Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation Humidifier Question
RE: Dreamstation Humidifier Question
I did "fixed" with level 5 (5 was what was pre-input from the clinician). I preheated it... heard/saw nothing, so assumed it didn't work... but then I felt the bottom of the humidifier and it was warm (such that I worried it might damage my wooden nightstand)... so I assume it did work.

The air was the same temp as the previous night, so no change on the temp (perhaps heated hoses *are* the solution).

Aaaaand I got rained out all night long. Weird flapping sound in the tube somehow. Mask was half-filled with water when I removed it after 3.5 hours of sleep.

I didn't know what to do about the rainout in the middle of the night. So I just removed the whole thing and slept without it.

I guess I'll go back to adaptive.

Maybe I'll sew a cover for my tube, to help it retain a tad bit of the warmth from the humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
1st time that I experienced a rainout. Middle of the night i had water in the mask when I scratched and water leaked out. I had set it at 3. The tube was wet inside so decided to hang everything to dry. Think I'll drop it to 1-2 or adaptive. AHI number was good 0.56. If the high humidity helped with keeping the nasal passages in check i might just break out the heated tube from the packaging.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been playing around with humidification settings also. With Heated tube and humidification set to Adaptive, You still have to choose Humidification 1-5 and Heated Tube 1-5. I find Humidification needs to be at either 2 or 3, but even at 3 sometimes I get "rainout". It also seems the warmer the tube the less issue with rainout. But if it is set too high it is uncomfortably warm. I am a bit confused as to the "Adaptive" setting since main patient screen (while machine is on) provides options for humidification and heat.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 09:07 AM)JT01 Wrote: I've been playing around with humidification settings also. With Heated tube and humidification set to Adaptive,  You still have to choose Humidification 1-5 and Heated Tube 1-5.  I find Humidification needs to be at either 2 or 3, but even at 3 sometimes I get "rainout". It also seems the warmer the tube the less issue with rainout. But if it is set too high it is uncomfortably warm.  I am a bit confused as to the "Adaptive" setting since main patient screen (while machine is on) provides options for humidification and heat.

I've decided to stay with Adaptive as it's supposed to adjust the humidifier according to the room environment based on the humidification level chosen. I've yet to encounter warmer than room temperature air coming through (even set at humidification level 5 - nose was a bit wet in the morning) as compared to fixed mode at level 4. At fixed mode level 4 it rained and the air was warmer than room temp. 

Hope I'm making sense.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 09:45 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote:
(01-24-2017, 09:07 AM)JT01 Wrote: I've been playing around with humidification settings also. With Heated tube and humidification set to Adaptive,  You still have to choose Humidification 1-5 and Heated Tube 1-5.  I find Humidification needs to be at either 2 or 3, but even at 3 sometimes I get "rainout". It also seems the warmer the tube the less issue with rainout. But if it is set too high it is uncomfortably warm.  I am a bit confused as to the "Adaptive" setting since main patient screen (while machine is on) provides options for humidification and heat.

I've decided to stay with Adaptive as it's supposed to adjust the humidifier according to the room environment based on the humidification level chosen. I've yet to encounter warmer than room temperature air coming through (even set at humidification level 5 - nose was a bit wet in the morning) as compared to fixed mode at level 4. At fixed mode level 4 it rained and the air was warmer than room temp. 

Hope I'm making sense.

Did you have an irresistible urge to chase cars?

Do you listen all day for the Postman's whistle?

Have you been chasing the cat?

Does your hind leg spasm uncontrollably when someone scratches your back or rubs your tummy? 

Dielaughing Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 09:14 PM)Ockrocket Wrote:
(01-24-2017, 09:45 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote:

Hope I'm making sense.

Did you have an irresistible urge to chase cars?

Do you listen all day for the Postman's whistle?

Have you been chasing the cat?

Does your hind leg spasm uncontrollably when someone scratches your back or rubs your tummy? 

Dielaughing Dielaughing

Ruff ruff.  Laugh-a-lot
lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Newbee, for what it's worth. Had the same questions when I first got my Dreamstation. Came set at 3 fixed for humidification and heated hose but had to try other settings. Went down to 2 and felt dried out, went to adaptive and like you woke up with a wet nose. I've actually settled back on the original 3 fixed and have been very happy. Humidifier tank is nearly empty every morning after filling it to the line the night before but haven't woken up with a wet nose so I guess this is what works for me. I do think that many things play into the equation though, mask type, elevation, local humidity, temperature of your bedroom. Good luck finding what works best for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
The water level in my respironics dreamstation humidifier doesn't seem to reduce at all. I've been on cpap for 7 months & for the first few the humidifier was empty or nearly empty every morning. But not anymore. My pressure was increased from 12 to 13. But that's the only change recently...
Post Reply Post Reply
What are your settings for humidity?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I cannot understand why if machine is set to adaptive there are still adjustable humidifier & heat settings
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 755 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,159 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 785 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 513 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.