Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamwear mask vs. Nasal Mask Pressure
Dreamwear mask vs. Nasal Mask Pressure
If the CPAP machine is set to 10 cm will a regular nasal mask delivery 10 cm to the patient or is there a pressure drop in the mask?

Same CPAP machine set to 10 cm but with a DreamWear mask, will the DreamWear mask delivery 10 cm, or is there a pressure drop in it?  

Basically, which mask will have a higher pressure drop?

Thank you,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamwear mask vs. Nasal Mask Pressure
All CPAP's of current manufacture have a settable parameter to adjust for volumetric differences between a Full Face, Nasal, and Pillows style masks.   Most have a setting to select between a slimline and full size hose as well.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
After thinking more about your question, I wanted to add the following.  

The pressure, 10cm in your question, is measured as a back pressure.  When you inhale the CPAP senses the pressure drop and increases the blower to maintain the required pressure.  The heart of the CPAP is a blower design and sensor that are capable of almost instantaneous pressure response.  The blower's size has to be larger than actually required to be certified to supply and maintain pressures up to 20cm in a CPAP and 25cm in a BiPAP reliably.  

Your question leads me to believe that you are concerned about pressure drop at the mask.  Even if there is a pressure drop, you're basically using the pressure number as a reference point for your therapy.  The recorded sleep data results would include any pressure drop at the mask.  For a straight CPAP,  you would be making any further pressure adjustments based on your current pressure number, thus negating any pressure drop at the mask..

A variable pressure CPAP, or Auto, model uses the flow rates and pressure patterns along with their waveforms to determine a pressure that will best address your current need.  Again, since the patterns and waveforms are based on the user's response to the indicated pressure, the mask pressure drop would be included in the data as well.  The resultant pressure change made by the CPAP would render the pressure drop at the mask as insignificant.

I hope this addresses your concerns.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does changing the type of mask on the machine change the pressure delivered to the patient?

When I went to a dream wear mask from a regular nasal mask, should I have changed the setting from nasal mask to nasal pillows?

My concern is that too much pressure was delivered to me when I changed from a nasal mask to the dream wear mask as I did not make any other changes to the machine when changing mask types.

Thank you,
Post Reply Post Reply
It's the same pressure. It will feel differently because the pressure on a nasal and full face mask is equal on the inside and outside of the nose, whereas. a pillows mask injects the pressure directly into the inside only. This creates a pressure differential that is not present in the other 2 masks..
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Glad I read this post as it is something I wondered about as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 82 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,558 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 151 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.