Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation: Should I still fill out the recall form?
RE: Dreamstation: Should I still fill out the recall form?
Have you tried Supplier #2?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2022, 05:11 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Have you tried Supplier #2?

Yes I did. Thanks for pointing out that list. Perhaps Ill try a few others tomorrow. Any other suggestions? I've spent a whole day on this and gotten nowhere.
Post Reply Post Reply
Selling didn't occur to me. I might consider it if I am tight on funds. Though not likely to be the case. I'll probably err on the side of caution and keep any replacement I get in case I ever lose Medicaid coverage (for example due to policy changes, or if the Medicaid program was eliminated by an act of Congress to cut the budget). In which case it would be more economical for me to have a brand new (or refurbished so it at least feels like it's brand new) machine as a backup so I don't have to forego treatment for Sleep Apnea since the policy of, "No insurance? Can't pay? No treatment for you" is the standard with the exception of Emergency Departments,

If I were a supplier, I'd be paying a lot less for DreamStations though even if they are fixed or even for DS2s since having a problem like what caused this recall in the first place makes one lose faith in the company that makes those machines.

ResMed is clearly king -- when it comes to their machines (I tried one of their full face masks once and hated the material they used for the face mask 'cushion' compared to the soft velvety type texture the Fisher and Paykel Simplus and its current revision the Vitera has).

My old DME sold only pulmonary and sleep disorder related equipment and sold Philips machines exclusively. I bet they must be hurting financially right now and wouldn't be surprised if they go out of business. Their customer service was always lacking Charging me for shipping for replacement supplies so I had to drive 30 miles to their warehouse. In contrast, my new DME sells all kinds of things not just pulmonary equipment, is ResMed exclusive on machines and without my even asking offered "AutoShip" where they will automatically determine every 3 months what replacement parts my insurance will pay for and ship them to my door at no charge to me. Their staff is also much friendlier to me in the one time I've been to their store. And they could've cheapened out on me and gave me a refurbished AutoSet 10 1instead of a brand new AutoSet 11. They didn't give me any extra filters though whereas my previous DME did, but thankfully the most popular web store for all items named after a rainforest sells a 51 pack of the fancier hypoallergenic filters compatible with the AS11 for just around 50 cents per filter.

In fact my new DME is the DME the hospital used to send me my walker (I am disabled) and other items that were waiting for me when I last got discharged from the hospital. They sell everything from electric scooters to pneumatic leg compressors (for chronic lymphedema of the extremities - which I have) and oxygen concentrators. And they are at 4/5 stars on Google Reviews compared to the 1/5 stars my old DME had. My old DME will definitely not be missed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wrz77, I know how you feel. My first DME would NOT order the Bleep system for me, so I found another one who would, and I like them way better in every way. Sometimes running into a problem with the DME we find ourselves attached to is good in the long run, as it pushes us to find a better one.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
The dreamstations are better machines than the resmed devices, you can replace the airchamber yourself for $30. I'd upgrade the DS and sell the Resmed device.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2022, 05:21 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: Wrz77, I know how you feel.  My first DME would NOT order the Bleep system for me, so I found another one who would, and I like them way better in every way.  Sometimes running into a problem with the DME we find ourselves attached to is good in the long run, as it pushes us to find a better one.
Yes I remember thinking "I really want an AutoSet 10 [Ihad no idea that the 11 had come out]" but knew my current DME at the time only stocked Philips.  So I thought, at best, I'd get a DS2 Auto.   IMO, having to go without PAP therapy from the end of July until this month was worth it just to get a ResMed and also my first APAP since I got screwed over with a fixed pressure-only one before.  Getting the AS11 was an unexpected bonus.  Wasn't provided with an SD card since I guess the DME, insurance, and doctor office are satisfied with the data that's provided over the T-Mobile LTE cell modem. So I am using the DreamStation 1 card in my ResMed after I reformatted it after backing up all data on it

(02-25-2022, 05:26 PM)Phaleronic Wrote: The dreamstations are better machines than the resmed devices, you can replace the airchamber yourself for $30.  I'd upgrade the DS and sell the Resmed device.

I do admit that I like the idea of being able to detach the humidifier portion of the machine completely.  It's the ONE plus the DreamStation has over the ResMed AirSense 11 Autosense IMO. 

But I have two different APAP algorithms to choose from in case my AHI creeps higher: "AutoSet" and "AutoSet for Her" in modern times I think they should call "AutoSet for Her" something like "AutoSet Softer" since I can see it benefitting cis-gendered males just as much as cis-gendered females. 

Another thing I'll score as NEUTRAL: The ResMed heated hose vs DreamStation heated hose..  The DS hose was more flexible BUT the ResMed hose looks more durable thus they cancel each other out resulting in a neutral score.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,058 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,132 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Equipment] Mask recall? rltarbu 8 463 01-28-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad Dreamstation Recall Replacement issues jimbob123 4 460 01-18-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New DS2 from recall, what about old DS? NoSnoreDave 10 1,541 01-09-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jtmAZ
  Phillips Recall Question... jonesresidence 9 598 01-08-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed F30i recall (for warnings about magnets) NelsonM 7 988 12-27-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: alpharomeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.