Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation not getting to max pressure.
Dreamstation not getting to max pressure.
My machine is 3 years old. About a month ago I started waking up gasping and I couldn't breath with the mask on. My pressure was set at 4-20 and I could tell the pressure was no where near 20. Normally it would blast me in the face if I took the mask off. I discovered Oscar last week. According to it my max pressure never goes past 12, usually 8-9. And my AHI has doubled.  The pie chart is mostly hypopneas with only 2-4 obstructions. I'm not getting any errors from the machine except something about writing to the SD card. I just discovered the card is blank past July. The filters are clean and there are no leaks. I've also been feeling a lot better in the morning I think because 20 was way too high. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation not getting to max pressure.
Welcome!

Wow, 4-20 means they never bothered to titrate you -- that's wide open. No wonder you're feeling better with something else.

Lots of folks here will be able to help you dial in your treatment if you post some OSCAR screenshots of your nights.

2-4 events per night is pretty good, but major pressure swings are likely to disrupt your sleep, even if your respiratory numbers are good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it would be great to see a recent chart. Without a doubt you would benefit from a higher minimum pressure, but further advice would be best based on more information.

About the SD card: I wonder whether this advice might apply to your situation:

"On most SD memory cards, there is a sliding "lock" on the left side of the card. When moved downward to the "lock" position, data can be read from the card, but new data cannot be written to the card. When moved up to the "unlocked" position, data can be either read or written to the card. When used in conjunction with a data-recording CPAP machine, it is important to make certain that the SD card remains in the "unlocked" position so the machine can record patient data to the memory card."

That's from this page of the wiki linked at the top of the page:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ng_Feature
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed with others. You need to post OSCAR data. We need to see this data so we can help you get pressures that are optimized for you. 4-20 is a default setting which tells us your sleep technician, doctor, or respiratory therapist decided you didn't need settings specialized for your apnea therapy needs. This is also called laziness. This person didn't care enough to offer the best therapy for you to get what you deserved and paid for. Every PAP user needs pressures set for themself and that is 99.9% never the default setting.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response. I was never titrated. I never knew anything about that until last week. I've complained to my doctor for 2 years that I feel horrible with the machine and all he says is "Your numbers are good. Just stick with it". He's supposed to be the best in town. I've completely lost faith in him and want to see if I can improve things on my own. I've changed my setting to 7-14 and will be trying a static pressure soon. My main concern is the machine may be faulty because it wont reach its set max pressure. I'll try to post an Oscar reading.
Post Reply Post Reply
It won't ever hit max pressure unless it thinks it has to. That doesn't indicate a defect.
Post Reply Post Reply
You will honestly be stunned with what we can read from an OSCAR screenshot. And we know that a good AHI is not the only thing needed for a good nights sleep.
But good advice hinges on good data, such as that which OSCAR provides.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don’t assume your doc knows anything about this stuff, most are clueless.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with the others.

Your machine won't reach the max pressure unless it deems you're needing it.

Sleep doctors tend to be extremely clueless and easily pleased, without caring about a patient's symptoms or concerns.

Maybe your SD card is full, and you just need to delete it or reformat it?
Post Reply Post Reply
So many people are given a CPAP machine and no support. Many fail and insurance and the doctors blame the patient. It's disgusting. Vegas, it's obvious your minimum pressure needs to be raised from 4.0 to about 9.0 and as others have said, show us the data. Your machine is particularly unresponsive to obstructive precursors that cause immediate pressure response in machines like the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. It absolutely requires optimization or it will repeatedly leave you with hypopnea and obstructive events. It's criminal you have had to endure this torture.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,300 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,647 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Dreamstation 2 Constant Pressure Setup gonzalo 1 496 07-03-2023, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 648 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,558 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,713 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.