Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamwear full face mask setting for Airsense 10
RE: Dreamwear full face mask setting for Airsense 10
OK, this are the 2nd two screen shots using the pillows.

Post Reply Post Reply
@SarcasticDave64 ... and now to the 'meat' of the matter OSCAR data for my 2nd night where I switched to the small FFM. This gave me a AHI=2.16 not an outlandish AHI=8.67 ... but even 2.16 is like double what I was used to seeing.

BTW my initial sleep study from 2017 done in a sleep lab resulted with:

"There were 8 obstructive apneas and 26 hypopneas, which produced and overall AHI of 6.8 (2.7 during NREM and 26.6 during REM). Respiratory events by body position produced and AHI of 1.5 in the supine position and 8.8 in the lef- lateral position."

1st two OSCAR charts with FFM

Post Reply Post Reply
2nd two OSCAR charts with FFM

Thank you very much @SarcasticDave64 for your help. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Sarcastic Dave is more experienced with all this than me, so take that into consideration. I am however a stubborn and obsessive cuss when it comes to running tests on my masks.

Dave's analysis of how leaks can skew AHI numbers is doubtless true. That said, I have had nights using nasal pillows, usually with a collar and sometimes tape to address mouth leaks, and where my leak rate was from 0-to periods of 15, with low ahi. These nights would register as "no minutes over the red line" on Oscar. Then, I would have nights using nasal pillows where my leaks were higher--perhaps 1 or 2 minutes over the red line, but more over 10 on the leak line. These would likewise have low AHI numbers.

My question is, when do I stop trusting the AHI numbers, relative to leaks? In other words, if I have no minutes over the red line, but some (many?) over 10, is my AHI report accurate? If so, I would likely decide to live with a collar, perhaps mouth tape (another story) and nasal pillows. And more leaks than I'd like.

But I'll follow this thread and hope Mike finds a solution to his FFM. then I'll do what he does!
Post Reply Post Reply
In this case so far, it looks like this goes to prove why theories can be blown very quickly when seeing data. Your AHI went up slightly after the mask type change to full face and leaking went up slightly also.

Inconclusive as it's only 2 separate one night shots. However this may not be an issue of any sort. Conclusion thus far? I'm more Watson than Holmes this time around.

FWIW try building a trend, seeing how AHI and leak rates continue. Meanwhile, I'm soaking my head at the Turkish bath with tea and krimpets. Or better yet coffee and donuts.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Where oh where is the 'head bang' emoji. I could use one. Yes, I'm going to continue using the FFM for at least a week.

@SarcasticDave64 ... a simple question I hope. With respect to the leak rate chart I posted from before the FFM does it indicate I'm having a problem with leaks that need to be addressed? Do you think I'm chasing my tail by trying to lower the leak rate with a FFM as compared to the Pillows I've been using since I started.

After 3 1/2 years being on 'therapy' I still feel like using a CPAP is not helping me sleep better, longer or wake up anymore refreshed than without it. In my house the biggest benefit is to my wife because it certainly stopped my snoring. That is one of the main reasons I keep using it, so I can sleep in the same bed/room as my wife. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
@hegel ... a kind of related question. What do you think of the fit / comfort of the Dreamwear FFM? I've had to snug up the head band straps tighter than I expected to 'pass' the Airsense's Mask Fit test. It's not super tight, but tighter than I expected. Perhaps it's because I have a close trimmed goatee. Just thought I'd ask your thoughts / opinion of it's fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
oh, oh, ... one other oddity I noticed. With the FFM the humidifier tanks is almost bone dry in the morning. With the Pillow Mask it consistently only used 1/3 of the water in the tank. This is baffling to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's see... October 24 think this was to be a nasal or pillows...

The pattern is probably more like a mouth leak, flatter, somewhat elongated and round ish, mask leaking will likely be more sharp spikey stuff.

The stats on the left panel for leaks are as follows

Min 0.0 / Med(ian) 1.2 / 95% 9.6 / Max 13.2

Did to the ResMed leak rate redline at 24, all are below that, so it's OK. My method to not down leaking concern is overview in the chart trace, does it look bad? Then look at the left panel. I actually skip Max and go for the 95%, this is where your leaks were at it below x value 95% of the session. Your 95% was 9.6, a decent cushion below 24. No issue. Case closed on this one in particular.

Your full face was similar but leak rates in each was a click or so higher. Still a non issue. I guess what threw off my supposition was the wrong numbers on your AHI had jumped to 8 ish, I think you'd misread or a typo thing. Whatever it was no harm no foul.

If your numbers were similar on leaks, you can safely choose either, where comfort wins.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2021, 07:18 AM)MikeE3 Wrote: Likewise, with all due respect I did some research / google-fu / apnea board searching as well as reading the owners books and info on the packaging of my Dreamwear masks before asking the question. I don't have any Resmed masks. 

The Dreamwear FFM Mask instructions / package show a setting of "X1". (which BTW is the same value Phillips says to use for the Dreamwear (Pillows) Under the Nose Nasal Mask).  That's not a setting used by the Airsense 10 unit. 

Resmed's owner's book says to set their similar mask, the Airfit F30I, to Full Face and for their N30I Nasal mask use the pillows setting. 

So to me their's kind of a discrepancy between the two manufacturers which confuses me when using the Dreamwear FFM on the Resmed Airsense 10.

Phillips set's their FFM to the same value as their under the nose pillow mask but Resmed set's their version of the mask to Full Face. 

So that's why I asked the question because I'm mix / matching manufacturers mask and CPAP unit. If both my mask and unit were from the same manufacturer I have the info on what to set mask type.
Thanks Mike.

Read the instruction sheet. I use an N20 (ResMed).  I had it set to NASAL
That's wrong. The instruction book says to use the PILLOWS setting. I've put that setting in my S10 "for her"

Thanks so much.

I came here hoping to help you. You've helped me a lot!
Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 160 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 530 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,206 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,614 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 861 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 301 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.