Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation undetected leaks.
Dreamstation undetected leaks.
Hello,

My wife has been using the DreamStation for a fortnight now and last night she had quite a few leaks. It made it a little harder for me to get to sleep and through the night the air coming out of the mask woke her up.

Funny thing was that the DreamStation reports that the mask had no leaks.

She is using a DreamWear nasal pillow and it has largely been going well. The DreamStation does not have a mask configured in the menu.

Does the machine need to know what mask is fitted to allow for masks releasing the exhaled air at different rates? Could this explain why the DreamStation did not detect leaks? I also tried specifying a mask through the phone app but it did not list her mask. Should the chemist have configured a mask into the DreamStation?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation undetected leaks.
Dreamstation only reports major leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
MrEGuy,
Have you requested the Clinicians manual for the DreamStation?
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

If there is a mask setting feature, it would tell you in this manual. I know the PR60 Series has a setting for PR masks called "mask resistance". I would think that Phillips Respironics would have carried that feature through on the DreamStation.

Also, the machine will only show large leaks, but that doesn't mean you don't have a leak issue that needs attention, especially if it disturbs sleep.

Download Sleepyhead software, and you will be able to see the leak rate and a host of other information.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your mask has to have a built in leakage to prevent CO2 build up. It should be so designed that the intentional leakage won't bother you. A mask that blows air in your face is one to take back and try another.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2016, 08:38 AM)MrEGuy Wrote: Does the machine need to know what mask is fitted to allow for masks releasing the exhaled air at different rates? Could this explain why the DreamStation did not detect leaks? I also tried specifying a mask through the phone app but it did not list her mask. Should the chemist have configured a mask into the DreamStation?

Thanks

The DreamStation has a setting to adjust the level of air pressure relief for each Respironics mask. The DreamWear mask user manual says it's setting is x1. To put that setting into your DreamStation do the following:

1. Push in the knob on the front of the machine to enter the Main Menu (the first one you see).

2. Turn the knob counter clockwise until My Setup is displayed and the push in the knob in to enter My Setup.

3. Turn the knob clockwise until Mask Type is displayed. If x1 is displayed you are good to go and you can skip step 4 to step 5. If something other than x1 is displayed, push in the knob to enter Mask Type and follow steps 4 and 5.

4. Turn the until x1 is displayed and then push in the knob to select.

5. Turn the knob counter clockwise until Main Menu is displayed and push in the knob to enter the main menu.

Hope that helps.

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Determine where the leaks are coming from. Are they coming from the vents in the front? If so, that is expected and is not a problem (except for you). If the leaks are coming from the edge of the mask, then it is a problem. However, unless the leak is greater than the machine can compensate for, it will not be reported.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
"Dreamstation only reports major leaks."
Good to know thanks.

"Have you requested the Clinicians manual for the DreamStation?"
Thanks for that. Not yet, as this is a rented machine my spidey sense is telling me to leave it alone. Different story when my wife gets her own.
"Download Sleepyhead software and you will be able to see the leak rate and a host of other information."
I am going to make a copy of the SD card before we return the machine and take a look at all that stuff.

“It should be so designed that the intentional leakage won't bother you." Yes the intentional leakage is not a concern. At this point in time it looks like she just had a bad night. I am noticing she is getting small leaks more often but not as bad as the night before I started this thread.

pupcamper, Thanks. Despite my comment above I think I might double check that that one has been set.

Thanks everyone for your help :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 0 20 1 hour ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 120 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 131 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 85 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 4 192 03-09-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 455 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 699 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.