Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation Start Pressure?
RE: Dreamstation Start Pressure?
Hi rouxster,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2017, 03:45 PM)chill Wrote: I too have doubts that you will suffer from low humidity in south Louisiana.

Regardless of what a DME tells you, the SD card used is the same as any camera or other device, SD is SD.

That may be true for you, but when I take an ordinary SD card to my doctor's office, his software won't read it. I can put the same card into my desktop computer at home and SleepyHead reads it without any trouble. Again, if you're not getting it through Medicare, it probably doesn't matter. Medicare wants to know how much you are using your xPAP before it pays your provider. I checked and you can buy Respironics SD cards from Amazon. Mine came with my BiPAP.

As to humidity, I live in Mississippi, which is almost as humid as Louisiana and I have to use a humidifier all year round. If I don't, I wake up the next morning with a sore throat. My BiPAP came with a humidifier and a heated tube, but I can't see that the heated tube makes much difference. If the room becomes really cold at night, I can see where it might help. When I first started using a CPAP, I had some problems with condensation, which would make the tube gurgle, but I placed the CPAP on an inverted dishpan on the floor and the condensation drained back into the humidifier. Problem solved for the cost of a Rubbermaid dishpan.

If it works for you, my advice is not to change anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in Arkansas where we routinely have high humidity in the summer. The outdoor relative humidity is at 82% and rising right now. I have to use a humidifier with my cpap during the cooling season despite the high humidity. While the outdoor humidity is 82%, the indoor humidity is holding steady at 42% due to the air conditioning. As the temperatures rise during summer the indoor humidity will fall even more as the air conditioner runs more. A humidifier is a necessity due to me being a mouth breather and the low indoor humidity during the air conditioning season in this area.

The sd card that came with my DreamStation Pro is a standard Lexar 2gb sd card with the Respironics name brand on it.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I've been using the DS for almost a week now.  When I ordered it, I told them I wanted the APAP and a DreamWear.  They didn't have the DreamWear in stock, so they sent me the Amara View (which is what I had for the sleep study).  I didn't like it for the sleep study, but I didn't have much of a choice but to try it again.  I don't know if the mask is too big or maybe my face won't work with a mask too well, but that thing is terrible.  If the pressure goes above 8 or 9, air is leaking out of  the mask on the side of my chin.  I end up taking it off  before I wake up because it is so annoying.  My stats are getting worse.  I'm at work now, so I can post my SleepyHead charts when I get home later.  Right now, I only have my info from Dreammapper.  The info I have since I increased my pressure is below.  Does anyone have any hints about what I can do in the meantime?

I will say that even though my stats are getting worse, I still feel much more alert when I wake up than I did before I start using my APAP.

I increased my start pressure from 4 (the first night) to 6.

6/20
Usage: 7:22
AHI: 9.6
Mask Fit: 100%
90% Pressure: 8.7

6/21
Usage: 5:37
AHI: 6.9
90% Pressure: 8.5

6/22
Usage: 6:14
AHI: 10.7
90% Pressure: 13.5

6/23
Usage: 4:48
AHI: 9.1
90% Pressure: 10.6
Ryan
Post Reply Post Reply
If these were my info, based on the 90% pressure, which averages to about 10.3 cm, I would suggest the minimum pressure be raised to about 8.5 cm. You might also reduce the maximum pressure to 10 cm, just so you can get a consistent seal on your face. this is an interim stop-gap measure while you await better mask. Your AHI may be lower because you start at higher pressure, or the AHI may be higher because it cannot raise beyond 10 cm. But, hopefully you can chock up more sleep time.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been increasing my start pressure , but I can't get my AHI down.  Last night it was 9.2. Also last night I switched from the Amara View to the P10.  Below are my charts.  Can you tell me what you think I should do to get my AHI down and get a better nights sleep?  Below are my charts.  Because of the attachment limit, I have to put them in two other replies.[attachment=3612]
Ryan
Post Reply Post Reply
!
Please review Posting SleepyHead Charts in 5 Easy Steps, link below, to organize your charts.  It will provide us with more detail.

Thaaks!

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry about that.  Here is my chart.  The only issue I has was that I couldn't find where to turn off mask pressure.  The first part of the chart at around 4:45 was where I was testing the new P10.

[Image: wXWwwyj.png]
Ryan
Post Reply Post Reply
well, I think you'll eventually choose to change your min pressure, your max pressure, your flex setting, and maybe even the CPAP mode.

If this were my data and I had to pick only one thing to change and then stick with it for the next 5 days, this is what I would do -

change my minimum pressure to 8.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2017, 11:25 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: well, I think you'll eventually choose to change your min pressure, your max pressure, your flex setting, and maybe even the CPAP mode.

If this were my data and I had to pick only one thing to change and then stick with it for the next 5 days, this is what I would do -

change my minimum pressure to 8.

QAL

Thanks.  I increased my start pressure to 8 last night and my AHI went down to 7.  I didn't' change my max pressure yet.  With the P10, I'm keeping the mask on all night now.  I'll keep it like that and see how it goes over the next few days.
Ryan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,283 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,298 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,646 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,190 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby
  DreamStation Auto Initial Start-up WilliamZ 3 503 09-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Should I start CPAP? brianstermat09 3 516 08-24-2023, 04:00 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.