Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP for inhale or exhale?
RE: CPAP for inhale or exhale?
(08-27-2019, 03:07 PM)sheepless Wrote: have you given much thought to what's waking you up?  taken close looks at the last few minutes of sleep sessions?  nocturia may or may not be a cause; it could be coincident with something else.  I'd forgotten but now you mention it, there was a while when I woke up with hands asleep.  don't know why it happened and why it stopped but I haven't experienced it in a while.

the asv chart shows some clustering of h; the autoset chart shows some clustering of oa and h.  I'm sure you've read about the various ways to address that.  it looks like some more work in that department could help lower your ahi.  

it'll be very interesting to see if you end up with asv.  personally I wouldn't withhold perfectly good information from your trial with asv from your docs.  it's your health and your expense (time and money, even with insurance).  they might refuse to look / hear, and they might refuse to treat you if you keep it up, but you can't get in trouble for having tried asv.  still, I understand the need to go along with their methods.

Why I am waking up so often is the $64,000 question. I don’t think I have slept through the night without waking since I was in university. Frequent waking certainly was a problem long before I started using CPAP.

My last sleep study showed that I had a lot of leg movement during the night. There’s some thought that that could be part of the reason I’m waking. And I guess that when my brain sees that I’m awake it tells me that I should go pee. So frequent trips to the bathroom could be a side effect restless legs.

It’s also been suggested to me that the leg movements might be the result of the medication I’ve been taking for the last 25 years: Paxil. When I started taking it, there was a reason for it. However, there’s been many times over the last 15 years when I’ve felt I’d like to stop taking that drug. Unfortunately, it’s devilishly difficult to come off Paxil. I’ve tried several times. My GP said that he would work with me on this for the next year. So that’s another wrinkle in all of this.

It’s interesting to hear about your experience with numbness. My GP has ordered a nerve conductivity test just to make sure there’s nothing funny going on in my nervous system. I have a sneaking suspicion it’s due to me being a little heavier than I should be. I need to lose about 25 pounds, which, on top of everything else, is another thing I’m working on now.

Oh, and I’ve all but given up booze.

All in all, if I stick with all of these changes, I might not recognize myself in a year!
Post Reply Post Reply
When healthy, and more youthful, people sleep, their pituitary glands secret a hormone directed at the kidneys known as "anti-diuretic hormone", or ADH as it is commonly called.  As we age, all sorts of things....uuhhh...slip....yeah....slip.  Our cellular mitochondria become less potent, our endocrinology changes (including less testosterone production.  Just ask V*****.), and our organs begin to decline.  There's more scary stuff at the DNA level, but let's not go there.

ADH, when it is put into action, causes the kidneys to be less active, or to not have so high a throughput.  So, your bladder fills slowly, and when you're under 50-ish, you can sleep through the night (nights when you go on a bender are different).  

A person with apnea is going to experience arousals.  Arousals impede the function of the brain, including the production of endocrine hormones.  If you are aroused too frequently, you'll have to pee more.  Simple, no?  It should be noted that I am talking only about the effects of apnea, not about other disorders or diseases, including their treatments and pharmacy, that might also be key factors in endocrine defects or deficiencies.

I have used melatonin tablets to modest effect.  They are not perfect, and the science suggests that one should avoid using it frequently.  In my own case, I resort to a single tablet of 10mg potency about once or twice a month, and NEVER two nights in succession. Generally, it works.  I'd give it about a B-.

Aerobic exercise is a great natural stress buster because it spurs the body's clearance of stress hormones.  Even 20 minutes of aggressive walking can make a difference.  Lest you wave it off because you're too busy, a running buddy once said to me, when I said I didn't have time to run, "Do you have time to sleep?"
Post Reply Post Reply
Palatal Prolapse (was "CPAP for inhale or exhale?")
I wonder if ADH is available as a prescription?  Could be a dangerous supplement to take, at least if not carefully monitored by a urologist.

I've started swimming laps at a local pool as a way of getting exercise. I used to be a fitness instructor and runner, and I think all the pounding hastened the development of problems with my knees and flat feet (both run in the family).  I think many of my issues would be alleviated by losing some weight.  I'm down 7.5 lbs in 10 days.  Let's hope I can keep it up!

In the meantime, I'm seeing a lot of this in my waveforms.  

This looks like what bonjour described in his earlier post.  I'm currently at a fixed 10 cm H20 (my prescribed pressure).  That doesn't seem to be enough to keep my airway open.  It seems to me more pressure might help this, but at the expense of more CAs ...? This was last night:

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Palatal Prolapse (was "CPAP for inhale or exhale?")
(08-28-2019, 09:48 AM)allanri Wrote:   I'm down 7.5 lbs in 10 days.  Let's hope I can keep it up!

That seems like a pretty extreme rate of weight loss unless medically supervised.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, and my bet would be that about 50% of that is likely to be fluid.

It takes approx. 3500 calories in excess to generate a pound of body fat.  Losing a real non-fluid weight of 10 pounds puts you at a reduction of 35K calories, something highly unlikely.

Did you say you were peeing a lot?
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s not unusual for the first week apparently. It’s mostly water loss. This happened to me once before when I was on weight watchers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed vibrates on exhale? webweaver 5 827 12-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  jagged inhale--machine malfunction? mayalass 7 504 10-13-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  RESMED F30i Mask causing pulsing on exhale HULK 1 580 09-21-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 536 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82
  [Symptoms] Difficult to exhale by end of night threerottencats 0 442 08-12-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: threerottencats
Sad [Equipment] AIRFIT P10 problems -- too much pressure / can't exhale genieangel 9 9,058 07-13-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Big Dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.