Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden daytime sleepiness
Sudden daytime sleepiness
I have been using my CPAP for over 5 years, 100% compliant. It is a miracle device! But, suddenly, in the last few weeks, I am plagued by daytime sleepiness, to the point of I've fallen asleep at work a few times. My concentration is off and I just feel exhausted. I still sleep all night, and my data doesn't show any major events...really nothing that is different from the past year. I also have felt like I'm fighting a cold, but for a month or more, so I know it's not an illness. I do use humidification, but I am OCD about cleanliness for my mask, tubing and humidifier.

So, why am I suddenly fighting fatigue and struggling with daytime sleepiness?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden daytime sleepiness
Have you had a full checkup with your primary care doctor?
There are some conditions that sneak up on people and make them tired.
One that comes to mind is diabetes. Then there's thyroid.

Main thing is to get a full blood panel.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Even for the 8 of the 10 years I was on suboptimal CPAP therapy and not very compliant I felt pretty energetic. Then it changed. I was diagnosed with a hypothyroid condition. I'm now on medication and feel much better. Get that checkup as Mongo suggested.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with getting to a doctor.  

Also your machine is near the end of its planned life.  It is possible that it is no longer working correctly.  Your DME should be able to check it.
Post Reply Post Reply
If nothing obvious turns up in the initial testing, a second sleep study may be worthwhile. You may have developed a PLMD or something else that will mess up your sleep.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JackieW,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might have your machine looked at to see if it is working properly.
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a physical coming up after the holiday, so I will bring this up with the doctor. Though my current machine is only 18 months old, I will also bring that up with the doctor or DME, see if it's broken.

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Bring it up with the DME as your doc doesn't have a way to test your machine. Call them and tell them that you want the tech to test it with a manometer to see if the pressures are accurate. If they tell you they don't know what that is, your life is going to be more problematic. Really, I've had actual PT that don't know what a manometer is. They just looked at the machine and said "yes, your pressure is set correctly". They got someone competent in there about 6 months ago, but my coverage changed so I moved to the hospital system DME who have techs who will overhaul your unit if needed (yes, and they fix wheelchairs too! Let me tell you how hard it is to find someone who does that!).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daytime sleepiness zzcop302 0 99 03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zzcop302
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 333 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,756 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
Question Assistance with sudden issues incl. OSCAR RustyShackleford 3 367 01-01-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: RustyShackleford
  Rain out all of a sudden mogulman 1 288 12-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,220 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Sudden raised AHI Papageno 10 654 12-07-2023, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Papageno

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.