Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation - CFlex or aflex in auto mode
Dreamstation - CFlex or aflex in auto mode
Hi all,
I just read that you can use c flex I auto mode on the dreamstation is that correct. Is it better to use aflex or c flex + . What be the most comfortable settings. Do people prefer one over the other. currently trying aflex on 1.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation - CFlex or aflex in auto mode
Like anything else, the flex settings are something you just have to try. And yes, you can use CFlex in auto mode. I tried CFlex when I first started therapy and didn't care for the feel of it, so switched to AFlex.

Unlike ResMed Machines, Flex settings will drop pressure at the most 1.5 to 2cm. on exhalation.

• C-Flex – Provides pressure relief upon exhalation.
• A-Flex/C-Flex+ – Provides pressure relief taking place at the end of inhalation and at the start of exhalation.

I know it is confusing! Sad

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Opal is pretty much dead on with the flex but for one thing.
Flex a c or c+ is as she said flow based

However if set to 3 all of them can, based on flow , drop a full 3 cm at the BEGINNING of exhalation.
None of the flex settings will end exhalation at more than 2 cm lower than the high point of the previous inhalation.

But whats a cmh2o or two here and there amongst friends LOL.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ghost, thank you....I forgot it is flow based.

Over the course of almost 2 years, I have tried all three settings; 1,2 and 3.
And none of them dropped my pressure more than 2cm. The average for me is 1 to 1.5 drop.

I must be a shallow breather. Sad
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2016, 06:42 PM)OpalRose Wrote: And none of them dropped my pressure more than 2cm. The average for me is 1 to 1.5 drop.

It's software problem I tell y'a!!! now where did I put my disassembler???

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2016, 06:42 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Ghost, thank you....I forgot it is flow based.

And none of them dropped my pressure more than 2cm. The average for me is 1 to 1.5 drop.

Lol no Opal I doubt it. Flex would never show more than a 2 cm drop on a graph. It will never end the exhale with a drop more that 2cm below the high point of the previous inhale.
But it will at the very start of exhale give a 3 cm drop then come back up during the exhale to END at no more than 2
All dependent on flow of course.
With the Dreamwear mask im trying now, I run Aflex of 2. I can exhale without it ok but using it brings up my min vent and tidal volume.

If I set it on 3 its too much relief at the start of my exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2016, 07:10 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote:
(08-19-2016, 06:42 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Ghost, thank you....I forgot it is flow based.

Lol no Opal I doubt it. Flex would never show more than a 2 cm drop on a graph. It will never end the exhale with a drop more that 2cm below the high point of the previous inhale.
But it will at the very start of exhale give a 3 cm drop then come back up during the exhale to END at no more than 2
All dependent on flow of course.
With the Dreamwear mask im trying now, I run Aflex of 2. I can exhale without it ok but using it brings up my min vent and tidal volume.

If I set it on 3 its too much relief at the start of my exhale.

I think I will have to go back in time and look at my min. Vent and Tidal V. when using the different settings.

Just a recap....I never felt comfortable with a setting of 3. I have used 2 and now 1 with no problems.

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for everyone ones feedback, when I tried on fixed mode on I had c flex on 2 and in the auto mode (aflex) on 1.
I keep trialing the various settings.
Looks like the dreamstation has 4 settings on CFlex and 4 settings on auto whereas the resmed 10 has only 4 settings on EPR, is that correct.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty sure dream station and resmed have 3 not four settings. Unless you count off as a setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can confirm, the DreamStation has only 3 settings of AFlex or CFlex+ depending on APAP or CPAP setting. The pressure relief was the same on all settings, it was the timing of the relief that differed.

How is your AHI with AFlex (or CFlex/CFlex+)? I turned it 'OFF' and (after 3 or 4 days to get used to no 'FLEX'), my AHI cut in half and has stayed there (now averages ~2.5). Before turning AFlex off, I had trouble averaging below AHI of 8-9. The AFlex setting did feel easier to breathe, but was hurting my AHI. It didn't matter which FLEX setting - they all hurt my AHI equally - only 'OFF' did the trick.

Just something to think about if you aren't reaching your AHI goals.

(NOT MEDICAL ADVICE - Just my experiences).

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 250 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Changed my mother over to APAP Mode: Phaleronic 2 382 12-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Resmed 11 autoset For Her mode help! HMG7450 10 682 11-15-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Flow Rate Interpretation and PAP Mode / Pressure Settings Suggestions ABC1234 3 605 10-16-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: ABC1234
  Mode and Pressure settings missing; yesterday's shown. Captain Howdy 2 478 10-11-2023, 02:32 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.