Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreams
Dreams
Is it true that a dream only lasts 2-3 seconds? I also read that the more dreams a person has the more likely they have a high IQ. I dream a lot and even if I only sleep a short time, I remember the dream. ( usually) I think everyone dreams but not all remember them.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreams
From Wikipedia
".....
Dreams mainly occur in the rapid-eye movement (REM) stage of sleep—when brain activity is high and resembles that of being awake. REM sleep is revealed by continuous movements of the eyes during sleep. At times, dreams may occur during other stages of sleep. However, these dreams tend to be much less vivid or memorable.[2]

Dreams can last for a few seconds, or as long as twenty minutes. People are more likely to remember the dream if they are awakened during the REM phase. The average person has about 3 to 5 dreams per night, but some may have up to 7 dreams in one night. The dreams tend to last longer as the night progresses. During a full 8-hour night sleep, two hours of it is spent dreaming.[3]"

Don't know about dreams and IQ. I have a Tesla Plate under my pillow to promote dreams.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2012, 02:44 AM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: I also read that the more dreams a person has the more likely they have a high IQ.
This explain why I've failed all tests. Does daydreaming count - Anyway I,ll sleep on it - getting ready for bed Dreaming
Post Reply Post Reply
I know I dream...but I don't remember a vast majority of them once wakened.

Liz
Post Reply Post Reply
Saw a show on PBS a few years ago. Rats were trained on a new maze -- one they'd never seen before. Electrodes were used to monitor the pattern of their brain activity as they learned the new maze.

Then, while sleeping, the same pattern of brain activity was observed, except at a faster pace. Over and over again.

After sleeping, the rats could complete their new maze much faster than they were able to before the sleeping.

The conclusion is that while we're asleep we train ourselves to perform new tasks, or maybe learn anything new, during our dreams. Maybe this is what dreams are for. When we wake up in the morning, our brains are different from what they were when we went to bed the night before!

In their sleep the rats were repeatedly running through that maze so that the next day it was second nature to them.

I've noticed that when I learn a new task, and then practice it the next day, I'm much better at it. I can do it without thinking consiously about the steps involved, wheras the day before I had to make a consious effort to perform each step of the task.

I've also noticed that when I'm trying to solve a problem whose solution eludes me, I can take a break and then later the solution will come to me when I'm not thinking about the problem. Many times something that I struggled to understand yesterday is today very clear. And I can't understand why I'd thought it was so difficult to comprehend yesterday.

We don't know why we dream. We don't even know why we sleep. We know very little about how we learn. We do live in an era though, where for the first time in human history researchers are attempting to find answers to these questions.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
They're figuring out that a lot of the old theories about dreaming aren't true, or are only partly true.

They're not really sure about the way dreams work, even now.

The "few seconds" thing is partly true and partly false. They now know that you have sleep during non-REM sleep as well as during REM sleep. Non-REM sleep doesn't have the "high speed" aspects of REM sleep. There are also quite a few other differences between sleep types.

I find that if I wake up right after a dream or in the middle, I remember it more. Also if I consciously think about and try to remember the dream right after awakening, I'll remember it later much better than if I don't think about it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are lots of documentries on this and there was one on not too long ago about dreamstates. It facinates the hell out of me but there isnt much material on it. yes you do dream in (NREM) and you can also drop straight into REM sleep from the off instead of going through the other stages. You can also dream the same dream several times over untill your brain has solved the problem. If you search the net their are programs out there to download.

DC
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Vivid Dreams is this normal? Apnope 8 785 05-09-2023, 10:52 AM
Last Post: mper6794
  Where did my dreams go ? DaveCar 7 787 09-10-2022, 01:16 AM
Last Post: Brazen
  OSCAR Help: CPAP Therapy - Still Got 50+ AHI, Night Sweats, Horrific Dreams, Fatigue apegoneinsane 7 889 02-12-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreams Big Guy 10 2,106 01-24-2021, 03:55 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  What kind of dreams do you have? Rcgop 9 1,155 10-29-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Does sleep apnea cause nightmares and bad dreams? Does CPAP alleviate that? WWu777 10 2,513 05-25-2020, 05:21 AM
Last Post: WWu777

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.