Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamwear Gel Pillow - exhaust slot noise
RE: Dreamwear Gel Pillow - exhaust slot noise
Thanks for the help Damian, so a slit right above the current one? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a little nick vertically (up-down). But this was for whistling, not overall noise. Caveat Emptor.

Good luck,
D.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a number of suggestions in this thread for enlarging or constricting the mask cushion vents to reduce noise.

Be very aware that the size of these is carefully calibrated to minimise re-breathing of exhaled carbon dioxide. Blocking or obstructing them could result in lowered blood oxygen levels and/or changes in pressure. Enlarging them could produce misleading leak statistics on the machine, or changes in pressure again. Either could result in sub-optimal treatment.

It's useful to know that this is mainly an issue with the gel cushion, so I don't waste money on it.

What follows belongs in the review section really, but I'm not yet allowed to post there due to forum policy as a new member. Strange policy. I need to make 4 posts in other sections first apparently.

My own experience of the nasal cushion version is great. I haven't tried the other options. The best mask I've ever had in 15 years of CPAP use. It has produced the lowest AHI and leak rate of any of the 10 or so masks I've tried over the years, and is the most comfortable. As I always sleep on my back, I've had no issues with it moving, though sometimes the rear strap does slightly ride up the back of my head.

When the mask was brand new, it was perfect. After some weeks use I began to get some slight soreness just where the nasal septum meets my face. I'm guessing due to a leak as the silicone becomes more flexible with use. Replacing the cushion frequently would be an effective but costly solution, as the options would be to order online and pay, or a 2 hour round trip to the NHS sleep clinic each time.

I've found that a tiny 1/4 wide inch strip of very thin medical adhesive tape (Mefix in the UK, intended for securing dressings to skin) applied below my nose between the cushion and my lip, and just extending onto the septum a little, provides skin protection without causing a leak, and with no danger of it coming loose and being blown into my nostrils.

With all of the full face or nasal facial masks I've ever used, I've had to use strips of the same tape on the bridge of my nose, or at the sides, to prevent sores. 

I've also used nasal pillows masks without issues for several years, but after recent nasal surgery the airflow is now greater through one nostril than the other and one side of the pillows always leaks. ENT surgeon said to correct that I'd now need turbinate reduction. The Dreamwear mask was supplied to avoid that, having previously tried a very similar Resmed mask which also leaked as there's a separate hole for each nostril in theirs.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the DreamWear gel pillows for some time and I don't have any noise. I did switch to a heated tube a couple years ago, though, and I'm not sure why. Maybe I was getting that gurgling sound? If so, the heated tube stopped it.
Post Reply Post Reply
A suggestion for the head gear.  I bought this from amazon and it works great to keep the head gear from slipping up.  It is easily removed from one frame to another.  I have 2 frames and a different size (one med one large) pillow on each.  Just detach from one and put it on the other when I need to change.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the Dreamwear mask, but I have been using the F&P Bravida. It is quieter and has a better nostril interface. I wish I could get or make a pillow for the Dreamwear mask that had the best features of the Bravida.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone, Noob alert.

I also got the Dreamwear Gel Pillow mask after having issues with the DW Nasal mask leaking when I move around at night.
It was great for the first 7 days and then It whistled sometimes for 3 days and now it just makes that annoying sound... Went back to my Nasal mask and thought I had wasted a couple of hundred dollars.
However, today a work mate said jokingly “slap some vaso on it, that’ll fix her”... so I did and it worked...
The Vaseline has stopped the whistle but left the exhalation port open. Let’s hope it gets me through the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don’t mean to give you a hard time but iyou can buy the frame ($10), head gear ($15), nose ($18) and hose end (18), all from Amazon.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh and in addition to the above post...

I used a small amount of Vaseline only on the outside of the mask exhalation port. Vaseline and CPAP is an interesting topic in itself so please be aware before trying this at home..
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Staceyburke,
Pricing here in Australia is a little higher than that, even on Amazon or EBay.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,268 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,861 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 264 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.