Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do I still need my CPAP?
Do I still need my CPAP?
Hello!

I'm not sure if this is really a valid scenario, but I've seen my AHI number come down from 8 to 0.5 over time. Currently, my Resmed 10 is set to min 4, max 4 (so fixed) with no ramp, which is as low as it goes. Is there any point where you would consider not needing a CPAP anymore? I feel fine sleeping, so no issues there.
I was thinking of just not using it for a while and see if I feel worse, but I was hoping there was some "scientific" way I could verify this, without having to do a sleep study again.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I still need my CPAP?
Sorry, but no.
To know that you are free of apnea requires a sleep test.
That said low numbers at the machine min can mean that you have a chance of testing out with a diagnostic sleep test, the one without a CPAP.
the only conclusion that can be made with low settings is that you are very well treated at those very low settings.

Also be aware that if you should test out, in the future you could very well require CPAP again.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I still need my CPAP?
It's possible, but not at all certain to be permanent.  It really depends on the reason(s) for the changes, and if one can reasonably expect that the changes are real, for the better, and likely to be permanent.  As Gideon says, a definitive test where you are assessed formally without the benefit of PAP therapy is going to be the gold standard.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.