Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation Humidifier Question
(03-19-2017, 11:53 AM)JT01 Wrote: I cannot understand why if machine is set to adaptive there are still adjustable  humidifier & heat settings

The adaptive refers to the pressures. Humidity and heat are mainly comfort settings. I use humidity and heat as it helps keep my lungs from drying out over night and exacerbating my asthma.

Please organize your SleeyHead screenshots like this.
I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The fixed mode keeps a constant heat on the humidifier plate. Under certain conditions the fixed setting can allow condensation in the hose causing rain out. The adaptive mode adapts the heat applied to the humidifier plate to the surrounding conditions in order to prevent condensation. The humidity settings, 0-5, allow the level of humidity to be selected in either mode. The adaptive mode works very well for me, especially when using a heated hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always used manual settings. They result in generally higher humidity than the automatic or adaptive settings.
Post Reply Post Reply

I switched it to manual for one night. The rainout experience made me decide to never put it on manual again!

So adaptive is where it's at for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is what happens to me, Hydrangea. It works best for me if I put my machine in adaptive mode with a setting of 2 or 3, depending on the season. If I use a setting over 2 in the cooling season my tank will run dry every once in a while. I'm able to run a setting of 3 during the heating season unless a cold front drives the ambient humidity down.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2017, 05:51 AM)pupcamper Wrote: The fixed mode keeps a constant heat on the humidifier plate. Under certain conditions the fixed setting can allow condensation in the hose causing rain out. The adaptive mode adapts the heat applied to the humidifier plate to the surrounding conditions in order to prevent condensation. The humidity settings, 0-5, allow the level of humidity to be selected in either mode. The adaptive mode works very well for me, especially when using a heated hose.

That's my understanding as well. I'm assuming our units are basically the same here. I've got the DreamStation Auto BiPAP. Should be same setting wise. I'm waiting on the heated tube scrip that my pulmonary doctor normally prescribes but it was missed on mine.

My understanding is that even though Adaptive and Fixed both have settings of 0-5 they can give differing results. Mainly this is due to the Adaptive setting being capable of sensing and making adjustments to the humidifier heater on the fly. Fixed is just that: FIXED. Due to that, any Fixed number might seem hotter and more humid than the equal number on Adaptive.

For reference, I tried Adaptive 3-5 and Fixed 3-5. My best setting with a 73°F room is Fixed 5 for breathing. For me, the other settings don't cut it. BTW I'm not only OSA but COPD too. Regardless, I can't wait on the added comfort of the heated tube.
I am not a doctor nor do I pretend to be one. Follow my advice as a choice not an order. 2 of these  Coffee Coffee per day keep the bad times away.
Post Reply Post Reply

I think the humidifier is the same for all of the DreamStation series.

I tried the same experiments with the same results. I can't run a setting over 2 in the summer when we are running the air conditioner, however, or my water tank will run dry.

Just for future reference, I recently received a replacement heated hose. The first I had came in a package with a factory label stating it was for a DreamStation. The last one I received came in a package stating it was for a PR System One. While they looked slightly different, they looked close enough that I went ahead and tried the new one. It is compatible with my DreamStation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2017, 04:39 PM)pupcamper Wrote: I think the humidifier is the same for all of the DreamStation series.

I tried the same experiments with the same results. I can't run a setting over 2 in the summer when we are running the air conditioner, however, or my water tank will run dry.

Just for future reference, I recently received a replacement heated hose. The first I had came in a package with a factory label stating it was for a DreamStation. The last one I received came in a package stating it was for a PR System One. While they looked slightly different, they looked close enough that I went ahead and tried the new one. It is compatible with my DreamStation.

Thanks for info on heated tube. I was just informed my Doc wants me to wait on a heated tube until he goes over my recent sleep study results. I'm still pushing for one to be included. I'm most comfortable with higher humidifier settings, which results in the tube having condensation. I'm considering a cover as well. Best to all.
I am not a doctor nor do I pretend to be one. Follow my advice as a choice not an order. 2 of these  Coffee Coffee per day keep the bad times away.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  using dreamstation go full time cbrts765 9 195 4 hours ago
Last Post: NotADr
  Is my dreamstation humidifier working? ghstudio 2 78 8 hours ago
Last Post: ghstudio
  Are AirSense and Dreamstation heated tubing interchangeable? doncaruana 2 95 8 hours ago
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Dreamstation Go startup and data communication? dgnelsoni 2 75 12-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Noisy DreamStation BandMom 48 15,529 12-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  humidifier mystery ghstudio 3 130 12-08-2017, 04:38 PM
Last Post: ghstudio
  DC Converter for use with Dreamstation Auto BiPAP BiPAPman 5 121 12-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Last Post: BiPAPman