Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation suddenly too loud and with too much pressure
Dreamstation suddenly too loud and with too much pressure
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post (I just joined the board today).
I have been a CPAP user for about 4 years.  About 6 months ago I got a new machine, a Philips Respironics Dream Station. I use it with a nasal pillow mask. For the first few months it worked very well and it was very quiet.  But about 3 weeks ago it started getting louder and louder and the pressure seemed to get much higher than normal.  I can reduce the pressure initially using the ramp feature (but inevitably I wake up after an hour or two and the pressure seems extreme).  Also, right from after it is turned on it is too loud, and when I exhale it sounds like my exhalations are causing mild beeping sounds, almost like strain is being put on the motor.  I have tried adjusting many of the settings but nothing seems to fix the problem.  I am considering asking for a new machine but I know this is a long process involving insurance company approval.  Any advice about this situation would be greatly appreciate.  For now I am considering going back to my old machine.
Thank you,
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation suddenly too loud and with too much pressure
I'm not much help on the trouble front, my Dreamstation hasn't missed a beat since I got it 18 months or more ago.

It sounds like you have tried some of the setting options, so I guess you have downloaded the clinicians manual from the links on this page..

It may help if you post up what your pressure settings are, and if in CPAP or APAP mode.

If your machine has a remote access link to your clinic perhaps someone inadvertantly re-set your pressure, you can go in to the clinician settings mode and change it or lower it if you need to.

As for warranty claims, I'm in Australia, I have no idea what applies where you are.

Hang in for the gurus of this page to chime in, they will get you on the right track to solutions.

EDIT- ( after a second read of your post )

I sometimes hear the fan motor 'load up' under exhale pressure.. but only if I am breathing hard for some reason, such as getting in to bed immediately after physical exertion.
The noise is not excessive, and quiets down as my breathing settles back to normal.
I also use an F&P Eson nasal mask ( the type that goes over the whole nose, not the nasal pillow that goes under the nostrils ).. and just purchased a new Eson 2 to have on hand in case I break the original one, unfortunately not all the parts on the two are interchangeable- so when the old one has had it I won't be able to keep any of it for spares I don't think.

Cheers,
Ock.
(aka Steve, or Stephen)
Post Reply Post Reply
You can get the Clinical Setup Manual http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual free through the forum. Also, you can look at the pressure data on #Sleepyhead, also free.

If your CPAP is doing unexpected things, the settings and data are the first places I would look for a solution or answer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got a new Dreamstation last Friday, and twonights ago I started noticing a hi pitched noise every time I inhaled.  First night I ignored it and fell asleep.  Last night it was bugging me so I started troubleshooting.  Filter in tight - yup.  Open close humidifier.  Still there.  Take out fine filter -nope.  Shake the hose, check the mask connection.  Nothing.  Disconnect the heated hose and reconnect - Ahah!  Fixed.  Same hose since I got it so why not at beginning?  Who knows.

First thing I would check is there some foreign object in the hose or outlet making the machine think there is a flow limitation?  

I once heard someone say it made an awful noise when the humidifier was not closed completely but that would not cause increased pressure like you are experiencing. 

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Post Reply Post Reply
How is the filter?
Post Reply Post Reply
High pitched noises can come from an air-leak in any of the seals around the humidifier or where the blower and humidifier connect. Check the condition of all of those seals you can visualize, and that might resolve it. If you can connect a hose to the blower without the humidifier you can perhaps isolate the noise.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your replies. They are very helpful, and I appreciate the speed. This board is an incredible resource. I am going to try the suggestions and also read the user manual (all I had was the short one that came with the device so I'll see if this is different). Last night I went back to using my prior system, the Philips System One, and I had a quiet night of good sleep. I remember that when I first started using the DreamStation it seemed even quieter than the System One, so something definitely has changed. At least I have a good alternative until I figure out what's going on with the new one. I'll keep you posted if I can fix the problem.
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi smsilverstein,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you are unable to resolve the problems with the suggestions given here, you might take it back to the place where you got it and get it exchanged for another machine.
It's good you have your old machine to fall back on.
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy and also with getting your machine problems straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems to me, most of the time when there is extra blowing and sound, it's a seal issue, usually with the humidifier bin. If your humidifier bin is completely closed and seal in place, then examine the seals for any other opening.
Post Reply Post Reply
could be filled up with water?
take the humidifier off and turn the CPAP on and point it at the floor.
remove the filters to, maybe shake it with it running?
go to store and get some beer, try again.
unplug it for 10 min. then plug it back in.
return it for a better car, one with stability control.
I hear they work good on ice? i still drive a bran new 1991 4runner, its bran new too no kidding.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,787 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [Equipment] Transcend Micro very loud chipschap 5 958 02-25-2024, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Rkaechler
  [CPAP] Suddenly air feels too dry.. outasleep 2 287 01-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,294 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  New AirSense 10 is very loud. xian67 2 392 12-15-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,638 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.