Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreaming
Dreaming
For as long as I can remember I have had multiple dreams a night. I typically would remember them in the mornings and would even discuss them with others. Cool

When I first start therapy, they changed to nightmares which I assumed was do to the week I spent in ICU, just prior to starting Therapy. Angry

However, after 102 days of therapy. It appears I no longer dream, or at least can't remember them. Huhsign

Does anyone else find that Therapy effects their Dreams Thinking-about
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreaming
I do and it affects me the opposite of your experience. I now dream almost every night although sometimes I can't remember all the details. Multiple dreams occur on many nights. Previous to cpap therapy, I hardly ever dreamed.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2016, 02:17 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: I do and it affects me the opposite of your experience. I now dream almost every night although sometimes I can't remember all the details. Multiple dreams occur on many nights. Previous to cpap therapy, I hardly ever dreamed.

Dude

surferdude2
I am wondering if it is related to the length of ones sleep cycle .
Did you sleep short cycles and have a shortage of REM sleep B4 you started Therapy.

I believe I quite often woke up during REM Sleep interrupting the Dreams
2004-Bon Jovi

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I stopped remembering my dreams very often sometime around the mid-1990s. During the 3-4 months last year just before my sleep studies, I had dreams about being strangled by someone a few times.

I had hoped that I would return to normal dreaming after starting CPAP therapy, but it hasn't happened so far. The last dream I can recall having happened during my first sleep study. I dreamed that I lifted up a blanket that I was sleeping on and that there were sharpened spikes beneath it. (The mattress used in my first sleep study was extremely uncomfortable.)

I don't know if I'm not dreaming or if I'm not remembering the dreams.

Post Reply Post Reply
Before CPAP I had long lucid dreams that were part dream, part hallucination, part fantasy... I learned young to shape nightmares into victory tales! (as a young child I had constant dreams of choking, being strangled, drowning, buried alive)

Since CPAP, I do dream, and I can remember haunting little bits sometimes. In other words, normal dreams.

My analysis of that situation is that I never had consistent REM until I began CPAP, and that the earlier dream type represents my adaptation to having impaired sleep and apneas.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2016, 02:47 PM)DariaVader Wrote: (as a young child I had constant dreams of choking, being strangled, drowning, buried alive)

Yikes. Do you have an opinion about how dreams caused by sleep-disordered breathing affect us psychologically and physiologically? (If yes, I'd be interested to hear it.)

The few times I dreamed about being strangled and remembered it, I can recall a feeling of unpleasant body chemistry going on - fast heart rate, sweating, feeling stressed.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2016, 02:14 PM)0rangebear Wrote: For as long as I can remember I have had multiple dreams a night. I typically would remember them in the mornings and would even discuss them with others. Cool

When I first start therapy, they changed to nightmares which I assumed was do to the week I spent in ICU, just prior to starting Therapy. Angry

However, after 102 days of therapy. It appears I no longer dream, or at least can't remember them. Huhsign

you dream, or you go insane. clinically proven.

if you aren't roused from sleep, your dreams fade very quickly till they're forgotten. the only way to remember you have a dream is to have interrupted sleep.

congratulations, it sounds like your therapy is working Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2016, 03:56 PM)palerider Wrote:
(04-09-2016, 02:14 PM)0rangebear Wrote: For as long as I can remember I have had multiple dreams a night. I typically would remember them in the mornings and would even discuss them with others. Cool

you dream, or you go insane. clinically proven.

if you aren't roused from sleep, your dreams fade very quickly till they're forgotten. the only way to remember you have a dream is to have interrupted sleep.

congratulations, it sounds like your therapy is working Smile

That makes sense since my sleep cycles before therapy were between 120 minutes to 170 minutes I never slept 3 hours with out waking up. I remember waking many times in the middle of a Dream. I would even be confused when I first woke up sometimes; as to whether I was Dreaming or awake.

My sleep cycles have gotten longer as my therapy has progressed. I slept past the 3 1/2 hour mark four times last week.
2004-Bon Jovi

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2016, 03:15 PM)green wings Wrote: Yikes. Do you have an opinion about how dreams caused by sleep-disordered breathing affect us psychologically and physiologically? (If yes, I'd be interested to hear it.)

The few times I dreamed about being strangled and remembered it, I can recall a feeling of unpleasant body chemistry going on - fast heart rate, sweating, feeling stressed.

Physiologically, it makes sense that it would contribute to the increase stress hormones already in place from an apnea event. Psychologically... Well, I guess every person would respond differently. Certainly it has an effect.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
For years after I started CPAP I never remembered any dreams. I do from time to time now tho it's far less frequent. My doctor said that's because I'm spending more time in deep sleep and less coming up to where REM would occur.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Apnea Index of 2 Yet Dreaming of ASV Sleeper396 2 669 09-13-2021, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  Is dreaming every night a sign of good sleep? progman 14 1,655 09-06-2021, 11:43 AM
Last Post: DaveCar
  Is High AHI a Problem if I'm Dreaming? b.e.wilson 2 1,289 08-10-2020, 06:14 AM
Last Post: sleepyp
  Dreaming of mouth leak taha 5 1,536 10-24-2017, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreaming HL649 23 3,962 02-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Debberz
  AHI Numbers While Dreaming harmon k 8 1,890 01-28-2017, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Beej
Question Sleeping Soundly on CPAP But Not Dreaming ImaSurvivor 11 5,697 01-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Last Post: robysue

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.