Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation Go portable power solutions
RE: Dreamstation Go portable power solutions
Wellp -- this is the first time I think anyone outside of Medistrom's solution has ran a Dreamstation Go on a hacked together 24VDC setup!

I'll have more information shortly including pinout info when I'm near something I can actually sketch out the pinout properly of the rear connector. It will take 24VDC in without modifications or anything -- it DOES show the Battery screen when the 24VDC input is energized, with the "?" unknown battery prompt, but still works fine. As with the normal Philips battery, you won't be running a humidifier from this thing with this setup.

For reference information -- at 24VDC, the worst amperage I saw was 2.3A draw when at 20 cmH2O. In Auto mode for ME at the low end of the band (eg, 6 cmH2O) it ranged at around 1A draw during breathing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

meow, I'm a bobcat.

@home: DS1 Auto, F&P HC150, Dreamwear FullFace
@travel: Transcend Micro, USB-C PD cable, Anker GaNPrime 65W brick, Sleepweaver Anew -- all in a dopp bag
Post Reply Post Reply
Attached is the pinout for the rear connector!

As I understand it, the connector is an 8 pin (2x4 Dual Row) male Molex Micro-Fit connector. 

The Medistrom DC cable kit for the Pilot24 can be easily modified and stripped to the 2 DC conductors, so you could modify that cable for use and not have to faff about with crimping Molex. Although I modified my cable, I believe one could also find a mating barrel connector and just build an 'adapter' for their cable, and not have to worry about stripping theirs out.

Next steps -- rigging up more 24V supply gear, including USB-C shenanigans.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

meow, I'm a bobcat.

@travel: Transcend Micro, USB-C PD cable, Anker GaNPrime 65W brick, Sleepweaver Anew -- all in a dopp bag
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2019, 05:40 PM)blubaju Wrote: I do not understand the concept of the dreamstation GO from a users point. 

Dreamstation runs with 12V, GO 100 to 240 ONLY!
there is a simple 12V cable (with monster magnets ) for the Dreamstation, can be used in any car, camper, boat. GO only works with 110/230V
Unless winter I usually do not use the humidifier, but it will work on 12V, the GO has no humidifier at all. 
Dreamstation will work with ANY 12V Power Pack (Airlines restrict to 160Wh!). GO has its own obsolete battery pack once you change brand or model for a very high price.

IMHO, the "ordinary" Dreamstation is the one to be used on the go ;-)
Dreamstation GO is a designers nightmare from the users point of view!
Dreamstation GO would be great with a 12V CAR-type input (engine allowed to run, e.g. in a boat, right now operation with running engine is not allowed for the Dreamstation!)

The Dreamstation GO is not imported to my country, according to my supplier the pressure regulation is beyond safety tolerance and the design has above flaws.

There is a humidifier for the Go now.  I think it came out in March?  I have one.

I just use the OEM battery, but I think it's great that people are figuring out other solutions
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately if the machine knows it's on battery, it won't supply any power to the humidifier and tells you to disconnect it before therapy can begin. So OEM or non, if you're using DC, it just won't run it.
meow, I'm a bobcat.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2019, 02:38 PM)kotaKat Wrote: Attached is the pinout for the rear connector!

As I understand it, the connector is an 8 pin (2x4 Dual Row) male Molex Micro-Fit connector. 

The Medistrom DC cable kit for the Pilot24 can be easily modified and stripped to the 2 DC conductors, so you could modify that cable for use and not have to faff about with crimping Molex. Although I modified my cable, I believe one could also find a mating barrel connector and just build an 'adapter' for their cable, and not have to worry about stripping theirs out.

From a fellow ham, nicely done!  

I'm pretty certain I have an 8-pin Molex MicroFit 3.0 connector at work if you'd like me to confirm the keying for you.  Molex does a nice job of keying each of the connectors in the MicroFit lineup so they won't mate with anything but the correct one.  Definitely a cheaper option than having to hack a Medistrom cable, and I've found one model of IWISS-brand crimper off Amazon that does an outstanding job of making very high-quality crimps for the MicroFit 3.0 connectors.

I'm using a ResMed AirMini myself but have run into the same 24V/12V conundrum.  I debated on purchasing a dedicated 24V battery just for this purpose, then stepped back and thought things through.  I've instead settled on using the Medistrom Pilot-24 Lite for backpacking trips or a quick primitive camping overnighter in the hammock when weight is a factor and using a 12V Bioenno LiFePO4 with a 24V boost converter I bought off eBay for multi-day trips when duration is important.  Either option sure beats lugging around an AGM deep-cycle battery, and the Powerpole connectors let me tie into the rest of my power systems.
Post Reply Post Reply
Commercial Link Removed, Search Amazon for Litionite Tanker models.

The Litionite "Tanker" models have a unique feature, can be used for charging and to run your PAP same time, hence used as a UPS. Though you must use different 19V power supply with higher capacity, >4A. I purchased one from HAMA through Amazon.

Tanker supplies different voltages starting 5V, for my dreamstation 12V, there is a mysterious 20V(19V) printed on the back ;-)
Still needs the original Philips 12V car- cable for whatever Philips is updating to the DC so it is recognized by the dreamstation.
2 USB with QC3 and one USB-C, all 3A 5/9/12V, QC willt take care of that

25000mAh equals 95Wh makes it safe for cabin luggage and helps over one, maybe 2 nights depending on your Apap settings
Litionite Tanker Mini

Anyone knowing what Philips adds to the 12V DC please let me know. 

Sorry I found this only on the European Amazon page, but manual is English only and the whole thing is made in China, much likely someone imports it under a different name.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2019, 02:38 PM)kotaKat Wrote: Attached is the pinout for the rear connector!

Awesome.  You're a lifesaver.  I travel for work and do lots of hiking/canoe/backpacking.  Lugging around my normal cpap is a chore and I'm finally preparing to accept the large hit to the wallet for one.  Problem is my adventures normally go a week long and there's no OEM options for more than one night.  I have the battery dept handled but it only outputs 12v or 19v.  Wondering if the 19v is sustainable for long enough to get a full weeks use.  My understanding is anything below 18v the unit turns off, correct?

Btw, this is the battery I'm using.

Search Amazon for B06XBPQKTR if the link is blocked.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is quite disappointing to find out the DC connection disables the humidifier. I have a 280Wh external battery that I can usually charge during the day, so it's more than enough to last one night with the humidifier running. However, I'd like to run off of DC and see if I can get at least 3 full nights out of a single charge, which would give me a lot of headroom for solar charging on less than perfect days.

Has anyone taken apart the DSGo and looked into tying directly into the power input after the inverter inside the DSGo 120v input? That would solve the issues of trying to run off of DC and the firmware thinking it's running off battery and complaining. I'm probably going to take my mind apart and see if it's possible if nobody has already done it. 

Really regret my DSGo purchase... what a mess this thing is.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a large source of 12V in my RV, but nothing 24V. What are you using to step it up to 24V, and is that more efficient than taking the losses I'd get from using the DC to AC inverter with the DS Go?
Post Reply Post Reply
Why are you worried about it with an RV battery system? 

However, the power requirements for a DSGo are much less than previously reported. I set up a portable system with AC conversion and can run, with humidifier active and 7mm pressure for at least 4 nights on 250Wh of power. As long as you are set to APAP, the actual power requirements are pretty minimal, even with the AC/DC losses.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 613 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,405 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,791 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,424 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 405 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 981 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.