Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Comfort / Vanity products
Comfort / Vanity products
So I've been at this for a couple months, finally getting some consistent sleep.  Now I'm ready to tackle the non-essentials: strap marks and minor leaks.

I read a comment somewhere that called mask liners "a game changer."  They sound like something I'd like, since the silicone cushion feels pretty warm and sticky on my face when I wake up.  My F30 mask is kind of a hybrid full-face, only goes as high as the bottom of my nose, so I'm not sure there are liners that would even fit that design.  But I'm certainly open to suggestions.  Meanwhile, I'll fiddle with my heat and humidity settings a bit; it's pretty cold in northern Michigan, so I probably have things cranked up a little high right now. 

And I'm definitely interested in strap covers; I crank my mask down pretty tight, and the "racing stripes" on my face in the morning are quite prominent.  There are so many products out there!  All with drastically different pricing.  I've also read of homemade options, like pipe insulation; I even tried my own version with some old socks cut to size and slipped over my cheek straps.  It was pretty ghetto, and seemed to cause more leaking, so I'm ready to try a better solution.  I just don't want to spend a fortune on something that doesn't help, and probably can't be returned. 

Product (or homemade) recommendations, anyone?  I'm really not terribly vain, but I look pretty ridiculous when I wake up...thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Comfort / Vanity products
There are covers for your straps available at any of the suppliers listed. Sorry I don’t have the link but you can find it in the members section if I remember correctly. That said you should back off the tension on the mask some because modern masks are meant to inflate. If they can’t inflate they don’t seal properly. I have the F30 also and it took me about a month to find the correct fit for my face. The top strap on your head is very important to get in the right position. It’s very hard to explain without actually showing you but place the mask on your face with the nasal cushion just barely below your nose. Now take the top strap and make it so the strap and just make it so it keeps the mask it that position. Now put the headgear on so it’s loosely fits. Now tighten both straps just enough to be comfortable. Now either turn your machine on or use the mask fit function. Lay down and tighten the nasal cushion just enough to stop the leak. Now do the same for the lower strap. That will solve a lot of your strap marks. You can still get the strap covers to prevent marks when you sleep on your side but it’s important to get the correct fit first. Small puffs of air throughout the night is perfectly normal and won’t effect your therapy and you won’t wake up with strap marks that last a long time after you wake up. I know this is a lot more than what you where asking for but a properly fitting mask will solve most of your problems. The only time I wake up with marks is if I lay on my side. And those that do show mostly go away before I leave for work. Have patience and you will get it right. Just follow those steps and you’ll soon be strap mark free (for the most part)
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
I go back & forth between the AirFit F20 and the AirFit F30 mask. I used to get strap marks on my face. I don't so much anymore. 

I'm about 16 months now into my SA Therapy. My face has adjusted, if you want to call it that. Not sure what else it could be called.  Thinking-about

Anyways, I just figured strap marks and irritation contact marks were part and parcel of the overall process.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pad-a-Cheek makes both mask liners and strap covers for your mask. I use their strap covers for my mask, and they're great!

Supplier #31 here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply
Remzz liners are great. There's another called Silent Night but I've not tried them. Check with any of the suppliers in the list. Link is at the top and bottom of every page in the forum.

Masks are not supposed to be "cranked down" to your face. If you have to do that because of leaks, perhaps you have the wrong size mask or the wrong mask for you. Over tightening can cause leaks as well as shorten the life of the mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2020, 06:36 AM)arpeggioh Wrote: So I've been at this for a couple months, finally getting some consistent sleep.  Now I'm ready to tackle the non-essentials: strap marks and minor leaks.

I read a comment somewhere that called mask liners "a game changer."  They sound like something I'd like, since the silicone cushion feels pretty warm and sticky on my face when I wake up.  My F30 mask is kind of a hybrid full-face, only goes as high as the bottom of my nose, so I'm not sure there are liners that would even fit that design.  But I'm certainly open to suggestions.  Meanwhile, I'll fiddle with my heat and humidity settings a bit; it's pretty cold in northern Michigan, so I probably have things cranked up a little high right now. 

And I'm definitely interested in strap covers; I crank my mask down pretty tight, and the "racing stripes" on my face in the morning are quite prominent.  There are so many products out there!  All with drastically different pricing.  I've also read of homemade options, like pipe insulation; I even tried my own version with some old socks cut to size and slipped over my cheek straps.  It was pretty ghetto, and seemed to cause more leaking, so I'm ready to try a better solution.  I just don't want to spend a fortune on something that doesn't help, and probably can't be returned. 

Product (or homemade) recommendations, anyone?  I'm really not terribly vain, but I look pretty ridiculous when I wake up...thanks in advance.
Hi!
Everyone here knows more than I do...but from my experience....

When I come home with a new mask and sleep I'm ok. So a new mask is ok. No marks.

Sleep for some weeks and my marks have come back. Marks on my face.  What's caused that?
* sleep hygiene--I'm terrible at washing my mask daily.  Accumulated "stuff" from my face. Easily prevented...
* tight straps---If I wake up and my mask is hissing...I crank my straps. Tighter. eventually too tight.
* PROOF==when I buy the same mask again the head gear is shorter than the one I'm replacing.
* hose pull--a poster here said best change he made was using a hose reel to support his hose. Otherwise every movement in bed pulls the mask. My mask has it's hose on the bottom, so a rollover or whatever pulls my mask. So I tighten the headgear.

So consider getting a hose reel if you don't have one. I'm sleeping better and my "numbers" are better using my hose reel.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
DaveL, what a good suggestion! Additional hose-management devices are called hose stands or hose lifts. I use a Hose Buddy at home -- very sturdy. When I'm traveling, I use the Arden Innovations stand, which collapses to an amazingly small size.

All three are available through Supplier #1 here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I don't know the name on mine. I'd bought it some time ago...

An early story. I used a hose lift. I'd heard it helped. It was along side the bed; cpap on the night stand. I had a night mare and thought I was being attacked by an animal! I was so scared I swatted cpap and all right across the room! It all survived. somehow.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 315 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Do Comfort Settings Distort Performance? Nehpets 5 492 08-31-2023, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Nehpets
  Products or solutions for cleaning the inside the machine jmordoj 2 776 07-01-2023, 04:13 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  AirMini pressure too high for comfort Sleepinator 3 1,404 04-22-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Sleepinator
  Any products out there to track body positions? CorruptAlligator 12 1,519 10-26-2021, 12:01 AM
Last Post: S. Manz
  Comfort settings for DreamWear masks. CarlFSmith 2 1,129 04-17-2021, 11:19 AM
Last Post: April
  Resmed Airsense 10 Humidifier Settings For Comfort louman1961 5 1,411 09-23-2020, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Cpapian

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.