Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation BiPAP S/T Adjustments
Dreamstation BiPAP S/T Adjustments
If possible, I would like to get help tweaking my BiPAP in an effort to lower my AHI.

Tonight will be exactly 3 months since I have begun PAP therapy. After two terrible months of dealing with pressure related issues as a result from my initial prescription (I=21, E=16), my doctor reduced the pressures to ipap=12, epap=8, which has been much better. However, the AHI numbers are higher, from about 1-2 AHI average for the first two months to my current monthly average of 4.4 AHI.

I have attached Encore charts. The waveform chart shown is typical of my events.

Thanks,
Kevin

.pdf   ReportKB052118Pg8.pdf (Size: 377.14 KB / Downloads: 76) [attachment=6108]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation BiPAP S/T Adjustments
You need to increase your IPAP - your AHI is made up of hypopneas, and a trace amount of vibratory snores/flow limitations. Try 2cmh2o higher and see what happens. They must have really messed up your titration. You cut your EPAP in half and still no obstructive apneas!
Post Reply Post Reply
Titration study was done with a CPAP. When the OA's disappeared, the CA's came on with a vengeance. They finally maxed out the CPAP pressure and the doctor wrote my prescription based on the data. During the followup visit he told me that it's hard to determine the best prescription for me based on data that had only a few minutes at each pressure level.
I'm going to raise my IPAP to 14 and see how I do. 
I would assume the EPAP should stay at 8?
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep EPAP the same, but increase IPAP (pressure support) in increments of 0.5 cm until hypopnea is controlled. The increase in pressure support may increase CA events and at that point you have to compromise and look for the best solution I basically agree with Matt, but I'm suggesting you go much slower, increasing the pressure support by increments, rather than a big 2-cm push. This is basic self-titration, and the best results will come with patience and smaller changes, and observations before making further changes

It's good to see your therapy is going better, and perhaps we will have Sleepyhead support for the ST thanks to you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will give at lease 2 nights for each 0.5 cm increment (more if CA's show up). 
Thanks for introducing me to the Sleepyhead devs. JediMark and company are a hardworking group. I appreciate what you all are doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a daily summary of my changes:

cm        AHI
12.5      4.9
12.5      5.1
13         4
13         3.5
13.5      1.5
13.5      4.1
14         1.6
14         2
14         2.5

Data was based on 8 hour (approx.) BiPAP usage per night with 100% mask fit. Only one CA recorded for one of the nights all the rest was hypopneas. The difference in my aerophagia symptoms was minimal with the increase in pressure. 

Should I continue to make adjustments or should I hang with 14cm for a while?

Thanks,
Kevin
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to clarify, we are now at EPAP 8.0 and you have increased IPAP to 14 for a pressure support of 6.0 cm. I think the trend is definitely in the right direction with hypopnea diminishing and your report being comfortable. I think you can proceed with incremental increases of 0.5 but don't pass 15 cm (PS 7.0). This approach is now starting to do part of the work of respiration for you and overcoming the resistance or restriction that was causing hypopnea. The single CA event is not a concern, and you have not had OA events either. Alternatively, we can try reducing EPAP by 0.5 instead of increasing IPAP. In other words 7.5/14. As long as we don't see OA events, that is acceptable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Current settings are EPAP=8, IPAP=14 & PS=6 (I'll update my profile when I finish adjustments)

So do you recommend first dropping EPAP by .5 intervals, keeping an eye on OA's, before making increases in IPAP?

Also, my other BiPAP settings are Ti=2.0 and BPM=12. I don't know if these matter in your observations.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think since you're not having any OA events, lets try the move to reduce EPAP to 7.5 first. I want to keep you in the most comfortable pressure range that works.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider.
I'll make the adjustment, try out for a few nights and report the results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,521 Yesterday, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 201 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 13 511 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 460 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 529 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 163 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,149 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.