Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation recall medicare and more
Dreamstation recall medicare and more
I have a Dreamstation that is about 3 years old and recalled. I have talked with DME provider and Respironics who neither provided any information beyond Respironics registration. My DME did say they were not providing replacement devices (either temporary or permanent). Neither have ever contacted me with letter or email. I talked with a sleep Dr. relative today. She said that the responsibility of what to do has been put on them, but with no information. She thinks with the recall it will be sometime before anything is done, ie filters, replacement. I have been on CPAP since 1999. I have Oscar data back to 2009 which shows all my machines. All machines have been part of the recall except for a short time on a Resmed loaner. I am continuing to use my Dreamstation, but looking for replacement.

I am pricing a Resmed Airsense 10 autoset. My DME said $1008 and that it would be out of pocket. I did a brief search and found new for about $850. I have a couple questions. Is there anyway that Medicare will pay for this? If I go this route, buying on my own, will Medicare still pay for the CPAP supplies. Anything I need to be wary of? Any recommendations?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation recall medicare and more
I got a refurbished Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for $499 from Supplier #10 on this forum's supplier list.  It was like new.  They have them in stock right now. My DreamStation tubing and masks all work well with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might wish to check Supplier #33. If you go to their AS10 Autoset page, there is an option to be notified when there is a price drop from the advertised $699 price. I am betting it may drop 1 minute after you sign up for notification. Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can buy a machine and get your supplies from you DME. I purchased mine and sent my receipt to insurance and was sent a check for reimbursement. Check on durable medical supplies with your insurance. I do have Medicare but insurance paid without it.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. Some good information. I'm not sure my medicare supplement will pay for a new machine since I am only 3 years into my current. Maybe they will make an exception with my recalled unit, but I'm doubtful. I see supplier 33 requires an Rx. All I have is a one page sleep study from 1999 and that Dr. has retired. I'll have to check into that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a feeling if you either call Supplier #33 or use their online chat, they might accept a copy of your sleep study.  You don't know unless you try. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't mention the prescription unless they specifically ask for it. Bottom line: Do not volunteer that info.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you buy your cpap somewhere else, yes, your DME can get supplies for you covered through your insurance. You will just need a new prescription that designates the new machine supplies. Been there done that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mosquitobait reply - the only things that would be different are the filter and humidifier chamber.  Both can be purchased from Amazon for 20$.  All masks and tubing would be the same unless you wanted heated tubing.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a live chat with Medicare and if I didn't misunderstand what she said - we can all get a new CPAP machine regardless of within 13 month rental cap or  before the 5 years is up. The DME's in my area say they are getting different or no information. Can anyone shed some light?

Live Chat with Medicare Agent on July 6, 2021

[11:46:03 am]: Thank you for contacting Medicare.gov Live Chat.
[11:46:06 am]: ME:  I have a Philips CPAP machine that is under the
recall. My provider does not have loaners. Will CMS allow me to order
a replacement from another company within the 5 year replacement time?
If not, how do I get CPAP therapy, which I need? FYI ,
 I did register a claim with Philips which said on their site that
will take some time.
[11:46:07 am]:  Please wait while you are connected to an agent.
[11:46:11 am]: You are now connected with Medicare.gov Live Chat.
Thank you for contacting Medicare.gov Live Chat. My name is Isabella.
Can you please verify your first and last name?
[11:47:11 am]: ME: I give Isabella my name
[11:48:55 am]: Isabella Thank you My Name, I will be happy to
assist you today. Yes you can get a replacement, as long as your
supplier knows that the one you have is on recall.
[11:50:43 am]: ME: Within the 5 year and without another sleep study?
I am still within the 13 month rental cap
[11:50:53 am]: Isabella Yes.
[11:52:02 am]: ME: Thank you Isabella.  So should my next step be to
contact my doctor and have her send an order to my DME provider?
[11:52:30 am]: Isabella Yes that is correct.
[11:52:53 am]: ME:Thanks, have a great day.
[11:53:01 am]: Isabella You are welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,046 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 148 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 201 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 250 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  [Equipment] Mask recall? rltarbu 8 463 01-28-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.