Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation Mask Settings.
Dreamstation Mask Settings.
I have looked and looked trying to find a thread on mask fit and settings.  I apologize if this is a repeated question.
I started off my CPAP adventure with the DreamStation Auto and the ResMed Mirage Quatro full face mask.   Anyway, it strawberried, hissed, and flubbered so much that I just quit using the CPAP all together.  I told my doctor that I was unhappy with the mask and he basically said "get use to it".  I saw an ad on FB for the Phillips Nasal pillow mask and thought I would give it a try.  WOW.  It works.  And since I quit using my system all together, I never got use to sleeping with the cpap.  So now I am trying to get use to it and am having sleepless night after sleepless night.  But I think it is getting better.  At least it doesn't make farting sounds all night. ;-) And that is a bit of my back story.
Here's my question. (After another statement)
I went into the clinical settings to turn all the settings back to where my Doctor originally had them.  I noticed that in the settings, there is a setting for "mask type".  QUESTION: Is this setting important if I am switching between my old mask fill face mask  and the nasal pillows?
Thanks tons in advance!!
-John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation Mask Settings.
If you are using a Phillips Respironics mask there should be a setting marked on the mask, use that setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
The DreamStation setting for full face masks is X1. The setting for your Phillips nasal pillow mask is somewhere on the packaging or in the literature that comes with the mask and could be different for each size of pillow.

If the settings for Full face mask and the Phillips nasal mask are different and you will be changing between them often, it may be worth while to just turn the mask setting off. If you will be using one them for extended periods you could either use a setting of X1 or turn the mask setting off for the full face mask and use the appropriate setting for your nasal pillow. Either way will work.

I use a Phillips Amara View occasionally and a ResMed Airfit P10 most of the time. The Amara View and the P10 have different mask settings. It just takes me a couple of minutes to change the settings when i switch between them.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't think to look at the packaging.  Rookie mistake!!!  Thanks for the heads up.   Yeah, I am not switching between masks.  There is a world of difference between the two masks.  I love the new Nasal Pillow one.  Even if it leaks, it doesn't bother me like my Quattro Piece of pooh.  I might need to get a chin strap because I am so use to breathing through my mouth before the CPAP.  But other than that, I just need to get use to it now.
Thanks again for the help/info!!  It is appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience, once a mouth breather, always a mouth breather.  I tried the chin strap, didn't work.  My lips would open and the air would just leak through my teeth.  If you really want the nasal pillows, you'll need to tape your mouth shut, something I'm not willing to do.  After 12 years and four mask models, I'm perfectly used to a full face mask.  The smallest was the mirage liberty, I've been using the quattro for the last four or five years (works fine for me, might be wrong size, or the shape of your face just doesn't work with it).  I plan to change to the amara view when it's time for my provider to get me a new mask this November.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a chin strap and a soft cervical collar to control mouth breathing. My unintentional leaks are always below large leak levels and usually below 24 cm, They also don't disturb my sleep. The collar also helps with the chin tucking I have occasionally. It sounds like a lot of trouble to go to just to use a nasal pillow mask. It is all worth it for me, however, because I sleep better than I do with a FFM.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2017, 01:31 AM)ateeluck Wrote: My experience, once a mouth breather, always a mouth breather.  I tried the chin strap, didn't work.  My lips would open and the air would just leak through my teeth.  If you really want the nasal pillows, you'll need to tape your mouth shut, something I'm not willing to do.  After 12 years and four mask models, I'm perfectly used to a full face mask.  The smallest was the mirage liberty, I've been using the quattro for the last four or five years (works fine for me, might be wrong size, or the shape of your face just doesn't work with it).  I plan to change to the amara view when it's time for my provider to get me a new mask this November.

I'm definitely a mouth breather but it seems to be because my jaw goes slack. I've not tried a chin strap because of how often I've read it just doesn't help. I started out just tying my head up with a scarf but it was uncomfortable and unyielding. In the end I've had pretty good success with Ace elastic sports wrap, the self adhering kind without the clips. I wrap my head up two or three loops, and put my head gear over it. Mouth stays shut thanks to the bandage, but it's elastic enough for me to open up to drink water or talk.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 9 16,891 04-03-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 295 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  New CPAP user, help with Dreamstation settings IndigoLioness 10 860 12-09-2023, 04:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 896 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 434 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Need Help on Settings - DreamStation - Oscar Data 93celicaconv 2 521 09-15-2023, 06:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dreamstation 2 settings MontanaGoat 4 413 08-15-2023, 08:57 AM
Last Post: MontanaGoat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.