Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DreamWear mask thoughts & Questions...
RE: DreamWear mask thoughts & Questions...
(11-24-2015, 10:38 PM)angiessa Wrote: I believe the poster meant the air flow whooshes past the ears, because of the way the frame's designed. I haven't noticed it being overly noisy, but I also have a fan running all night for white noise, so I'm maybe not as sensitive to it.

In that case, the headgear may be too large - if the side tubes are too close to the eyes, one needs larger size headgear. If too close to the ears, a smaller size should be used. Also (I'm guessing) some people may be more sensitive to certain noise frequencies than others and that's why, among other subjective impressions, there never will be a mask that is the very best for everybody. Still, there must be some reasons (other than advertising) that Swift FX and P10 are so popular. DreamWear is a new kid on the block but, looks like it's gaining in popularity rather fast. Will it dethrone ResMed in nasal pillows?
OK, time to get off my soap box and go back to real work.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well luckily I'm retired and can stay on my soapbox all day LOL!

I've actually wondered if the DreamWear could be altered to have actual nasal pillows but yet not detachable like other headsets. That way the nasal pillows could still be attached to the hallow tubing that goes from under the nose to the top of the head thereby still being able to have the hose connection on the top of the head as this is one of the most liked features of the DreamWear. That would be my ideal headset!!

And after reading your post above GPSMapNut, yes I definitely need a smaller size headgear as the gel tubes of the DreamWear are touching my ears.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had mine for almost 2 weeks.

- i started wearing it loose but the leaks were enough to wake me up (when it is on right it is scary quiet, sometimes I wake up and think I took it off in my sleep!)
- I slowly started tightening it up slightly but I worry it's too tight (although no leaks), according the fitting charts it is sitting right and I am using the right sized nose piece (medium), it feels fine while on
- now that it is tight, limited leaks but my nose is starting bother me where it connect to my lip (not as bad as the wisp where it got my nose infected but it's not good).....or maybe I am paranoid.'it doesn't hurt while on just after I take it off

Overall I hope the nose issue doesn't get worse and I will continue to mess with fitting. Example last night I wake us to this leaky hiss. Quick tightening of the straps and I wake up to deadly quiet. I take it off and my nose is sore for the rest of the day!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 10:16 PM)cliftonio Wrote: I have had mine for almost 2 weeks.

- i started wearing it loose but the leaks were enough to wake me up (when it is on right it is scary quiet, sometimes I wake up and think I took it off in my sleep!)
- I slowly started tightening it up slightly but I worry it's too tight (although no leaks), according the fitting charts it is sitting right and I am using the right sized nose piece (medium), it feels fine while on
- now that it is tight, limited leaks but my nose is starting bother me where it connect to my lip (not as bad as the wisp where it got my nose infected but it's not good).....or maybe I am paranoid.'it doesn't hurt while on just after I take it off

Overall I hope the nose issue doesn't get worse and I will continue to mess with fitting. Example last night I wake us to this leaky hiss. Quick tightening of the straps and I wake up to deadly quiet. I take it off and my nose is sore for the rest of the day!
your story scares me because i had the same problem the very first fit
if the lower middle part of your nose is sore above your lip the mask is way to tight i started off with a med frame and med cushion then after it healed up and not sore after a couple of weeks i tried a small cushion with large frame and it is perfect ! when i first tried it i told my dme that i felt like a stuck up because it was actually pulling up on my nose if you feel this way yours is to tight to hope this info helps i love the mask now 110% good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 10:20 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Do others find the DreamWear mask noisy on inhale?
I've been using this mask for three weeks and I have some interesting observations regarding its noise characteristics.

For the first two days of use, I used my 6 year old S8 Autoset, and the mask was extremely noisy. The noise was not related to either of the two exhaust ports, but to the vibration of the air tubes which form the facial straps of the mask. Nothing seemed to affect the noise other than squeezing both the tubes, thereby eliminating the airflow.

On the third day, I commenced using my new S9 Autoset, and the noise I just described vanished. The S9's specs show it to be slightly quieter than the S8, but the difference is too small to explain the difference in mask noise. I can only guess that the mask was responding to some low frequency noise present in the S8's air flow.

With the main source of noise eliminated, I became aware of high level of inhalation and exhalation noise. As far as I can discern, this noise is only perceived by the user, and it does not emanate from the exhaust ports and is evident whether or not there are mask leaks. It also seems that this noise abates somewhat as the mask worms up. At this point I left wondering if the noise source is vibration of the thin membrane which contacts the nose, although I cannot feel any movement at the contact points.

As I continue to use the DreamWear, I'm becoming less sensitive to the breathing noise. In all other respects, the mask is as quiet as any I've used and once I found the proper adjustment, leakage is very low. In my case, it's worth giving the DreamWear a long period for adjustment because it has stopped my runny nose caused by nasal pillow irritation which was more disturbing than the breathing noise.

Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with the noise on inhalation is only bothering me before I get to sleep at the beginning of the night. I alway have a fan going in the room for white noise 12 months a year but I can still hear my breath intake and I find because I am so conscious of it that I subconsciously hold my breath and have erratic breathing because of it. Due to this, looking on SH it appears at the beginning of the night that I suffer from multiple Apnea's which is just the erratic breathing.

I've been using this mask for 7-8 nights so far and really hope that I can eventually not notice this breath intake noise.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Been trying it looser and seem to have found a sweet spot. Scores 97 on Myair last night (yeah it's like a video game isn't it?)

Most of my leaks might have been by mouth. Went with a tighter chin strap and looser dreamwear, nose feels better and according to leak on Myair all is good (<8L/min which is the lowest I have had since I got the machine)

Dry mouth isn't that bad now either.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
(11-30-2015, 12:58 PM)cliftonio Wrote: Been trying it looser and seem to have found a sweet spot. Scores 97 on Myair last night (yeah it's like a video game isn't it?)

Most of my leaks might have been by mouth. Went with a tighter chin strap and looser dreamwear, nose feels better and according to leak on Myair all is good (<8L/min which is the lowest I have had since I got the machine)

Dry mouth isn't that bad now either.

I am so glad that you got it figured out because if more people would try this mask they would be so happy to i just love mine !!!! I tried so many masks i hated this whole process but now i look forward to sleeping at night . This mask is like night and day compared to any of the other numerous masks i tried, my dme was about ready to kill me on how many that did not work for me until i showed up with different sores on face and nose . It is definitely a process in the beginning of treatment!
Post Reply Post Reply
DME took one look at my nose have trying to tough out the wisp and was like "yep, we need to try something different".......

She was rather skeptical about the dreamwear, and was pushing towards nasal pillow. The pillow seem simple but all I could imagine is getting that same rub infection inside my nose....no thanks

but to me it's just appears like somebody put some thought into making a comfortable mask
Post Reply Post Reply
I see my DME this week and am going to ask about a smaller size mask--I have a medium now and it is almost touching my ears. Mine was the first DreamWear that this office issued. I have very small leaks--no large leaks over the whole course of treatment. Some are mouth leaks but I've nearly eliminated those. The noise I hear is kind of raspy--but I had that with the Wisp mask also. It quiets down as my respiration rate drops. I'm falling asleep much more quickly that I did a few weeks ago. I tried to change my attitude from "this thing is noisy" to "thank you Lord that I'm still breathing!"
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 159 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 295 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 787 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,749 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.