Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

NEW S10 USER
RE: NEW S10 USER
Unsoundsleeper,

Here's my two cents:

1) Sure, it's worth exploring Auto mode. Set the min pressure high enough where you don't feel like you're suffocating when you're trying to get to sleep. Given that you've been using straight 15cm for several years, it's very reasonable to leave the max pressure at 20 to see where the machine wants to take the pressure.

2) If you wind up not liking Auto mode because the varying pressure tends to wake you up, you can always switch back to straight CPAP once you have a couple of weeks worth of APAP data. The beauty of owning an APAP is that it can be run in either mode. And you can use the APAP data to figure out a good starting value for straight CPAP if you decide to switch back to straight CPAP.

3) Since you've been sleeping comfortably for years and years with your old REMstar while NOT using Flex, I'd say turn EPR OFF. My guess is that since you might just find the pressure changes caused by EPR to be annoying and distracting since you are used to a fixed pressure blowing at you throughout the entire inhale/exhale breath cycle. And annoying and distracting things make it harder to get to sleep.

4) You say you're looking forward to trying a heated hose. Heated hoses presume that you are using the heated humidifier. It's well worth trying, but if you soon feel like you're trying to get to sleep in a swamp, then consider going back to a regular unheated hose and turning the humidifier down or off.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Unsoundsleeper,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your new machine and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone.

One more question. I see some machine had bad seals that caused noise. Are those seals user replaceable or will the machine have to be sent in if I get a noisy one?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 12:41 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: The issue seems to be no sleep study for years. So, why not try 4-20.

In my experience this is a very bad idea. The machine struggles to cope with such a wide range and tends to top out at a higher pressure than I need and stay there. Narrowing the range in my case to 11-16 prevents it from flat topping at the top end, which it did when I ran it wide open.

A lot of DME's set you up with the range wide open (or so I have heard) and I think it's a bad idea and makes it harder to use the machine properly and results in failure to get good PAP therapy..

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
first night disaster
resmed series 9 machine

Positive airway pressure device

h5i with humidifier

I have the full mask. Mask was too tight fixed that. There is tremendous
air pressure. No leakage on mask. But is it normal for air to come out thru
the tubing connected to the hose.

I can not stand the air pressure. My lungs actually hurt. Is the air
pressure too high. Did i just need the nose breathing mask.
I think i was hyperventilating and breathing hard because of too high
air pressure.

I was told 10% of people use full mask.

I went thru cpap test at hospital.

Struggling any help is appreciated. Something is very wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
ow does the air pressure feel compared to the air pressure during your sleep study in the hospital?
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,152 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.