Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation Start Pressure?
Dreamstation Start Pressure?
I got my Dreamstation APAP last night and slept with it for the first time.  The tech left the default range of 4-20.  The issue is that at 4, right when I put it on and for a little while after, it is too difficult to breathe comfortably.  Once the machine gets up to 6 or 7, it is much more comfortable.  Do I adjust this starting pressure by adjusting the min pressure?
Ryan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation Start Pressure?
Welcome.

Yes, increase the starting pressure.  4 is far, far too low for comfort for most people.  With a starting pressure of 6-7, you probably won't want to use the ramp feature either as it will result is a lower pressure.  Ramp is just a comfort feature to let you get to sleep before it increases to the minimum pressure.

Download Sleepyhead, link at top of page, get a few days data, let us look at it and we may be able to advice on a better minimum pressure.  DreamStations works best when the minimum is not too far below your 90% pressure.

Some other people have links in their messages on how to organize the SleepyHead charts and post images.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a ton for the advice. My ramp is off.  My 90% pressure was 7.6 last night.  BTW...what does the 90% pressure mean?  My provider didn't include the wireless card, so I'm getting in touch with them today and getting them to send it to me.  As soon as I get the wireless card, I will download the SleepyHead software.
Ryan
Post Reply Post Reply
90% pressure is the pressure that you were at or below for 90% of the night.  Based on that, a minimum of 6 or 7 would be perfect for you.

You can use any old SD card of 2GB or more.  They are cheap and common, no need for anything fancy.
Post Reply Post Reply
One more question, unrelated to the pressure. My tubing is like generic tubing that does not have a connection for those two pins, where the tubing connects to the machine. What is that connection for and does it matter if I have that tubing or not?
Ryan
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2017, 11:25 AM)rouxster Wrote: One more question, unrelated to the pressure.  My tubing is like generic tubing that does not have a connection for those two pins, where the tubing connects to the machine.  What is that connection for and does it matter if I have that tubing or not?

Not sure, but I think the Dreamstation supports a heated hose, those connectors might be for heating elements.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
(06-16-2017, 01:06 PM)rouxster Wrote: [quote pid='210758' dateline='1497630323']
One more question, unrelated to the pressure.  My tubing is like generic tubing that does not have a connection for those two pins, where the tubing connects to the machine.  What is that connection for and does it matter if I have that tubing or not?

Not sure, but I think the Dreamstation supports a heated hose, those connectors might be for heating elements.
[/quote]

Thanks
Ryan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. I'm new on this board, but I have worn a CPAP since 2005 and a BiPAP for about 5 months.

If you obtained your APAP through MediCare, then you must use a special SD card from Philips Respironics, made by Lexar. I'm not precisely sure how the card is different from ordinary SD cards, but my sleep doctor's software won't read anything but the Philips card. If you are not on Medicare, you can probably use a regular card.

Sleepyhead does not download to your APAP. You download it to your computer and import the contents of the card into the computer. The instructions are simple.

The APAP can take a heated hose, and that's what the terminals are for. A heated hose reduces condensation in the winter.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2017, 02:52 PM)gaspingTom Wrote: Hi. I'm new on this board, but I have worn a CPAP since 2005 and a BiPAP for about 5 months.

If you obtained your APAP through MediCare, then you must use a special SD card from Philips Respironics, made by Lexar. I'm not precisely sure how the card is different from ordinary SD cards, but my sleep doctor's software won't read anything but the Philips card. If you are not on Medicare, you can probably use a regular card.

Sleepyhead does not download to your APAP. You download it to your computer and import the contents of the card into the computer. The instructions are simple.

The APAP can take a heated hose, and that's what the terminals are for. A heated hose reduces condensation in the winter.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the additional info.  I'm not sure which card I have, but I will check and see.  I don't think I have any reason to change the card out.  I originally was thinking that the SleepyHead software communicated to the machine via wireless, but I understand now that the SD card is used to import the data.

I'm in south Louisiana, so we don't know winter is...lol...just kidding.  I haven't heard of anyone I know needing a heated hose around here, but that is good information to know.
Ryan
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have doubts that you will suffer from low humidity in south Louisiana.

Regardless of what a DME tells you, the SD card used is the same as any camera or other device, SD is SD.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,422 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,406 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,031 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,240 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby
  DreamStation Auto Initial Start-up WilliamZ 3 539 09-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 990 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Should I start CPAP? brianstermat09 3 562 08-24-2023, 04:00 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.