Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation PRO FLEX
Dreamstation PRO FLEX
Hi all. It has come to my attention that there is a FLEX +  option on my machine. I presently have my Dreamstation PRO CPAP machine on FLEX 3 (least resistance on exhalation).  I have been informed that the FLEX + option gives even further comfort or smoother transition between inhaling and exhaling. It is briefly covered in the PHILIPS user manual but seeking clarification.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation PRO FLEX
In my experience, Cflex and Aflex is a very poor algorithm for pressure relief, and is designed to anticipate the next breath and return pressure to CPAP setting before the inhale or exhale is complete. It provides up to 2-cm of pressure relief, but the big problem is, it does not follow your breathing queue, but precedes it. The Resmed machines provide up to 3-cm of pressure relief on exhale, and follows your breathing in a true bilevel fashion.

I have never heard of Flex +, but I know most people do better with lower Flex settings, and even better using a Resmed EPR. Your profile suggests you are not using software, and while you've been a member for 6-years, I have never seen you post a chart. If you want to take therapy to the next level, you might consider downloading #Sleepyhead, and perhaps upgrading your System One machine to a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Cam
Post Reply Post Reply
Just for the sake of completeness:

There is a brief and non-technical description of C-Flex+ easily available from a web search.  You might think it would be too esoteric for that, but apparently "What is C-Flex Plus?" is something of a frequently asked question, so the search engines have cached some answers to it.  And the quick (and not very useful) answer is:

Quote:Similar to C-Flex, the technology provides pressure relief during exhalation based on expiratory flow.  C-Flex+ minimizes the pressure transition and provides additional comfort when in fixed-CPAP mode.  In addition, C-Flex+ softens the breathing cycle between inhalation to exhalation.

I've seen this before with De Vilbiss machines; they also let you smooth the curve of the pressure reduction during exhalation, rather than having abrupt transitions there and back (think sine wave compared to square wave).  However, it's not all that useful.  It's really nothing to write home about.  You can, of course, enable it on your machine and find out whether you notice any difference.  I'd be willing to bet that it's not significant.
Post Reply Post Reply
A detailed explanation on how the various Flex modes work is found in this Wiki article . As stated previously, I found Flex difficult to use. It seemed unable to match my breath patterns very well.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2019, 06:13 AM)MitchS Wrote: A detailed explanation on how the various Flex modes work is found in this Wiki article .

Thanks! I hadn't seen that one.

As SR has said, Philips missed the boat with all that stuff. I wonder whether Resmed has a patent on the vastly preferable EPR. If so, that would explain why the other manufacturers have to settle for methods that are not as good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2019, 04:33 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: Just for the sake of completeness:

There is a brief and non-technical description of C-Flex+ easily available from a web search.  You might think it would be too esoteric for that, but apparently "What is C-Flex Plus?" is something of a frequently asked question, so the search engines have cached some answers to it.  And the quick (and not very useful) answer is:

Quote:Similar to C-Flex, the technology provides pressure relief during exhalation based on expiratory flow.  C-Flex+ minimizes the pressure transition and provides additional comfort when in fixed-CPAP mode.  In addition, C-Flex+ softens the breathing cycle between inhalation to exhalation.

I've seen this before with De Vilbiss machines; they also let you smooth the curve of the pressure reduction during exhalation, rather than having abrupt transitions there and back (think sine wave compared to square wave).  However, it's not all that useful.  It's really nothing to write home about.  You can, of course, enable it on your machine and find out whether you notice any difference.  I'd be willing to bet that it's not significant.

You were correct!  I really didn't notice any difference from my FLEX level 3 option. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2019, 07:24 AM)Fats Drywaller Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 06:13 AM)MitchS Wrote: A detailed explanation on how the various Flex modes work is found in this Wiki article .

Thanks!  I hadn't seen that one.

As SR has said, Philips missed the boat with all that stuff.  I wonder whether Resmed has a patent on the vastly preferable EPR.  If so, that would explain why the other manufacturers have to settle for methods that are not as good.

I tried the new RESMED manual and auto CPAP machines and although I liked the fact that they were much more compact in size, I found the exhale feature in all machines fighting me a bit (even at the lowest pressure relief).  The clinical technician said go with what was most comfortable so I purchased the Dreamstation PRO and have it on a FLEX 3 setting. I also have the Philips Respironics System One and it was and still is a great machine. I also have a RESMED Elite that I use for travelling (as it is slimmer) and it seems to work fine as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2019, 06:13 AM)MitchS Wrote: A detailed explanation on how the various Flex modes work is found in this Wiki article . As stated previously, I found Flex difficult to use. It seemed unable to match my breath patterns very well.

Thank you for posting the article!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2019, 11:01 AM)cam Wrote: I tried the new RESMED manual and auto CPAP machines and although I liked the fact that they were much more compact in size, I found the exhale feature in all machines fighting me a bit (even at the lowest pressure relief).

You can switch off EPR (set it to zero), if you're using it just as a comfort feature rather than as pressure support. I don't know why it would be fighting you. Usually the "fighting" is felt during exhalation with EPR=0, when the EPAP and IPAP pressures are the same. EPR at 1, 2, or 3 should be more comfortable, not less so.

Or did you mean it was fighting you even at the highest pressure relief (EPR=3)?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,760 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,565 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  (Dreamstation) Flex algorithm is out of sync with my breathing skim 12 2,955 02-28-2022, 08:18 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Respironics PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto with A-flex aavenger 6 1,354 11-12-2021, 06:03 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Question re: Virtuox Ultra test with RemStar Auto A-Flex tonight. Help, please. Helena 2 850 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Helena
  [Equipment] Help solving power issue (REMstar Auto A-Flex cycling off/on during use)) RhythmMachine 2 880 07-13-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: RhythmMachine
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,329 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.