Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamwear leaking at six months
Dreamwear leaking at six months
At six months my Dreamwear nasal cushion mask has suddenly started leaking, after months of no to few leaks, and my AHI has gone up correspondingly. I've changed cushions about once a month, and just replaced the headgear which was getting sort of worn. So I am wondering if I need to replace the frame as well -- it looks fine and doesn't seem different to me, but that's the only thing that hasn't been changed. Is there a way to tell if it's stretched, or maybe developed some pinhole leaks, or ???
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamwear leaking at six months
IDK anything about your mask but it should be easy to check for holes in the hose. best way to determine if something is wrong is to try it with another part. maybe you have some old masks, hoses, cushions lying around? again IDK about your mask but the resmed p10's vent is said to plug up. regular cleaning isn't sufficient so it's best to blast with a water jet flosser. something to check with you mask. again with the p10, which may or may not be comparable to yours, the headgear strap is notorious for stretching. I use provided clips or a safety pin to take a loop out of it to tighten it up.

you should monitor your flow rate at the time of your leaks to determine if you are mouth leaking (look for abbreviated exhales). that would suggest some other options like a chin strap, soft cervical collar, ffm and taping.

fwiw, my leaks and/or ahi sometimes inexplicably rise. recently my ahi went up by a factor of 5, from roughly 0.2 to 1.0. unexpectedly, leaks seem to be falling at the same time. whatever, when it happens, after a week or so things usually settle down or I monkey with the settings until they do. no idea why it happens, just that it does and that it may or may not require attention. like with most things cpap, wait to see if it's a one-off or a trend, if you haven't already determined that, while you test or replace the peripherals.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2019, 01:11 PM)bemused Wrote: At six months my Dreamwear nasal cushion mask has suddenly started leaking, after months of no to few leaks, and my AHI has gone up correspondingly.

Can you post your leak rate graph?

Quote:Is there a way to tell if it's stretched, or maybe developed some pinhole leaks, or ???

Try a new one and see. Masks are designed to last three months, although many people report getting years of use out of them.

One possibility is that you are mouth-leaking. That's why I would like to see your leak rate graph.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have just started taping my mouth as I've been waking up with dry mouth. And last night was somewhat better. So I will try that for a while and see how it goes. But probably will also order a new frame for the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,654 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 485 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 295 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 674 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.