Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation REVERSED Air Flow!
Dreamstation REVERSED Air Flow!
Last night, my Dreamstation-Auto REVERSED the air flow, when I turned it on.  After a succession of attempts at off & on, with no resolution, I looked through the video screen controls.............scrolling through all the settings.  After I went back to the main menu & waited for the screen to go dark again, I used the button on top of the machine, to turn it on once more.  Finally, the air flow was blowing INTO the mask and not out through the filters.  The rest of the night it functioned normally, but I'm very concerned.  (Without a CPAP, the sleep test AHI was 96.)

Background:  I've been a nightly CPAP user for 11+ years.  I've always affirmed that CPAP has saved my life.

This Dreamstation-Auto (from Feb. 2018) was a replacement for my old ResMed S8 Elite with the Humidaire H4i that had served me faithfully for 9 years.  The Dreamsatation is already past the 2 year warranty, so there will be no help from Phillips.

Has anyone else experienced this scary incident of a Dreamstation Auto reversing the air flow?  If so, do you know what caused the problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation REVERSED Air Flow!
I’m confused, are you saying the machine was sucking in air? How frightening!
Post Reply Post Reply
That makes no sense. If you can post OSCAR chart of it happening and can you further describe it.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyP:  it WAS scary for at least 4 times until I decided to try the dials.  Somehow that broke the spell.

Bonjour:  I've just installed OSCAR; migrated the previous SleepyHead data; and have brought in the new data from the card.  I'm reading the instructions for what needs to be uploaded and where to send it.
Post Reply Post Reply
If OSCAR asked you to send in data, post in the software forum and we will give you a Dropbox to place it in.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation REVERSED Air Flow! OSCAR report
Bonjour:

The screenprint png file is attached.  I made sure that the left sidebar is fully visible and the charts are in the correct order for diagnostics.  

The only absolutely remote other thing, that could be related, is that during Wednesday, I'd laid a new Pulse Oximeter on the lid of the DreamStation.  Then Wednesday evening, the air blew out of the intake vents, instead of the mask.  Yes, it's a wild guess, but there's nothing else that is related to the event.

Thanks for your help on this.  

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Disconnect the mask
Turn on the DS
Cover the CPAP tube w your hand and thus seal the end of the tube.

Now where is the air coming from.

If it's anywhere you have a failed unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour,

I will definitely try that test that you've described.  Thank you for suggesting it.  Was there anything on the OSCAR screen-print that indicated anything?

Please keep in mind that after I scrolled through the screens on the controls, the system worked for the rest of Wednesday night.  It also cooperated last night.  

I'm not going to depend on it after the new single pressure Dream-Station arrives.  Yesterday morning, I ordered it from one of the suppliers that's having a Labor Day 20% off sale.  That brought the price down to slightly more than half of my health insurance out-of-pocket.  I can send them the receipt, afterwards.  If they don't reimburse, at least they'll credit against my OOP.

Since I already have the humidifier and the case, I'll just swap out the machine and be back in business.  Hopefully the new one will arrive soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never had something like that happen is 20 years of machines. But, fear of not having my machine forces me to have two known working machine on hand at all times.
Post Reply Post Reply
There was nothing to indicaate the problem that you described.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 291 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,600 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 226 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 495 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.