Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation: Should I still fill out the recall form?
Question 
Dreamstation: Should I still fill out the recall form?
So my nurse practitioner who I see each year for my OSA decided I needed to be given a new machine and now I have the ResMed Autoset 11 which I understand is superior, but I still have my old recall Dreamstation CPAP Pro [fixed pressure].

I was wondering is there any downsides to filling out the recall form and still -- eventually -- receiving a replacement for it?  If there's no downsides and it's not insurance related I'll fill the form out despite having no intention of using the replacement DreamStation so i have a back up machine to use in case my ResMed breaks and I need something to tide me over in the interim. 

I'm mainly wondering whether my insurance company will then expect me to use the DreamStation replacement once I receive it or whether I can continue to use the preferred machine - the ResMed - and just pack the replaced DreamStation away to use as a backup device only. I don't want it affecting whether or not insurance pays for my ResMed supplies or expects me to switch back to DreamStation and will only pay for DS supplies if I do the recall.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation: Should I still fill out the recall form?
Definitely register your machine. I doubt insurance plays any part in the recall.
"If" and when Phillips decides to send a replacement, just keep it as a backup.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at what supplies are not universal

Heated hose (Standard hose is universal)
Humidifier chamber
Filters

The first two rarely require replacement
Filters are cheap.

Keep the replacement DS as a backup. This has nothing to do with insurance. Thos is between you and PR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, thanks. I filled it out since it would be good to replace the hazardous backup I currently have with a non-hazardous one. And as far as tubing and humidifier tanks go I have multiple for the Dreamstation so I'm set. I'm just going to put the various packs of heated DS hoses I have and other DS-exclusive unused stuff I have like filters in with the replacement machine and store it in a plastic container and put it in the basement.

And then of course I will discard the potentially hazardous and carcinogenic machine (probably keep the humidifier though since the hazardous foam isn't in that part so I'll throw that in with the new replacement).

I've already repurposed the SD card from the DreamStation by copying the old data off of it and then formatting it to FAT32 for use in my ResMed (since it didn't include one) and it seems to be writing data fine to the Philips SD card.

The cell modem that was in the recall machine (that I removed as soon as the initial 90 day rent-to-pay insurance agreement was fulfilled and compliance was certified thus giving me ownership of it over 5 years ago) I'll probably disassemble for fun and repurpose the circuit board / PCB for something else (I have electronic engineering experience).

The detachable humidifier was the only advantage the DS had over ResMed IMO. Since my medical provider checking for annual compliance required me to lug the machine in I would always just bring the machine sans humidifier portion (saving the amount of weight I had to lug around) so it would just be the bag, detached machine, and AC adapter in.

As an aside: I'm hoping the AutoSet 11 cell modem reports data to my medical provider as well so I no longer have to bring the machine in when I see them. Though considering that just now the idea that they could alter settings remotely would be moderately disturbing and perhaps not such a great alternative to bringing it in and requiring physical access to the machine to modify therapy settings rather than being able to do so through the T-Mobile cell modem interface. Also not really happy that the modem is integrated into the machine unlike the DS (though one advantage is my Medicaid MCO/insurance company didn't make me pay $25 for the modem like they did for the DS). I suppose down the line if policy changes ever result in me losing Medicaid coverage and thus I pay out of pocket for supplies I could just keep it in airplane mode to disable the T-Mobile LTE modem in the AS11.

Thanks again, I feel reassured now and it will be nice getting a free brand new machine to use as a back up since I'm sure aside from the foam hazard that the motor was probably only a year or two from dying.

Technically because of the xPAP machine shortage and global chip shortage the DS was my machine for 5.5 years since it was a 6 month wait and switching from a Philips-only DME to a ResMed-only DME and then another two month wait until they had the ResMed in stock for me. I made certain in triplicate that the NP wrote the prescription as a pressure range instead of a single number to ensure I got the AutoSet and not the so-called 'Elite' fixed pressure model. So I used those in-line bacterial filters without a humidier for those 6 months with the recalled machine (the filter hopefully catching any of the foam particles) the filter was in between the DS hose and my mask connector.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Wrz77............
"And then of course I will discard the potentially hazardous and carcinogenic machine (probably keep the humidifier though since the hazardous foam isn't in that part so I'll throw that in with the new replacement).
"
With the replacement you will be provided a prepaid shipping label to return the recalled DS1. You can use the the box the replacement came in to ship it back. I would recommend shipping it back so Philips can refurbish the unit and use it as a replacement to send to someone that perhaps can not otherwise afford to purchase another brand CPAP out of pocket.

