is entirely possible that in some sleeping position, the air from these holes may be hitting a pillow or a headboard and make noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 08:42 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Aha, I found it - there are small vent holes right on the elbow of the swivel joint. So that is the "leak" I was complaining about. Anyhow, this is nowhere near the ears. As stated in my original post, I can not hear it neither can my wife. Come to think about it, it is entirely possible that in some sleeping position, the air from these holes may be hitting a pillow or a headboard and make noise.

I believe the poster meant the air flow whooshes past the ears, because of the way the frame's designed. I haven't noticed it being overly noisy, but I also have a fan running all night for white noise, so I'm maybe not as sensitive to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first go to bed I consider the DreamWear mask a little noisy on inhale also, but have learned to get used to it. It took about a month before I was comfortable with any mask and could get to sleep in less than 30 to 60 minutes. Now it doesn't bother me much, and my respiration rate drops pretty low most of the night and I often wake up and can't tell if the CPAP is working--I'm on fixed pressure. SH says I do have some leaks, but always low and they don't register--I have 100% fit every night. I don't move around much after I am settled. I used a Wisp for the first 2 weeks but didn't like the vent position--it would often hit me in the eye and I kept getting tangled in the hose. Love the DreamWear!
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I wore the DreamWear again and at 02:57 awoke not only with a headache, but also to leaks from the mask not seating properly. I tightened the headgear more and it was fine and leak free the rest of the night. Looking at the data on SH confirms this. Still had 6 obstructive events with 4 of those occurring after the mask was tightened, so the mask not tight enough was not causing false obstructives.

Having to tighten the DreamWear to achieve a better leak rate makes me wonder now if I had the smaller size P10 headgear if that would have worked better with better leak rate (the DME only had the regular P10's for me to trial). After all, the P10's For Her headgear is an inch shorter. Hmmmmmm....

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 10 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 266 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 292 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,740 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 305 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.