Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation from Amazon
Dreamstation from Amazon
It's been a long time since I've been here, but last week I got an unsolicited email from Commercial Link Removed about a Dreamstation. Since my Philips 560 was making a little noise, I got interested and started searching Dreamstation. This was late at night and my wandering got me to Amazon and I saw the Auto 500T. I am shocked at the $378 price and figured it was not an Auto Cpap but an entry level fixed version. There were reviews and answered questions, but I still was weary. Sent some questions and, unbelievably,  I get answers right away. It IS the 500T package with carrying case, humidifier, heated hose etc. and no prescription needed. (I have one, but we all know it's a pain to actually document) I went ahead and clicked 'Buy' figuring that if something was wrong, it WAS Amazon (US) and they would make it right.

The next day, I clicked on 'My Orders' and see that it was on it's slow boat shipping way and the $378 (no shipping, no tax) was charged to my debit card, but when I clicked on the original page, I got the 'Amazon can't find that page. Look at our dogs instead'. Now I am really worried. 

But today it arrived in a genuine Philips cardboard outer box and inside was a sealed carrying case containing a DSX500TI and all the accessories that model comes with. All sealed in genuine Philips plastic bags. It is perfectly new in all respects.

That page has never been reactivated, but I see new pages that have the 500T and watched the price go from $478 to $418.99 in less than a day. 

I have not plugged my new machine in or done any set-up, as I am still worried. Are these grey market goods?  Hot?  What gives?

Should I worry or does this just expose how much these machines are marked up by insurance, DME etc.?

Who can relieve my anxiety?

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation from Amazon
The page you bought from might be gone because they have no more machines to sell. Try looking under your account under orders. There should be a link to the 3rd party seller there.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You have it now, so I would plug it in and see.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
it's not uncommon for Amazon to feature one vendor....and then when that vendor runs out, they start to show another vendor's offering. I wouldn't worry at all that your vendor disappeared.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same thing happened to me last August. I ordered it (more expensive than yours) and a few days later it was gone. The machine arrived like you said and I've been using it since and I've been happy with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2017, 02:57 PM)eddie willers Wrote: does this just expose how much these machines are marked up by insurance, DME etc.?

Yes.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought 2 last summer (one for travel as we have a summer cabin) and both have worked fine for close to 6 months..when I figured out how much rental with Lincare for the same machine was going to be close to $4000 before I "owned" it I bailed and bought my own.  Actually paid less per machine than one months rental charge to my insurance company and me..and they came with a heated hose which they didn't even offer me.

And I turned the cost of one machine in and got rebated 70%..so two machine for around $500

Yes DME's are racket--since divorcing them after 3 months I buy all my supplies online through the same vendor the machine came from..have used a few others also.  And they blame Obamacare for the high costs of healthcare..I beg to differ!
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that Amazon is playing whack-a-mole.  Amazon know that these units are not supposed to be sold without a prescription, so when someone (probably one of the suppliers that regularly sells CPAPs) brings it to their attention, they delete the item.  

If you aren't ready to buy now, you'd be wise to write down the name and phone number of the sellers.  I've found that you can get even better prices, and a larger selection than what is on Amazon,  by calling them up.  And since they don't have their own web-site, they don't follow Resmed's and PR's Minimum Advertised Pricing ("MAP") Rules, either..
Post Reply Post Reply
Reznik, that is the super-secret of all. You can call or contact these vendors, and get any machine, including ASV, ST and bilevels. They have access to all of them. You only have to ask, and they are more than happy to leave Amazon out of the deal. I am yet to hear of a transaction not working out to be legitimate. The manufacturer and some DMEs are the ones that get these pulled from Amazon because you're not supposed to know anything but the MAP minimum advertised price limit. Even the online suppliers will offer a better deal if you contact them directly, but violating MAP can cause you to lose distribution or retailer rights from Resmed or Philips. You have to be an "authorized" seller to carry the equipment, so the lower price sales are okay as long as no one knows, and the seller flies under the radar. Threads like this one, actually end up being a problem because the sellers and manufacturers do read this forum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2017, 10:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  but violating MAP can cause you to lose distribution or retailer rights from Resmed or Philips.  You have to be an "authorized" seller to carry the equipment, so the lower price sales are okay as long as no one knows, and the seller flies under the radar.  Threads like this one, actually end up being a problem because the sellers and manufacturers do read this forum.

Thanks for the replies, people.

Back in the 80's I worked for JVC and so I am very familiar with MAP pricing.  For those who don't know, it is illegal  to dictate to a seller what he can price your products at. All they can do is threaten to yank rights or refuse to give ad monies, rebates etc. if you advertise at a certain minimum price. Of course, in the 80's there were no Ebay, Amazon, etc., so it was easy to keep dealers in line.

Now it all makes sense that some dealers relieve some inventory in a quick & "sneaky" but, defensible, manner.  

I'm now all set up for a good night's sleep.

Again, thanks.......
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,758 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,563 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  Amazon out of stock on my mask. Price 3x elsewhere. Mindbullets 5 1,006 02-07-2022, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] New User DS7 Health Care Machine from Amazon mesmith9 9 1,400 01-13-2022, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Gideon
Question [News] PRIVACY - AMAZON srlevine1 10 1,159 07-14-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,327 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino
  [CPAP] Best Resmed (S10) filter on Amazon torrent7712 4 1,054 09-25-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.