Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation heated hose vs hose cover vs plain hose
Dreamstation heated hose vs hose cover vs plain hose
I am currently using the Philips Dreamstation with the integrated heated humidifier and plain hose.

There is a hookup for a heated hose, but I would likely have to pay myself, no insurance coverage for that accessory.

When should one consider a heated hose versus a hose insulator versus just a plain hose.

I am currently happy with my set-up, but the humidifier doesn't seem to be providing much humidity at any of the automatic settings 1-5. I sure don't have any problem with rainout, but the air always seems cold coming out.

Under what conditions do people switch to the insulated hose covers and when do they choose the heated hose?

Does anyone have experience with the Dreamstation heated hose set-up. Does it give better humidity control? Warmer air? Or is it worth the additional cost?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation heated hose vs hose cover vs plain hose
The day I switched to a heated hose was a game changer for me. I always suffered with congestion and sinus issues, but that made all the difference. And I also use a hose cover with it.
I don't keep the humidity too high...too much makes me cough, but the heated hose does make a difference.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
According to the manual I noticed the humidifier menus that are available change if the heated hose is plugged in? Anyone know about this and whether it gives better humidity control?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can find the hose quite cheaply online (in the 20-50$ Canadian range). It's effectively plug-and-play on the Dreamstation, as it detects the heated hose by itself according to the manual. Then, when the machine is running, you can simply change the temperature from 1-5 in the same way you can with the humidifier.

As the season changes here, I've gone quickly from somewhat resenting its mildly warm presence cutting through the AC to finding it very welcome with the forced air furnace. Setting it to a low temperature (1-2) seems to make the humidifier settings more effective (since it really just heats the water in the tank, I assume) by keeping the temperature consistent from tank to mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used a heated hose since before the CPAP companies even made them. I used the Aussie Heated hose with my M-Series, and paid nearly $100 for it in 2008. Worth every penny. When I bought a PRS1 60 series out of pocket, I paid $75 for the heated hose upgrade. Today, heated hoses cost under $40 and insurance actually pays. What a bonus! I have put my money where my mouth is when I say this accessory is essential gear. I even use a hose cover on mine...add a few bucks for comfort unless you enjoy plastic rubbing on your face.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used just a standard hose for over 25 years, and have had very few problems with condensation, but it has happened when sleeping in a very cool room. My solution that has always worked is just to pull the excess hose under the covers with me. Tuck it up against my bod, and it warms up quickly. One of the great things I like about CPAP is that if it is that cold, I can just pull the covers over my head, and really tuck in snuggly. and sleep like a log.
Thanks Sleep-well[/font]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 951 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 356 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.