Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamwear mask air vent idea
Dreamwear mask air vent idea
I've just started CPAP the past 2 months using a Dreamstation and trying both Dreamwear full-face and nasal mask. My #1 issue so far has been the blowing air from the vents - both the vent on the mask and the vent on the elbow. I'm a stomach sleeper, so it's very easy for the air to blow against the pillow or sheets and make a whooshing noise - especially when the pressure increases.

I've researched solutions for this, but haven't found any good ones.

I don't know if any product reps read this board, but I think a small change to the headgear could make a big improvement.

My idea is that instead of the vent at the front of the mask, the vent there should feed into tubes that go up both sides of the head - like the air tubes with the incoming air. These tubes would attach to each other around the area of the elbow with a T-connector. The T-connector would then attach to another hose that would carry the exhalation air away to a location of the user's discretion (i.e, somewhere where it wouldn't make noise or blow on anyone).

Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamwear mask air vent idea
I know a few masks to vent at the top of the user's head already. It doesn't have a T or extended tubes for exhaust, as that over-complicates the mask. It probably enhances rebreathing carbon dioxide as well.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamwear has vents at the front and at the elbow. The elbow vent also easily blows against things - hence the need for a tube to carry the air away. With the right size tube, this should not cause any re-breathing of CO2. This improvement would be worth the increased complexity for many users.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've experienced this with many masks, and am frustrated that it causes me disturbed sleep throughout the night (as it wakes me up).

When I wore the Dreamwear, I moved my head farther away from the headboard (so it wouldn't blow air against that), and I got a buckwheat pillow which I arranged in a way that wouldn't block the vent and would also not cause noise by the vent blowing on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Res Med air fit or PR Dreamwear.... head gear will be better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 295 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 787 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 465 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,778 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,413 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 700 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.