Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation suddenly too loud and with too much pressure
RE: Dreamstation suddenly too loud and with too much pressure
How is the flow rate?  Take the mask off the hose and feel how fast the flow rate is by putting your thumb on/off the end of the hose.  Do this again with the filters out. 

Clogged filters reduce the flow rate and could cause the motor to work harder. 

I found that when my wife started using her humidifier, the salts in our water clogged the filter in my Dreamstation.  This caused it to clog after a few days and limited the flow rate out of the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you again for all of the suggestions.  The other day I spoke to someone at the company that provided the machine.  They confirmed that the machine had been delivering about 33% more air pressure the last few nights it was used compared to all previous nights.  I let them know that I checked all the seals, and was using new tubing and filters, etc.  So, they agreed to sent me a replacement machine and I'll return the one I have and they'll check it out and see what the problem is.  So, that will be a big help.  In the meantime, I am still using my old System One, which works well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2018, 06:47 PM)smsilverstein Wrote: Thank you again for all of the suggestions.  The other day I spoke to someone at the company that provided the machine.  They confirmed that the machine had been delivering about 33% more air pressure the last few nights it was used compared to all previous nights.  I let them know that I checked all the seals, and was using new tubing and filters, etc.  So, they agreed to sent me a replacement machine and I'll return the one I have and they'll check it out and see what the problem is.  So, that will be a big help.  In the meantime, I am still using my old System One, which works well.

Did you ever check the settings and get the clinical manual as I suggested? http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid238254  It's one think if the machine is spontaneously increasing pressure, but what are the settings, and what is your prescription?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did get the manual, which was different from the one that came with the machine (and thank you again for the link to it).  I checked everything I could think of and didn't see a problem.  All of the settings seemed normal.  I don't think there is a prescription for a specific pressure on this one like there was for the System one.  The machine is set to adapt to my breathing and number of apneas per night, within a range of 4-20.  Pressure had been below 8.3 90% of the time the first few months, but the last month that number was 12.5.  Since the number of apnea episodes I was having was low and didn't change, the increased pressure can't be due to that (nor is it due to starting at too high a pressure, or to changes in the ramp timing, or to loose seals).  I am curious to see what the company says when they examine it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine is designed to increase pressure based on some specific cues to help prevent apnea. You may have had more flow limitation, snores, or other things that triggered the increase, or maybe it's defective. That is why we use #Sleepyhead, so check function and efficacy and understand what is going on. A pressure of 4-20 is rarely ideal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll know more in a few weeks when I get the report back from the company.  I suspect the machine is defective though because the pressure seemed too high from the moment I put it on, and it increased very quickly after that.  I got the recent data over the phone the other day, but I will download the SleepyHead software, which looks like a great tool to have.  
Other than this recent problem, I had been sleeping pretty well with the DreamStation before the problem so I'm hoping that a new machine will solve the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask if anything else comes up. Gremlins in CPAP machines...what's next?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
see what the new one does, that will show you what is going on. I would also think that the machine is ok and something in your breathing pattern has changed. dreamstation also likes to have the min pressure 2 or 3 cm below the 95% pressure. I would start the new machine on min 7, 1.3cm below your previous 90% of 8.3 and go from there.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello

I have a DreamStation Auto Cpap and am using Respironics DreamWear Gel Pillow mask.

one of the things i struggle with is that i cannot sleep an entire night with the mask due to too much pressure. Typically i put on the mask in the evening and it's fine. But towards the early morning (say 4AM-5AM ish) i always feel like it's way too much pressure for me to continue sleeping with it. I know you can adjust the ramp up pressure. But is there a a way to adjust the maximum pressure that it will reach. I want to cap it at a certain level
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi paragraphe 7.0 - Welcome

You can adjust both the ramp, minimum and maximum pressures, as well as other parameters, in the clinician menu of your machine.  

To learn how to enter this menu and your options, request a copy of your machine's manual from this link:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 2,106 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,718 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [Equipment] Transcend Micro very loud chipschap 5 1,088 02-25-2024, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Rkaechler
  [CPAP] Suddenly air feels too dry.. outasleep 2 314 01-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,401 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  New AirSense 10 is very loud. xian67 2 418 12-15-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,013 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.