Unless your DS1 is being used as a BiPAP machine, your replacement will likely be a Dream Station 2. The only accessory that will fit from the the DS1 will be the heated hose. The humidifier tank in the DS2 is integrated into the machine (the DS1 water tank will not fit) and the filters are of a different design.

I got the DS2 as a replacement for the DS1. It works as well, if not better than the DS1.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2022, 07:41 AM)StratCat48 Wrote: @Wrz77............
"And then of course I will discard the potentially hazardous and carcinogenic machine (probably keep the humidifier though since the hazardous foam isn't in that part so I'll throw that in with the new replacement).
"
With the replacement you will be provided a prepaid shipping label to return the recalled DS1. You can use the the box the replacement came in to ship it back. I would recommend shipping it back so Philips can refurbish the unit and use it as a replacement to send to someone that perhaps can not otherwise afford to purchase another brand CPAP out of pocket.

Unless your DS1 is being used as a BiPAP machine, your replacement will likely be a Dream Station 2. The only accessory that will fit from the the DS1 will be the heated hose. The humidifier tank in the DS2 is integrated into the machine (the DS1 water tank will not fit) and the filters are of a different design.  

I got the DS2 as a replacement for the DS1. It works as well, if not better than the DS1.

Ah I see, I was not clear on how the process worked.  Just assumed they had people discard it or take it to a recycling center or something.  I'll do that then and I guess drop it off at Staples unless the prepaid label includes free FedEx or UPS pick up then I'll just leave it on my porch for them to take it.

Oh so they send you a DS2 as a replacement then? Nice. Though what is not ideal about that is you can't view your charts because the SD card is encrypted, but like I said I'd only be using it as a backup in case my glorious ResMed AS11 broke, and thus there'd be a wait for it to be repaired or replaced with all the usual insurance bureaucracy involved in that. I wonder if they send everyone the Auto model or if it'll be a DS2 fixed pressure-only. Guess it doesn't matter, in the theoretical event the ResMed one breaks I can look at OSCAR and just set the pressure on the DS2 to the average pressure my Resmed was using over the previous 90 days. I import the data daily since I can't seem to find those Toshiba FlashAir cards at a reasonable price on Amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply
We haven’t seen any fixed-pressure units in the wild yet, only Auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2022, 08:52 PM)Wrz77 Wrote: Though what is not ideal about that is you can't view your charts because the SD card is encrypted,
Not true. OSCAR is conducting its second Alpha on the DS2.  It works!  

If you would like to participate in this early testing please PM me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2022, 12:01 PM)Gideon Wrote: Not true. OSCAR is conducting its second Alpha on the DS2.  It works!  

If you would like to participate in this early testing please PM me.

Okay thanks for letting me know.  The power of open source, collaboration resulting in things that might not be done in commercial proprietary software. Glad the open-source community has once again freed an expensive electronic device from digital chains imposed by its manufacturer giving the device's owner more freedom.  Thank you for the work you do. 

I'm guessing since the replacement apparently takes up to 12 months it'll be released publicly by then.  But, I do prefer using 'unstable' 'nightly' etc type builds of software so I'll PM you to ask for access and give you my GitLab information since OSCAR's code is on GitLab.
Post Reply Post Reply
My replacement machine is NOT a DS2. In fact, I think my replacement machine (which I received last week) is a refurbished DS1.

It says REP DreamStation AutoBiPAP DOM
DSX700S11F

I've called around to numerous medical supply stores. It seems there isn't a market to sell a brand new machine? Reading this thread, perhaps I'll just keep it as a backup. Didn't think of that idea. Honestly, I'd love the cash. Many shops have told me it's worth a lot, yet no one seems to buy them from consumers. I'm done calling around. I called like 10 places.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,074 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,326 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Equipment] Mask recall? rltarbu 8 465 01-28-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad Dreamstation Recall Replacement issues jimbob123 4 461 01-18-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New DS2 from recall, what about old DS? NoSnoreDave 10 1,542 01-09-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jtmAZ
  Phillips Recall Question... jonesresidence 9 609 01-08-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed F30i recall (for warnings about magnets) NelsonM 7 990 12-27-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: alpharomeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.