Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation vs ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet, I got to try both here's my thoughts
Dreamstation vs ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet, I got to try both here's my thoughts
Luckily due to a mix up with my DME, I got to trial both a PR Dreamstation and a ResMed AirSense 10 for about 2 weeks each. (I actually got to try 2 of the ResMeds, they sent a new one that had a feature the other one didn't have: RESPONSE soft/standard)

I went back and forth on which one made me feel better and finally came to the conclusion that they both do their job very well. It was close but in the end I ended up choosing the ResMed. Here's some reasons why:

The main reason I chose the ResMed is because I found it's forced oscillation method less disruptive to my sleep than the single heavier pressure pulse
The Dreamstation uses. 

Other reasons were:
1) the screen on the Dreamstation was too bright
2) the auto on feature didn't work as well on the Dreamstation
3) I preferred the look of the ResMed

The 2nd ResMed I tried, I kept. I was pleasantly surprised to see it had a feature the other one didn't have in the clinical menu: RESPONSE: standard/soft. I noticed my leaks and AHI were better using soft. 

I did notice a couple other things when comparing Respronics vs ResMed:
1) The Respronics scores higher AHI's at the same setting than the ResMed does (even when using soft on the ResMed)
2) for some reason on the Dreamstation my inspiration 95% times were consistently way higher than my expiration times. I noticed Respronics in general seem that way in other people's sleepyhead screenshots too. Not sure if I'm just looking for that pattern and that's why I see it or if it even matters. 

Anyways, I think that both machines did their job and treated my apneas very well and I felt great on both, I know I could have been happy with either.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation vs ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet, I got to try both here's my thoughts
Thank you Moonlight Graham for posting your experience with both brands.  This should be very helpful to others trying to decide on a machine.  You are lucky to have been able to trial both machines, most here haven't had that option.

There are differences with the algorithms between ResMed and PR machines, where ResMed will react faster that PR in raising pressure when needed.  Some may like that feature and some may be bothered by that.  

The bottom line is what you are most comfortable with.  Both machines will get the job done.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation vs ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet, I got to try both here's my thoughts
Does the Res Med "For Her" behave more like a DreamStation in that regard? Or am I misunderstanding the difference?
Post Reply Post Reply
The soft/comfort response mode on my Airsense 10 autoset machine seems to make my AHI worse, so I am staying with the standard mode....
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2017, 09:06 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Does the Res Med "For Her" behave more like a DreamStation in that regard?  Or am I misunderstanding the difference?

The soft algorithm, or for her, are the same.  Resmed pressure changes are all faster to increase, and a bit slower to decrease than Philips. The soft algorithm seems a bit slower in both directions, but you'd have a hard time telling the difference looking at the graphs.  Philips has the distinctive pattern of being very slow to increase, even with events, and the 1.5 cm pressure fluctuation tests throughout the night.  Philips machines tend to stay at minimum settings in the absence of numerous events or pressure inducing snores, flow limits and flow changes.  Resmed will increase and you won't even know what caused it, and it stays higher on average.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider - That's very interesting. It must just be how the software writers wrote their preferences for their algortithms, huh?

Thanks for explaining it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Where is the soft setting or does one need a firmware update on their machine to enable the feature?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2017, 02:50 AM)Hmm888 Wrote: Where is the soft setting or does one need a firmware update on their machine to enable the feature?

It's in the clinicians menu under comfort/response.  Keep in mind that unless you have a "for her" model or a newer Autoset (late 2016) you may Not have the soft setting.  The answer to whether firmware can be updated is probably not.   Most DME don't have any clue how to update the firmware, and there is some discussion over whether the I uodate requires a new board.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2017, 02:50 AM)Hmm888 Wrote: Where is the soft setting or does one need a firmware update on their machine to enable the feature?

Based on your profile, you are using a Respironics fixed CPAP Pro, so of course it doesn't exist for you. The feature is only on newer Resmed Airsense 10 Autosets and Autoset for her.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What version software/firmware is running on the new machine?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,713 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 104 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  DreamStation 2 vs ResMed S9 gonzalo 3 69 03-25-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 836 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 167 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.