Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

verysincere - Therapy Thread
RE: Any ideas on why my AHI has recently deteriorated?
I can’t really comment on why but I do think it is positional apnea. Experiment and see what to help
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Crazy inconsistent successive nights
After a rising AHI of late (averaging around 4.0), I exchanged my 3" cervical collar for a 4" collar.  As a result my AHI on Monday night went back to a much more satisfactory 2.21.   However, last night (Tuesday) I had the highest AHI of the year: 8.57.    Particularly surprising was the 6 central apnea events---because I rarely have more than 1 in an entire night ever since I set my trigger setting to the very highest.

I can't think of anything out of the ordinary for last night and there were no medication changes.

I am very careful about setting my chin strap so that it pulls up on my front jaw tip but doesn't extend to the tissues further back under my jaw where there might be pressure upward on my tongue so as to compromise the airway. 

I'm amazed that my pressures went so high. I hadn't had that degree of severity since I started wearing a cervical collar for sleep.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Crazy inconsistent successive nights
It looks to me as positional apnea. This is when you get into a sleeping position that causes you to chin tuck. Your chin is dropping to your Sternum and cutting off your own airway. 

Have you changed to higher pillows, back sleeping?  Those both are reason that many people have found as a problem. 

I would look at recent changes because you were fine in the 1st chart. If it is NOT a problem that has just started you may need a collar. I have a link in my signature. It shows people without a collar and the same people with a collar.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: verysincere - Therapy Thread
verysincere - I have merged your last 3 threads since they all relate to your therapy. This also provides readers your historical timeline.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Crazy inconsistent successive nights
(06-23-2021, 08:56 AM)staceyburke Wrote: It looks to me as positional apnea. This is when you get into a sleeping position that causes you to chin tuck. Your chin is dropping to your Sternum and cutting off your own airway. 

Have you changed to higher pillows, back sleeping?  Those both are reason that many people have found as a problem. 

I would look at recent changes because you were fine in the 1st chart. If it is NOT a problem that has just started you may need a collar. I have a link in my signature. It shows people without a collar and the same people with a collar.

(1) MY 4" cervical collar is relatively rigid and makes chin-drop to the sternum impossible.

(2) My relatively thin pillow is unchanged. 

(3) Due to a neurological problem, I had to abandon side-sleeping about twenty years ago. Fortunately, back-sleeping has worked out well for me

(4) I know of no recent changes.   I had averaged AHI=1.85 for the first half of June.

Thanks for everyone's assistance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Central events aren't generally positional in the same way as obstructive events are. They may simply be sleep-wake junk because of your more broken sleep now. There are only four of them, and they can happen when you roll over or wake up and take a deeper breath. It's entirely normal to have the odd one or two, especially if you're not fully asleep because of some other arousal. They happen all the time when you're awake (think how many times you might hold your breath for a few seconds while awake). More of an issue is the obstructional events that the others are working on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2021, 02:42 AM)Ratchick Wrote: Central events aren't generally positional in the same way as obstructive events are. They may simply be sleep-wake junk because of your more broken sleep now. 

I definitely agree. The CAs are sleep-wake transitional apnea events.  My point is that for many weeks after selecting the very highest trigger setting, my sleep was so "smooth" that I typically had one or zero CAs per night.  So the increased CAs are just another evidence that my sleep architecture has changed.

Last night was yet another example of how just in the last week my pressures have skyrocketed for reasons which remain unknown to me. My AHI has increased as well. (I averaged AHI=1.85 the first half of June after introducing a cervical collar on June 1. Now I range between 4 and 9.)

I've attached the OSCAR graphs so you can see how my pressures have skyrocketed. (I used to average just above 12 EPAP and as the pressure goes up, my dry mouth problems get worse. Xylimelts haven't helped.)

I wasn't able to get past very shallow and brief sleep after 6am.  I have had daytime fatigue ever since my AHI went up.  Early June was a great time for me because my sleep was so good.

I am wearing my 4" cervical collar tight enough such that my chin is in contact with the top of the collar---and yet the collar is not so tight as to put pressure farther back on the between-the-jaws soft tissue (so no tongue displacement) and there is no pressure on the throat.

I don't ever recall seeing so many high-bars in my flow limitations graph.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,057 11 hours ago
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 151 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 248 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,259 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,331 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 950 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,193 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.