Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation or Airsense 10???
Dreamstation or Airsense 10???
I have an AirSense 10 and a DreamStation.  Both are auto and setup more or less the same way between 10-20 cmH2O after the ramp function.  I get rather different results when using the two machines.  My AHI scores are 5-10 with the DreamStation and pressures never go above about 13.  With the Airsense 10 my scores are 0-4 and pressures routinely go to 17 and even above that.  Both seem to treat my OSA adequately but I’m a little confused about the differences I mentioned and wonder if the Airsense is doing a more therapeutic job or if the event detection is just more sensitive in the Dreamstation.  Can anyone help with this?  Is there any reason to think the therapy is better in one of these machines?
PS: I using the same F10 full face mask with each machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation or Airsense 10???
That's quite a dramatic difference! For me, even though AHI was under 1 for both, the Resmed auto addressed my issues clearly better than the Respironics auto. I personally would say that the Resmed is doing way more for you, but how do you feel after using each of the machines? Since both auto machines provide data, maybe you need to upload some of that data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2017, 05:53 PM)Fixit50 Wrote: I have an AirSense 10 and a DreamStation.  Both are auto and setup more or less the same way between 10-20 cmH2O after the ramp function.  I get rather different results when using the two machines.  My AHI scores are 5-10 with the DreamStation and pressures never go above about 13.  With the Airsense 10 my scores are 0-4 and pressures routinely go to 17 and even above that.  Both seem to treat my OSA adequately but I’m a little confused about the differences I mentioned and wonder if the Airsense is doing a more therapeutic job or if the event detection is just more sensitive in the Dreamstation.  Can anyone help with this?  Is there any reason to think the therapy is better in one of these machines?
PS:  I using the same F10 full face mask with each machine.

I am waiting on the results of my home sleep study and if diagnosed will have to decided between those two machines and I think I'm leaning towards the Resmed due to the more aggressive algorithm. It seems to be the more preferred machine by many.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2017, 07:19 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: That's quite a dramatic difference!  For me, even though AHI was under 1 for both, the Resmed auto addressed my issues clearly better than the Respironics auto.  I personally would say that the Resmed is doing way more for you, but how do you feel after using each of the machines?  Since both auto machines provide data, maybe you need to upload some of that data.

I could upload the data but I'm not sure how to do this.  I'd like to upload a typical complete night from each machine for comparison.  Is there a way to do that?  Can SleepyHead export a single night?

Also, Mosquitobait I'm curious as to why you think the Resmed is doing a better job for you since both machines give you AHI of less than 1?  That AHI result is very good!

Also, I'm not noticing any appreciable differences during the day based on what machine I used the night before but I've only used the DreamStation for a total of about 5 or 6 nights.  I've used the AirSense 10 for over a month now.  Before that I had a CPAP brick (they tried to sell me another one this time around!).  The Auto machine made a real difference.  I used to get drowsy and take naps during the day regularly with the brick but no more I'm happy to say!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2017, 05:53 PM)Fixit50 Wrote: My AHI scores are 5-10 with the DreamStation and pressures never go above about 13.  With the Airsense 10 my scores are 0-4 and pressures routinely go to 17 and even above that.  Both seem to treat my OSA adequately

AHI displayed by Sleepyhead or machines themself ? Because Sleepyhead and DreamStation AHI didn't match for me during first days.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2017, 05:53 PM)Fixit50 Wrote: I have an AirSense 10 and a DreamStation.  Both are auto and setup more or less the same way between 10-20 cmH2O after the ramp function.  I get rather different results when using the two machines.  My AHI scores are 5-10 with the DreamStation and pressures never go above about 13.  With the Airsense 10 my scores are 0-4 and pressures routinely go to 17 and even above that.  Both seem to treat my OSA adequately but I’m a little confused about the differences I mentioned and wonder if the Airsense is doing a more therapeutic job or if the event detection is just more sensitive in the Dreamstation.  Can anyone help with this?  Is there any reason to think the therapy is better in one of these machines?
PS:  I using the same F10 full face mask with each machine.

I had exactly the same issue several years ago, but with a ResMed s9 and a Responics apap machine. 

Like you, I got better results with the Resmed machine. I opted to continue with the S9 because I felt much better/less tired with that machine than with the Responics one. I now use an AirSense 10, which also performs really well for me.

I suspect the difference is caused by the different algorithms that ResMed and Responics use to detect the onset of apneas. The ResMed one works better for my OSA, but its possible that the Responics one works better for other people with OSA. We're all different, after all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your response Kadenz.  I agree that the difference is likely due to differences in the way the machines respond to events.  One thing I noticed is the Resmed responds sharply to increases in the Flow Limit waveform seen in SleepyHead.  This waveform is not displayed with the Dreamstation but its pressure waveform doesn’t seem to be responding to anything other than events and even that does not appear to have the same cause and effect relationship I see with the ResMed.  I wish there was more published information on the auto algorithms the companies are using but I’m not too surprised about that either.
Post Reply Post Reply
@ fixit, Resmed funded a couple of lab tests of different machines
http://openres.ersjournals.com/content/1...115#ref-22
http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/full/10.1...11050#_i11
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, what a great read...

Thanks

Anthony
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I agree! Thanks ajack for these very good references! Very good information especially for those who want to help themselves and better understand our health matter. Thanks again ajack!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 165 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Dreamstation II -> AirSense 11 AutoSet todivefor 10 642 02-23-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: drwoodr
  Dreamstation -> Airsense 10 C2C pixpop 5 277 02-22-2024, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,183 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Transition from DreamStation 2 to AirSense 10 prince01 16 1,036 12-17-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: prince01
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 578 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.