Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation - Secret function??
Dreamstation - Secret function??
I generally go to sleep after my wife is asleep.  She is very sensitive to light and when I start my Dreamstation APAP, the light on the dial goes on.  Due to my having old software (discovered an fixed today), the light was always on fully bright...no dimming.  That's fixed in the latest software (see my other post).

However, a week or so ago, I found a secret function: if you put on your headgear/mask/.... connected to the dreamstation and just start to breathe normally, the dreamstation will start itself with no light at all after one or two breaths.  Not sure why it does that...probably some safety override, just in case...but it seems a good way to turn on the APAP when you go to bed or get back to bed after getting up.

I haven't found a way to stop the dreamstation without turning on the light....but I'm hopeful that with the software update, it will be far less annoying.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation - Secret function??
It is called auto-start (or is that the Resmed name?) and is enabled/disabled in the Clinicians' menu.  I use this too for the same reason  It is much less user friendly than the Resmed version.  Trying it with a full face mask is, to quote some previous poster, like trying to suck start a lawnmower.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the Auto Start too it is a great feature. I've found a good strong exhale gets my DreamStation Auto started. Available in all versions, so no need to upgrade to v1.1.1 for this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same machine, except it is brand new, using the Smart Start as they call it here, it now lights up as soon as you turn on the machine, then reads the data card and prepares to start as soon as it loads the data, then it starts and the light starts to dim and go out.
The light is a bit bright, and I can see no way of turning it off, very bright in a darkened room!
Or am I missing something?
As soon as power is turned on it lights up.
Do you all leave the machine powered up all the time?
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Apparently some dimming capability is part of new v1.1.1 software upgrade.   

Sleep2Snore, you can check your machines version: pressing In for My Providor and on the Device screen it shows the software version.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I will do that.
It should be the latest, but knowing my luck it will be the machine that has been on the shelf for a year!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
There might be a secret function.  But I don't know what it is. It's a secret.   Unsure
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just don’t try the auto stop function to keep the light from coming on when getting up for a potty break. Apparently my wife would rather have the light come on when I shut the machine off manually than having a gale blowing in her ear before the machine finally shuts itself off after what she described as an enternity. And, the icing on the cake? The idiot machine lit the display to tell me it had shut off automatically?  Dont-know
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2017, 07:39 PM)pupcamper Wrote: Just don’t try the auto stop function to keep the light from coming on when getting up for a potty break. Apparently my wife would rather have the light come on when I shut the machine off manually than having a gale blowing in her ear before the machine finally shuts itself off after what she described as an enternity. And, the icing on the cake? The idiot machine lit the display to tell me it had shut off automatically?  Dont-know

auto start on the DS is no secret, i use it every night.
good feature with no light to disturb the wife.

as for the auto stop, never got it to shut down automatically, even after leaving it blowing for a few minutes.
machine is only 3 months old
Post Reply Post Reply
I leave my plugged in and powered on all the time.

Yeah, the auto-stop feature is just useless!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 2,041 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 783 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni
  Dreamstation 1 APAP Function Not Working? gary w 4 562 10-12-2023, 12:37 PM
Last Post: gary w
  Reliability of ResMed Mask Fit Function? cmpman1974 10 837 03-03-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  CPAP function question - basic stuff... Mandrake 11 1,236 01-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Mandrake
Question Please Help : about the MyAir function vicky sung 3 547 01-02-2023, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,765 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.