Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation Humidifier Question
Dreamstation Humidifier Question
For the Dreamstation, must the heated hose be hooked up in order for the humidifier to work?

I haven't yet opened the new hose packaging and am still using my old 22mm hose as past humidifier usage didn't cause rainout issues. I realised this morning the air coming out was cold, as was the water in the chamber and the plate. I had set the humidification to Adaptive and heater at 3. Have had the need to top up water over the last few days but that could be due to evaporation under airflow?

lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation Humidifier Question
The humidifier on a Dreamstation will work at a reduced temperature without a heated hose. It automatically detects a heated hose and will produce higher levels of humidity. The highest moisture content is possible in manual mode, with separate control of the humidifier and hose temperature.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was wondering this, too. (But it was my first night on cpap, so I wasn't wanting to ask yet.)

I felt like my cpap air was cold. I turned humidity up, and it didn't seem to make it warmer. (I guess in my mind humidity = hot... but as I'm reading past threads about humidity, I'm realizing that's not the case.)

So does one have to have a heated hose in order to have warmer air? Humidity has nothing to do with heat? If that's the case, what's the point of "pre-heating" the humidifier? (I saw that function on my DreamStation, so I tried it out... and felt like it didn't do anything, since the air was still cold-ish.)

Sleeprider - What is manual mode? Manual for the humidifier? (I don't have a heated hose, so I don't know how that may change what setting options I have available to me.) I set my humidifier for 1 or 2 throughout the night, to see if that would help it be warmer. I didn't go much higher, since my past life experience has taught me that I don't like to breathe humid air.
Post Reply Post Reply
With Dreamstation, you can choose between Fixed or Adaptive Humidification. If a heated tube is being used, the device will
automatically switch to Heated Tube Humidification Mode. It appears there is no manual mode with a dreamstation unless you use an aftermarket heated hose like the "Aussie Heated Hose" from Sleepzone. With the previous 60 Series machines, the System One humidification could be switched off, and a manual mode selected with separate humidifier and heated hose settings like we have on current Resmed machines. With a Sleepzone hose, your machine can be set to Fixed mode, and the heated hose is HOT! If you want a hose that actually heats the air, SleepZone is the only one that will do that. I used one for 6 years, and it was like an electric blanket. You could feel the warmth. Unfortunately, with the advent of OEM heated tubing, this option is becoming expensive, and difficult to find.

Bottom line seems to be that Dreamstation tubing is not very warming to the air, and I was incorrect in assuming that automatic humidity function could be turned off.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, ok. That makes sense.

You make me want to get a heated tube, just so I can see what it's all about. It seems like most people prefer that.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is what all the cool kids are doing. Or so they tell me. Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll switch to manual and up the setting and see if the plate is warm in the morning. Adaptive may make adjustments such that it's harder to track. Unsure
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 09:39 PM)chill Wrote: It is what all the cool kids are doing. Or so they tell me. Grin

I'll have to wait until I see my DME... see if I can get insurance to cover it. Then I'll be cool! Cool

(01-14-2017, 10:51 PM)Newbee2016 Wrote: I'll switch to manual and up the setting and see if the plate is warm in the morning. Adaptive may make adjustments such that it's harder to track. Unsure

Me too! And I agree. :-) (Thanks for letting me tag along with you.) Dancing
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 11:21 PM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(01-14-2017, 09:39 PM)chill Wrote: It is what all the cool kids are doing. Or so they tell me. Grin

I'll have to wait until I see my DME... see if I can get insurance to cover it. Then I'll be cool! Cool

(01-14-2017, 10:51 PM)Newbee2016 Wrote: I'll switch to manual and up the setting and see if the plate is warm in the morning. Adaptive may make adjustments such that it's harder to track. Unsure

Me too! And I agree. :-) (Thanks for letting me tag along with you.) Dancing

You are definitely most welcomed! The more the merrier. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Checked it out, with setting at "fixed" and level 4 with preheat on and the water was warm and so was the plate. Interestingly the plate was vibrating when I touched it. Decided not to linger. A subsequent check and the plate was hot and no vibrations any more.

So it works. Now the question is which to choose, fixed or adaptive. Only way is to try both. Coffee
lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 786 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 514 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.