Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation Auto BIPAP
Dreamstation Auto BIPAP
What is the purpose of using set pressures (16 inhale 11 exhale) when the machine has Auto Capability?

This Unit replaced my Auto CPAP Dreamstation which was set 12 max 8 min and 90% was below 11.

This is supposed to be a step towards ASV approval ( ASV titration and Echo completed)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation Auto BIPAP
Maybe whoever set it up thought you would do better with a fixed pressure. The varying pressure bothers some people, the changes result in sleep arousals. Or perhaps they wanted to introduce you to the higher pressures gradually. The bi-level and ASV machines are capable of much higher pressures than the CPAP/APAP ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dreamstation test unit is an auto, and I was started on auto.. then switched to fixed pressure.

The difference slightly favours fixed pressure for me, though the numbers are only slightly lower compared to auto mode.

And in either mode I'm still well under what I need to be compliant.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2016, 06:49 PM)rozenbob Wrote: What is the purpose of using set pressures (16 inhale 11 exhale) when the machine has Auto Capability?

This Unit replaced my Auto CPAP Dreamstation which was set 12 max 8 min and 90% was below 11.

This is supposed to be a step towards ASV approval ( ASV titration and Echo completed)

The auto adjusting algorithm on BiPAP is designed to increase pressure in response to obstructive apnea, snores and flow limitation. Without those indicators, it works at fairly constant pressure. If you are an ASV candidate, your problem may be complex or central apnea, and the auto settings would not do much. The fixed mode provides a fixed pressure support, EPAP and IPAP and this may be deemed more effective for your needs. In auto mode, you can set a EPAPmin, PSmin, PSmax and IPAPmax and let the machine work. In the absence of obstructive events, it would just sit there at the minimum settings with the normal Respironics pressure fluctuation.

I don't know what your doctor is seeing in your sleep test or what your response has been to CPAP or BiPAP, but auto settings are not the best for everyone, but work well for most with OSA.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does this mean the straight BIPAP is working?

[Image: cmFtMLcl.png]

[Image: 2H5MKfAl.png]

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like it, but your leaks are much too high.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
highest leak rate is 19..... is that high??
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2016, 09:33 PM)rozenbob Wrote: highest leak rate is 19..... is that high??

The graph shows you being over 30 most of the night to my eyes. 24 LPM is the most your machine can handle. If your leaks are higher than that your data will be wrong or misleading and the machine won't be able to treat you properly.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Lower line is Leak Rate Top line is Total Leaks
Post Reply Post Reply
rozenbob,
The confusion is due to your profile not reflecting the correct machine.
Your profile states a ResMed which calculates the leak rate differently than PR machines.

Since you are using a Phillips Respironics DreamStation, your leak rate looks fine.

Please change your profile to match the machine you are using.

For clarification, here is a link from The Beginners Guide to SleepyHead on Leaks.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Head#Leaks
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 382 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 585 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 598 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  DreamStation Auto Initial Start-up WilliamZ 3 503 09-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.