Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation Auto - Auto Start Takes a While
Dreamstation Auto - Auto Start Takes a While
I can't seem to find an answer anywhere that shows how this feature is supposed to work. My Dreamstation Auto is supposed to start by itself when I put on the mask and start breathing. It is not consistent as to when it actually comes on. Sometimes it takes 3 breaths...sometimes 8 or 9. When I had a Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP machine, it came on with the first breath. Is the Dreamstation supposed to come on right away too? Is mine working as it should or not?
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation Auto - Auto Start Takes a While
The DreamStation is defiantly slower to start than the Resmed machines.  Mine usually takes about three good breaths before it starts.  As a result, I usually use the button.  Taking 8 or 9 breaths seems wrong, either you have a mask leak then (mask not quite on right) that is preventing the machine from detecting your breaths or your machine is defective.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the auto start every night on my Dreamstation and it generally takes me 2 or 3 breaths to get it going.  Sometimes starts right away.  And sometimes it takes a couple of extra breaths so it's not consistent.  But I can't say I've needed to take 8 or 9 breaths.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Respironics Wisp Nasal CPAP Mask has a vent (or vent holes) somewhere.
Try covering the vent with your fingers and inhaling. The increased pull might start the machine.

Most of us just use the button.

(Note: Never permanently block a mask vent.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The only reason I use auto start is to keep the DreamStation display from lighting up if my wife is asleep. It only takes around three breaths to get mine going as well.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
About 3 is right normally but last night it also took slightly longer for me. It it can be solved with a press of the start button I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
something I read was that the feature does not work real well with full face mask, so there was a trick for me (I use the FFM) - it suggested that to cover the inhale flap on the mask elbow and do two swift jerky inhales, then let it loose and do a couple of swift exhales. apparently the extra 'dead' space in the mask makes it harder for the machine sensor to reach the on signal.

I would think this is less of a concern for nasal mask, and no concern with pillows. However, you might never get it to go auto on if you have the TOTAL FIT mask.

So if you are having a total fit, then press the button. he he, I made a funny.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I know I can press the button...it would be simple to to. I just really liked that feature on the Airsense 10 where I simply put the mask on and it would start...got spoiled, I think. Then when the Dreamstation didn't work the same way, I was disappointed. I would say for the most part it takes about 3 breaths to get it going (sometimes annoyingly longer though). I just wondered if the machine had an issue because it didn't start up with one breath or if that was the way it was meant to work. Sounds like 3 breaths is the magic number.

Also...sometimes, but not always, I hear Darth Vader breathing with my machine. Then I start listening to it...and when I start listening to it it starts bugging me. Wonder why it is sometimes noisier on exhale (or maybe it's inhale??)
Post Reply Post Reply
With a FFM, I can get it to start with one fast deep inhale.

But with a nasal mask or pillows, I can't do it at all. I think I don't have a stromg enough inhale with just my nose.

I have *accidentally* gotten it to auto-start when I've put on the mask, and then rolled around a bit getting my pillow and sleeping position situated. I think the weird in/out breathing must have triggered it!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 614 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,255 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 221 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 372 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 368 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,231 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  [Equipment] Philips Replacement Devices - No PREHEAT or AUTO-OFF malabarflash 0 221 01-27-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: malabarflash

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.