Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation 2 - Sound Insulation Foam?
RE: Dreamstation 2….Sound Insulation Foam?
Someone said you can't fix stupid, but duct tape keeps em quiet for a few minutes.

Applicable maybe?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave Dielaughing
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
*gigglesnort*
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, I visited the Resmed store today to send a link to someone and was presented with a popup to a new FAQ on the Resmed site all about the Philips recall and how their (Resmed's) products aren't affected. Resmed has now confirmed that they use different foam than the Philips one, for future "discussions".
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, Ratchick. 
I told this yo-yo the same thing they and kept saying “well Philips said their foam was safe too”. 

He also believes SoClean couldn’t possibly have anything to do with the issue, so I think you can see what I’m up against.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh good grief.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Philips Dreamstation 2 does indeed use foam insulation for sound abatement of the compressor motor ... It is apparently a different type of foam material which is white, rather than the original black foam found in dreamstation one ... I have a Philips Dreamstation one and I am trying to resolve the problem IF at all possible, otherwise I will just have to write off the CPAP machine altogether  ... I have found that removing the offensive foam material from the Philips Dreamstation does not make the CPAP unit operate any louder, quite surprisingly. Removing the foam material however was somewhat difficult as it involves cutting away parts of the heat-sealed heavy vinyl plastic casing which envelops the compressor motor. It requires caution, patience and proper cutting tools in order to avoid injuring one's self.  Other than cutting away enough plastic to pull the 2 pieces of foam material out of the CPAP motor casing, one must also seal up the holes again in order to maintain air flow in the air channel surrounding the compressor motor. The holes can be sealed up again by fitting the cut pieces back in position again and sealing them with superglue (CA glue or Krazy glue) as these are quite inert once cured ... or just using layers of heavy vinyl tape (Renfrew pro clear vinyl hockey tape works fine) ...  Obviously, great care must be taken to avoid creating plastic debris as much as possible, as that can be quite difficult to clean away (the plastic is static and fine shavings will cling to the insides of the air channels) ... vacuum and wash carefully ... I am still testing, but it appears to be quite operable after this operation ... It is difficult to write off such an expensive machine ... but I do value my pulmonary health and for this reason I may only keep this unit as a backup ... I have used this machine for the past 3 years and it has worked quite well ... The black foam inside appeared intact ... It did not appear to have dried out or broken down into particles ...
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't taken mine apart to confirm. I have watched a video by Aussie Nick on YouTube that says yes. It is a white foam, which could be the plant based foam so now I am concerned as to using the DS2. I did remove the foam from my DS! and it was fairly easy to do. I plan on pursuing what the particular composition of the foam is.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not dismantled my DS2 but Aussie Nick appears to have done that on YouTube. It is a white foam and much flakier.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation 2 - Sound Insulation Foam?
I think it was that Aussie Nick but could be wrong.

He removed foam from ResMed, DS1, and DS2 and subjected all 3 to a week of continuous ozone. The ResMed and DS2 survived but the DS2 foam is not as structurally sound as the others and sheds particles of foam from rough handling. Being near a rotating component it will IMHO breakdown over time likely creating white flects instead of black ones in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 223 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 182 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] DS2 Making whirring sound when inhaling egg 5 1,872 12-28-2023, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Agent Smith
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 515 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.